Serious Philosophy Discussion

What would a counterpart seek to prove exactly?

I think the cosmological argument is a good argument that doesn't tell you too much about the entity or whatever it concludes with (nor do I think that's what Aquinas intended to do with his version). The arguments that are often used in conjunction with it are not so good. Addressing the soundness of the premises is work for physics now though, imo.

The ex nihilo argument is similar. Could nothing ever have existed? Can't the universe be infinite? How far back can we trace the creation of "stuff"?

Ancient philosophers and theologians aren't the people I would turn to for answers to those questions.

Something something authenticity, something something.

A philosopher I follow actually recommended that as his favourite work of fiction.

I found it pretty dull, though it may be because I agreed with it so thoroughly that nothing about it surprised me.

Have not seen the film.
Beginning and end of the universe are very western ways of conceiving existence that are linear conceptions of time and space that are heavily influenced by religious beliefs. Science has adopted the genesis mythology and replaced it with big bang, same as the end of days being the collapsing of the universe back on itself. I find some Indigenous cultural views being circular, as opposed to Western linear concepts, as an interesting counterpoint to this view. Who is to say that the universe has not always existed or that it doesn't move in cycles?

This thread is awesome to read. I should expect no less from the legend @Bullitt68.

I've always been fascinated by the concept of psychological egoism, first proposed by Jeremy Bentham IIRC.

And best proposed by Ayn Rand :cool:

The TLDR version is people are always motivated by appetites or aversions, in anything they do.

I think that this is common sense and I think that wanting things to be otherwise is idiotic, but philosophy has for so long worked from the premise that judgments and actions are "interested" pace Kant and has concerned itself with the questions of whether or not that's bad and whether or not we should (want to) change. Egoism says no, altruism says yes. Enter Rand...

What are some specific bits from Bentham on egoism?

Its main critique being propensity for circular logic

Can you elaborate on this?

Have you seen “Lo and Behold, Reveries of the Connected World” ?

Hadn't even heard of it.

From that documentary to what I’m reading here (which seems to echo mainstream discontent around modern academia) it looks like they're opening up some silly new realms of inquiry in the humanities that will *probably, eventually, go extinct.

*Hopefully :oops:

Naturally stoicism is my favorite branch of philosophy but by far this book was perfect in every conceivable way for me.

I've always wanted to write an essay on Stallone's Rambo character against a backdrop of stoicism but I've yet to read deeply into it. Who are your favorites? Any quotes handy?

It is especially sad to see the kind of pain and wounding and smallness that gets passed on generationally and to know that if just a few generations could maintain a consistent focus on growing emotionally and psychologically then that entire line of people would be changed forever.

tenor.gif

Sounds like collectivism to me, if individual needs to cultivate his character in order to become better member of the family/society.
<Fedor23>

I think your conception of individualism is too narrow. Individualism≠Solipsism. Individualist philosophies can and should still have an eye towards the outside world, otherwise you're dealing at best with only a partial philosophy.

"For the scientific-minded, the worst aspect of philosophy is that it produces no universally valid results; it provides nothing that we can know and thus possess..." [BUT] "It lies in the very nature of philosophy, as distinguished from the sciences, that in any of its forms it must dispense with the unanimous recognition of all. The certainty to which it aspires is not of the objective, scientific sort, which is the same for every mind; it is an inner certainty in which a man's whole being participates. Whereas science always pertains to particular objects, the knowledge of which is by no means indispensable to all men, philosophy deals with the whole of being, which concerns man as man, with a truth which, wherever it is manifested, moves us more deeply than any scientific knowledge."

tenor.gif

From Emerson's essay "Behavior":

"The visible carriage or action of the individual, as resulting from his organization and his will combined, we call manners. What are they but thought entering the hands and feet, controlling the movements of the body, the speech, and behavior? There is always a best way of doing everything, if it be to boil an egg. Manners are the happy way of doing things [...] now repeated and hardened into usage. They form at last a rich varnish with which the routine of life is washed and its details adorned [...] Manners are very communicable; men catch them from each other [...] Genius invents fine manners, which the baron and the baroness copy very fast, and, by the advantage of a palace, better the instruction [...] The power of manners is incessant, an element as unconcealable as fire."

The bit that's rarely acknowledged: If you don't allow for the concept of right, then you have no grounds on which to stand in proclaiming anything wrong.

Who wants to live in that world?

What would a counterpart seek to prove exactly?

I think the cosmological argument is a good argument that doesn't tell you too much about the entity or whatever it concludes with (nor do I think that's what Aquinas intended to do with his version). The arguments that are often used in conjunction with it are not so good. Addressing the soundness of the premises is work for physics now though, imo.

The ex nihilo argument is similar. Could nothing ever have existed? Can't the universe be infinite? How far back can we trace the creation of "stuff"?

Ancient philosophers and theologians aren't the people I would turn to for answers to those questions.
Beginning and end of the universe are very western ways of conceiving existence that are linear conceptions of time and space that are heavily influenced by religious beliefs. Science has adopted the genesis mythology and replaced it with big bang, same as the end of days being the collapsing of the universe back on itself. I find some Indigenous cultural views being circular, as opposed to Western linear concepts, as an interesting counterpoint to this view. Who is to say that the universe has not always existed or that it doesn't move in cycles?

This is why Rand maintained that cosmology is not and has no place in philosophy. To quote a great line of Peter Boyle's from Everybody Loves Raymond: Who the crap knows?

More cosmology Everybody Loves Raymond style:

This thread is awesome to read. I should expect no less from the legend @Bullitt68.

This is why Rand maintained that cosmology is not and has no place in philosophy. To quote a great line of Peter Boyle's from Everybody Loves Raymond: Who the crap knows?

More cosmology Everybody Loves Raymond style:

That might well be the case now, but only because Physicists have claimed the philosophy for themselves along with the science.

I've read a few informal discussions about advanced cosmology, and though most of it is over my head, what was remarkably obvious was that the theoretical disputes (about the scientific standing of string theory, for example) were philosophical through and through.

It's all part of the same game.

I like that.

By virtue of you paragraph above, most of the useful shit is already passed down and incorporated into our lives. While I've certainly warmed up to the collective unconscious, I've yet to find value in Platonic ideals. :D

I had to think about this a bit. Actually I think it's true in a way that's properly optimistic - some very useful philosophy has been encoded into our governing documents, legal practice, and educational and scientific institutions. I didn't realize how good that felt to consider until I'd reflected on your statement. Someone should write a book about it.

But that said, I do not think philosophical thinking is something we should allow people to take part in only by virtue of the institutions they're exposed to. Thinking well is important for (i) looking back critically at what hasn't been incorporated, especially in light of the flaws in what has, (ii) modern philosophical innovation, and (iii) the generation of new institutions based on the fruits of the aforementioned critical thought and innovation.

Not to mention that it's far from instinctual, no matter how you've been educated.

I don't think I am quite cut out for this type of thread man. I do have a cursory interest in philosophy though. I am working my way through a"Great Courses" overview of Western tradition on philosophy now.

These discussions are good for me as long as every point is made and not referenced to by naming the philosopher who thought it. Not having all those names in my memory bank makes me unable to follow these threads.

I know I am not as intelligent as most of the philosophers who are referenced but.I do find that most of what I get exposed to is not new information to me--at least not something I have never thought about even if less fully and more clumsily.

Meh, your posts are usually thoughtful - I think you'll be right at home here. Even moreso if the course you're listening to is the Daniel N. Robinson one I'm thinking of.

take that knowledge and go help people instead of posting on forums

We are born, we die. That is all.

The middle stuff is in the comma.

I had to think about this a bit. Actually I think it's true in a way that's properly optimistic - some very useful philosophy has been encoded into our governing documents, legal practice, and educational and scientific institutions. I didn't realize how good that felt to consider until I'd reflected on your statement. Someone should write a book about it.

Funny-Animal-Laughing-Sea-Lion-Picture.jpg

<28><28><28><28>

But that said, I do not think philosophical thinking is something we should allow people to take part in only by virtue of the institutions they're exposed to. Thinking well is important for (i) looking back critically at what hasn't been incorporated, especially in light of the flaws in what has, (ii) modern philosophical innovation, and (iii) the generation of new institutions based on the fruits of the aforementioned critical thought and innovation.

Not to mention that it's far from instinctual, no matter how you've been educated.

I agree. If by "philosophical thinking" you mean logic. And in that area I'm far more academically equipped. Better at informal than mapping out that formal stuff. I like deduction. "Thinking well" is beyond my depth at this moment.

What's far from instinctual? We talkin' the Jung? If so, here's how I reckon. Some shit's not instinctual. But picking up on signals may be. So those more learned could give those signals off, non-verbally. Not even intentionally.

I think your conception of individualism is too narrow. Individualism≠Solipsism. Individualist philosophies can and should still have an eye towards the outside world, otherwise you're dealing at best with only a partial philosophy.
Nope, it’s all about the marching order. When the principal acting unit is individual, well that’s individualism. When the principal acting unit is a collective (family in this case), that’s collectivism. Very simple and nothing to do with solipsism. Confucianism has tons of cool stuff that one can enjoy, but it’s not individualistic at it’s core.

(I’m not sure what the right term for principal actor/agent/operator is in English. I hope it’s clear what I try to say.)

Meh, your posts are usually thoughtful - I think you'll be right at home here. Even moreso if the course you're listening to is the Daniel N. Robinson one I'm thinking of.

Ok Ill jump in here a bit then and see how it goes.

Socrates and Plato are for me so far the approach to philosophy that I respect most but also probably because I relate to it as they were mystics and not just thinkers.

I feel like the contemplative traditions like Buddhism and Christianity do a really good job of integrating the levels of mystical experience into what it means to have lived a good or decent life.

High level mystical experience (as long as it is qualified suitably by having the stable beginning stages in place) seems to be a really good test and measure of a fully human and good life.

I appreciate this approach because although it does require a solid mental and psychological understanding of life and maturity, it does not seem to place the mental approach first in this endeavour.

Mystical experience (in all of its levels and forms from the nearly imperceptible to the intensely sensory) can be the crucible point, the catalyst and the source upon which emotional and mental transformation can take place.

This approach makes use of reason and logic and philosophy and morality but it is the connection with mystical phenomenon that causes the change. I think this phenomenon is God but don't much care to debate that on forums. What is not in question is that mystical experience exists and can and does have very potent transformative powers.

My experience on this level is that the changes come in before there is understanding, that understanding comes by reflecting upon changes that take place and reflection on multiple changes that take place over years.

I realize that Plato and Socrates took a more mental approach to purification for attaining mystical experience but at least with them I see some similarities.

I've always wanted to write an essay on Stallone's Rambo character against a backdrop of stoicism but I've yet to read deeply into it. Who are your favorites? Any quotes handy?
Man there are so many of them and my perspectives on them might be odd but heres one of my favourite ones.

"Death is relief from reaction to the senses, from the puppet-strings of impulse, from the analytical mind, and from service to the flesh."

I forget who said it first but stoicism was really made for the market place society, such as Rome at the time or our modern societies. Although eastern ideologies are great, they are simply too passive in their approach to accommodate a lifestyle that a Roman would be confronted with on a daily bases. Stoicism was a way to confront your issues and not to make them simply dissapear but also to make them work for you. There are all kinds of stoic exercises one can use to over come certain things in life like betrayal, heart break, pressure ect ect. The reason why this quote is so beautiful for me at least is because it's where east meets west ideologically. Again this is my uninformed opinion but what is very characteristic for eastern ideology/philosophy is their outlook on death, it happens to be way more optimistic than the western perspective which is so bleak and depressing.

Marcus though understands that death comes in the form of relief, it's a way to be truly liberated from a the physical slavery that is your own physiology and also those impulses that are outside of our control, at the exact same time he is fully aware that the true problems lay within your mind. There is worse that can happen to us than death. See, although it seems melancholy and depressing it's actually rather beautiful. Mastery of your emotions and mind will liberate you before death comes but death is the final nail in the coffin if it already hasn't happened. If you already have mastered your critical faculties then you are elevated to another level of liberation.

Also it seems to be an admission to the fact that one can never truly be without conflict in life, that is characteristic of every life/society. No matter how hard you try to erase your problems even involuntary action triggered by impulses to the senses makes one a slave, but again that's alright because you know you can deal with it. I suppose i like how he encapsulates the human condition and makes it into poetry with this little random quote. And that is the essence of stoicism, to look at adversity coming your way with a smile on your face.

5271500-5456831935-GP-30.gif

As you can see im attracted to ideologies that empower me with more control over my own life. I want some form of practical application. Good discussion and the abstract realms are all fine and dandy but i want that benefit more than anything.

I read philosophy in my spare time and have taken a couple of courses so im no expert but i do form my own beliefs on them......even if that isn't what they meant lol

Last edited:
I forget who said it first but stoicism was really made for the market place society such as Rome at the time or our modern societies. Although eastern ideologies are great they are simply too passive in their approach to accommodate a lifestyle that a Roman would be confronted with on a daily bases. Stoicism was a way to confront your issues and not to make them simply dissapear but also to make them work for you
For me this article was a great introduction about stoicism few years ago: http://www.quebecoislibre.org/15/15...uPngVSuP7MTUvBVoVFbUNEk4B6oAz9fc95OSCTiatFDO0

I’m not an investor, but there are storm clouds gathering in my professional future again and currently I’m being very stoic about it. I hope it holds. There’s a lot of stuff that’s beyond my control, but I have options and need to keep my mind clear and slightly optimistic to navigate the situation.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

From Emerson's essay "Behavior":

"The visible carriage or action of the individual, as resulting from his organization and his will combined, we call manners. What are they but thought entering the hands and feet, controlling the movements of the body, the speech, and behavior? There is always a best way of doing everything, if it be to boil an egg. Manners are the happy way of doing things [...] now repeated and hardened into usage. They form at last a rich varnish with which the routine of life is washed and its details adorned [...] Manners are very communicable; men catch them from each other [...] Genius invents fine manners, which the baron and the baroness copy very fast, and, by the advantage of a palace, better the instruction [...] The power of manners is incessant, an element as unconcealable as fire."

The bit that's rarely acknowledged: If you don't allow for the concept of right, then you have no grounds on which to stand in proclaiming anything wrong.

Who wants to live in that world?

giphy.gif

Jaspers ain't taking about moral relativism here, as someone directly affected by the rise of Nazism I don't think he would have any qualms about proclaiming that some things are right and some things are wrong. In fact he wrote a book at the time of the Nuremburg trial entitled The Question of German Guilt in which "he argued that, although not all Germans could be legitimately brought to trial for war crimes, all Germans should accept an implicit complicity in the holocaust and only the critical self-reflection of all Germans could lead to cultural and political renewal". I haven't read this work, but suffice to say he's hardly a moral relativist.....

In the Philosophy of Existence and Way to Wisdom (where that quote is from), he is dealing specifically with the questions of religion, of an Ultimate Reality and so on. He distinguishes three modes of being within what he calls "The Encompassing" (the whole of reality): the empirical world, existence and transcendence. As human beings we experience the modes of existence and transcendence. The empirical world is the world of science, which obviously deals with scientific facts. In the mode of existence humans come to question their sense of self, which leads to an awareness of the third mode - transcendence. This is what religion deals with, but this is what Jaspers is talking about when refutes dogmatism. There is a transcendence, but the term itself evokes the ineffable and cannot be spoken about, or understood as an object of knowledge. As humans he thinks we derive meaning through the existence-transcendence dichotomy as beings which display "possible existence". But transcendence itself is not something objective, that's the subjectivity he is talking about. We can experience transcendence through what he calls 'ciphers' - a work of art, a religious myth, a ritual performance etc. etc. but these only point to it, they don't 'reveal' it objectively. This why he thinks that dogma, for instance literal readings of the bible, block their importance as ciphers of transcendence, they can't be reduced to 'meaning' something in objective terms, but subjectively point the individual towards transcendence. Obviously he was influenced by Kant, but I would also see a few parallels with early Wittgenstein.

I follow the subject of the universe having a beginning pretty closely but do suck at giving sources or remembering details.

I can tell you that no physicists adopted the universe having a beginning willy nilly because of religious baggage. In fact the opposite of this is true. As evidence began to mount from physics that the universe has a beginning it deeply troubled many physicists who rightly knew that it would bolster Christian apologists who would see in the physics support for creationism.

Thus far any hypothesis that posultates the universe having no beginning has zero evidence to support it and tons of evidence stacked against it.

There has even been serious criticisms leveled by physicists and philosophers against ideas like the multiverse as being pseudo science and bad philosophy and lead by ideology and not by evidence.

@unimackpass -- often has a ton of info to give on this topic.

I follow the subject of the universe having a beginning pretty closely but do suck at giving sources or remembering details.

I can tell you that no physicists adopted the universe having a beginning willy nilly because of religious baggage. In fact the opposite of this is true. As evidence began to mount from physics that the universe has a beginning it deeply troubled many physicists who rightly knew that it would bolster Christian apologists who would see in the physics support for creationism.

Thus far any hypothesis that posultates the universe having no beginning has zero evidence to support it and tons of evidence stacked against it.

There has even been serious criticisms leveled by physicists and philosophers against ideas like the multiverse as being pseudo science and bad philosophy and lead by ideology and not by evidence.

@unimackpass -- often has a ton of info to give on this topic.

Science is not my field so I am not up to date on the latest findings but they are all theories, no one knows for sure. I was discussing this with some other lecturers at a conference once when someone suggested that the universe was expanding therefore had a beginning. Another professor suggested that the fact that universe is expanding does not predispose a beginning but that the universe may expand and contract like a beating heart and that we don't have the time frame to measure such an occurrence. I don't really think it is true but raises doubt about what we consider fact. We live in an age where we think we have so much worked out but really we don't know shit, perhaps in 200 years they will look back on this age and think we are idiots. And as far as the link between religion and Western thought a good book is Time and the Other by the anthropologist Johannes Fabian, it is more of an anthro book but has a nice chapter on the Western conception of time and the link to science.

Last edited:
^

If I had a physics buddy to go to to clarify every bogus-sounding claim I hear about in regular conversation, I hope he would be as articulate and amicable as Sean Carroll.

Last edited:
Of all the explicitly theological thinkers I've read, Descartes is by far my favorite. He's one of the sharpest people out there IMO, and the exchanges in the Objections and Replies are fascinating.

Plus - and this is pure, unadulterated, unverifiable speculation if not sheer wishful thinking on my part - I have this theory that Descartes is the inverse of Kant: Whereas Kant is known as the Supremely Rational philosopher when really he was just another religious dude, Descartes is known as this devout philosopher who tried to reconcile reason and religion yet I suspect that Descartes was so traumatized by what happened to Galileo that his religion stuff is just him covering his ass. No clue how that could be proven, but I like to think that it's true.

Anyway, he's sharp as hell, the Meditations are a great (and, by philosophy standards, also an easy) read, and seeing the give-and-take between him and his contemporaries is like reading a 17th Century version of a forum debate :D

Ok. Here's your "homework" for this thread:

1) You said that Hicks' discussion of Medieval philosophy was "complete horseshit." We went back-and-forth and seemed to reach the following point: I say that Hicks' book isn't - and never purports to be - a nuanced history of Medieval philosophy which burrows into all the nooks and crannies of ten centuries of thinking; rather, I say that he looks merely to set up a general context that hits the major points. I'm not asking if you think that he thoroughly articulates all the nuances of this or that philosopher/philosophy to your satisfaction. My question is much simpler: Do you wish to deny even that the general context that he sets up is accurate and maintain that it is "complete horseshit"?

2) You said that his characterization of Kant as being "anti-reason" was in error. I explained in great detail with lots of references and quotes why it's not. If you maintain that it is, then, since I already made my argument, it's now your turn to make a counterargument if you feel like it.

Your point about Descartes would have to be very well argued to cary any weight. He uses the ''religion stuff that (in your words) covers his ass'' in order to end his methodical doubt loophole. It serves a very important role in the philosophy of Descartes. Without it, the rest doesn't follow. It is because God exists and is perfect (ontological proof of Anselm and the consequences (+ Augustine's proof which is not as important for this)) that he is good and thus our senses don't betray us. I am simplifying, of course, I won't repeat the meditations here, but if you've read them you know perfectly well that God is not a mere ''covering his ass'' kind of thing.

1) I wish to say that oversimplification is a death in any history of philosophy. It serves as portraying your philosophers as the good ones and the others as the bad ones who are ''faith-based, collectivist (bad communist, gulags !)', etc.''. Any real account of history ought to be (ought! to be! ought / is OMG). Plus, Medieval philosophy is very rational. You said you didn't want to talk about Aquinas (I think, because it's accepted by Hicks as the start of rationality, something like that ? And then he proceeds to say that Renaissance was the real start of rationality, which in fact was a decrease, a reaction to the too-rational, dry scholasticism. I might be wrong on the assumption of Hicks here, hence the parentheses, but I stand on saying that the Renaissance is a rational regress.)
On the opposition of faith and reason in the medieval period, much can be said. I already stated that my main reproach is the radical dichotomy. In contrasting Medieval philosophy with the modern era, Hicks says : ''But what is fundamental to all three is the central status of reason as objective and competent—in contrast to the faith, mysticism, and intellectual authoritarianism of earlier ages. But what is fundamental to all three is the central status of reason as objective and competent—in contrast to the faith, mysticism, and intellectual authoritarianism of earlier ages''
Are you seriously going to say that the medieval era, an era where rational argumentation was the most important thing (have a look at the scholastic method : question, objections, sed contra, response, solution) was irrational ? Read one text by Siger de Brabant or Boece de Dacie and tell me it's not based on reason. It's, in fact, too reason based and losses sight of reality. I think you know about medieval philosophy, since you seem knowledgeable, and know the above quote is a sweeping quote meant to push a false dichotomy.
Also, in talking about faith, you seem stuck on religious faith. Augustine, who I won't deny is a religious thinker (that would be ridiculous) has a different idea. First of all, read his contra academicos, he prefigures Descartes' cogito ergo sum and phenomenology. In arguing against scepticism, he refers to the internal knowledge (I know I am, I know I perceive this to be blue, even if it might not be blue in-itself and I don't know if the universe is created or eternal, but I know it is either created or eternal). His account of faith is very interesting. For him, we always have to have faith before we know. He does not blindly believe in God. He believe in him and offers rational argument for him. He would also say that you have faith in lots of things, even if it's not a religious faith. You believe that George Washington founded the USA, even if you don't know it for sure. You believe in all sorts of things. He believes in God and rationally tries to explain it. Does he succeed in convincing me ? No. But tons of philosophers were rational and wrong.

2) Your arguments were mainly one quote and someone saying he was religious. I don't think religion = irrationality.
''Rationalism. Any variety of views emphasizing the role or importance of reason, usually including *intuition, in contrast to sensory experience (including introspection), the feelings, or authority.'' '' Rationalism in fact can take two main forms, according as it claims that some of our propositional knowledge, i.e. knowledge of truth of certain propositions, comes to us without coming through the senses, or claims that some of the materials through which our knowledge is cnstructed are present in the mind without coming through the senses. The latter will be the case if some of our concepts are *a priori (...). It might be, for instance, that concept such as those of substance or causation are present with us from the beginning in the sense that, as Kant thought, we do not find out the world contains substances and causes, but cannot help but see the world as composed........''
(oxford companion to philosophy)

Such a view that REASON is A PRIORI to knowledge and is how we INTELLIGE (I don't know how to translate intellegere in English) the world is found in Kant. Reason plays a major role in our understanding of the world. If you wish to argue that Kant does not answer to such a definition of what constitute Rationalism (and he would thus be anti-reason) you better provide better arguments or change the accepted definition of Rationalism (and changing definitions to fit your view is not recommended). In the mean time, Kant will remain a Rationalist.
BTW, this view is already pre-figured in Dietrich of Freiberg, a Medieval Scholar. Look him up.

Serious Philosophy Discussion. ...and, with that, the floor is open. Tell us: Who/what have you read, who/what do you like, who/what do you dislike, and, the most important question, the question that makes this thread serious: Why?

Interesting. I was part of the original academia post. Why do you say 'serious' philosophy discussion? What is so 'serious' about philosophy? I'm a psychology major who took a few courses in philosophy. Read a few folks and their ideas. Likes and dislikes. I t would make it for a very long post if I were to go into detail. Philosophy is a very broad topic which many times intertwines with religion. Can you narrow it down to a specific question or topic?

I think our view of philosophy depends on our experience. Why believe one thing over another? Do your views influence your philosophy or does philosophy influence your views? In the end, it is a matter of opinion, and we all have one. I think time also has an affect as we get older. We view ourselves, others, and the world differently.

I've also been on a few 'religion' and 'God' threads here on Sherdog and found the same to be similar. A lot of atheists on Sherdog.

Only two things are certain: Death + taxes.
Also, there is a God and he loves the U.S. Marine Corps...

Back