Serious question PLEASEEE HELP....

rb3b3

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I have been following boxing for as long as i can remember and i cant understand why boxing has 4 different sanctioning bodies.. How can you have 4 different "world" champions in each weight class???? i really need help understanding why there are 4 different world titles. Who thought of this? how can anyone think this is good for boxing? i know its been going on for as long as i can remember, but wouldnt boxing be soooo much more exciting if there was only one true world champion in each weight class??

Having 4 different titles and 200 different weight classes has absolutely been the sports downfal in my opinion.

Please... anyone who knows why boxing needs 4 sanctioning bodies please help me understand why!?!?

Thank you fellas in advance.

The scandal surrounding the US Championship tournaments in the mid/late 70's, which also involved The Ring, played a big part in why those sanctioning bodies were empowered like they were. The Ring's reputation took a big hit at the time, and as a result network television turned to and empowered the WBC & WBA in their need to show "world title fights" to a mass casual audience. Both the IBF and WBO are breakaway groups of the WBA.

I have been following boxing for as long as i can remember and i cant understand why boxing has 4 different sanctioning bodies.. How can you have 4 different "world" champions in each weight class???? i really need help understanding why there are 4 different world titles. Who thought of this? how can anyone think this is good for boxing? i know its been going on for as long as i can remember, but wouldnt boxing be soooo much more exciting if there was only one true world champion in each weight class??

Having 4 different titles and 200 different weight classes has absolutely been the sports downfal in my opinion.

Please... anyone who knows why boxing needs 4 sanctioning bodies please help me understand why!?!?

Thank you fellas in advance.
if you was following boxing as long as you say you'd know the reason is money. same reason for a lot of things that don't make sense in our world.

I like the weight classes. There aren't people caught in the middle of weight classes, less size mismatches, less people missing weight and people passing out in saunas. It works out better in my opinion.

I also like more weight classes. I mean, we don't need more NOW, but I think what we have is fine.

As for the titles. Just view them as title holders. There's usually a guy who is clearly the top dog in the division. The belts are just business.

Truth is that boxing has almost always had multiple champions. In the early days you had large editorials and promotions that would give international or "world" championship recognition. Then major athletic commissions(nysac,csac)and sanctioning bodies (nba,ibu) started having championships. The ringmagazine kind of became the big fish boxing editorial, and more or less held the keys boxing's history to that piont. Many people that held what where concidered legitimate titles werent necessarily remembered in the history books. You also have to figure that there were many b-list publications and promotions that had champions. The only thing that changed is how much we hear about all these different "titles" with the advent of the TV and the Internet.

UFC/Bellator/Pancrase/One/KSW/KOTC/ RITC/Cage Warriors etc.....why so many mma belts?

I mean...figure it out bro.

UFC/Bellator/Pancrase/One/KSW/KOTC/ RITC/Cage Warriors etc.....why so many mma belts?

I mean...figure it out bro.

And most (if not all) of those MMA promotions there advertise their champions as "world champions" as well.

And most (if not all) of those MMA promotions there advertise their champions as "world champions" as well.
ya, it has to be worse in the MA world, chuck norris says he's a 7 time champion, I think Bill Wallace has a preposterous claim like that too, billy blanks. My old MMA gym used to piss me off with that as a reason i should follow them like a braindead zombie "we've had 14 world champions", means nothing really. It brings a lot of bullshit and a lot of politics into it, in boxing, there was some new organization, sean o'grady's daddy either created it or headed it and crowned sean o' grady as the world champion. bullshit like that is really counterproductive and diminishes the honor and meaning away from true champions.

I wonder which belt is seen as the most legit.

To me it's always been that ugly fucking green WBC strap, but honestly, these days the man makes the belt, not the other way around.

I think the wba and wbc are regarded about the same, the ibf is a little lesser, i haven't even heard of the wbo in years so i don't even know if they exist but they weren't considered real. I think people tend to consider the better fighter as the real champ if they don't do a unification, it's messy really and needles. I don't know if we need all the extra weight classes. I understand how hard it is to make weight, but i'm just not sure if all the weight classes helps. You know, how much of a difference is there between a 126 pounder and a 130 pounder? Barry Mcguigan has said making weight is the toughest part of boxing, I believe it, I really do but if it was that hard, couldn't he have fought a division higher? For him to say it's the "toughest" part means it's tougher than the actual fight, and he was in some wars, that tells you something. But at the same time, they are professionals, they know what's expected of them. Jake Lamotta has stated that the 168 pound division would have been perfect for him because he was too small for a lhw and to big for middleweight, but really, he wasn't that damned big, you take a look at a guy like Iran Barkley who was 6-1 and huge and he made 160, so a guy like the 5-8 lamotta shouldn't have had that much trouble, but he ate like a pig. It's discipline like the rest of the game.

Whichever one is held by the lineal champ, imo.
interesting thing is, outside of heavyweight, you never hear about who's the lineal champ.

interesting thing is, outside of heavyweight, you never hear about who's the lineal champ.

Middleweight, too. Two divisions with very well known lineages.

I also like more weight classes. I mean, we don't need more NOW, but I think what we have is fine.

As for the titles. Just view them as title holders. There's usually a guy who is clearly the top dog in the division. The belts are just business.

Yes its good they have many weight classes and should never move back from that but for the viewer there is nothing good about having multiple belts in every class. With that system you have fighters sitting on single belts rather than going for a fight against the best in their division and its confusing as hell for new people who get into the sport. I wish they would change it but I dont see it happening because of the business factor as people said.

1.dubbya b c Done most things right since snr. died, ranked other champs, better mandos
2.dubbya b a same as above except "regular" titles make em' number 2
3.ibf Ridiculous mandos at times, and enforces said ridiculous mandos
4.wbo shouldn't even be one of the main...should be ibo level

Wbo seems to let the champ do whatever the fuck they want although I know it's not true.

Isn't it only Hatton and wlad who even had the ibo belt announced?

Back