[serious] Should D-level athletes be doing flips? Soccer player died celebrating goal

Fiestar

Sean McCorkle
@purple
Reaction score
I won't link the gif of the incident since I'm not sure if it would break a rule.

Google his name: Peter Biaksangzuala

news report: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-celebration-goes-terribly-wrong-9805612.html

tl;dr: He died from spine injury after 5 days in the hospital.

I really think the UFC should send a memo to all UFC fighters (except Sage?) about the danger of flips. For D-level athletes, flips could have a higher mortality rate than strolling in the Favela?

UFC sent this memo to fighters for a Brazil event
brazil-warning.jpg

What do you think? Even a B+ level athlete like GSP botched a flip

6yz0k8.jpg

p68RL89.gif

"Darrion Caldwell Does A Backflip Into A Camera Woman"
[YT]dFi7_fXbbD4[/YT]

How long until we see a serious injury in the Octagon from a flip?

Don't forget the GOAT

[YT]d_Bk-J5nQ7w[/YT]

(just crawl it out)

Grading the level of athlete these guys are is lame and tiresome.

This particular subject is stupid considering these guys are attempting flips on a slippery canvas after having fought for 25 minutes. They're exhausted, injured and likely dehydrated.

This is precisely why Sherdoggers grading athleticism (most of the time) yields silly, silly results.

Death or very serious neck injury from a botched backflip may happen, but an ACL tear is more likely to happen.

Man who cares if they do flips are we going to make a rule about that wtf ?

That flip Gaethje did off the cage after his second fight with Palomino legit made me nervous. Thought he was gonna fuck his ankle up for sure.

I remember when Gus tried to like a front flip thing using his hands after his win against Manuwa. Lmaooo

Even UFC-level athletes are better than "Indian footballers." Doesn't cricket get all the high-level talent over there?

I'm glad you said Sage excluded, because that dude is A-level all the way.

OMG that Indian dude must have slipped. As soon as he hit, all his teammates freaked out.

Football coaches in the states at all levels are trying to ban leaping celebrations such as flying chest bumps and shit because dudes are losing ACL's left and right. Celebration in sports is tricky because of the adrenaline involved. Hard to check it sometimes.

It's not actually a terrible idea to forbid them. They do put fighters in uneccessary risk, and they add nothing to a win.

That said, forbidding them won't stop fighters from doing them

Some of the info they bring up in that memo is great, you never know who will see the money you flash in a foreign country and target you because of that. Pretty happy that I was born and raised in Eastern Massachusetts, USA right now... and we still have ghetto ass places nearby nonetheless (Central Falls, Woonsocket, West Providence, Dorchester, Mattapan, Worcester [SHIT town], Roxbury, Haverhill, Fall River, Brockton, Randolph, etc).

Man who cares if they do flips are we going to make a rule about that wtf ?

It's not that serious though. The octagon can be an official no-flip zone. It's not going to cost any extra money.

Some of the info they bring up in that memo is great, you never know who will see the money you flash in a foreign country and target you because of that. Pretty happy that I was born and raised in Eastern Massachusetts, USA right now...

Homie, you shouldn't have your money flashing anywhere. Even in E. Mass USofA.

Homie, you shouldn't have your money flashing anywhere. Even in E. Mass USofA.

Showoffs get it eventually. Keep it humble. I don't get why so many people are determined to show off every dollar they have.

Grading the level of athlete these guys are is lame and tiresome.

?! Athleticism plays a huge role in their performance, how is that different than grading their striking and grappling? This is a MMA forum, athleticism is quite on-topic.

?! Athleticism plays a huge role in their performance, how is that different than grading their striking and grappling? This is a MMA forum, athleticism is quite on-topic.

It's actually quite different. We all pretty much agree what makes someone a better striker or grappler. Nobody can agree on what "athleticism" means.

No. You'd have to be a retard to get hurt doing a flip. I'm a nerd. My sister does tumbling and cheer so she challenged me last year to do a backflip. I'm not really athletic. I looked up on youtube. Go outside, and first time I try I almost land it - easy as hell to flip over without worrying about hitting your neck. Put in a little practice and now I can land them on command. Nobody is gonna hurt themselves flipping unless they go full retard

gsp, haha

sage is a lot more athletic than little georges

Back