[Serious Topic] Friend's Mental Health (Update: Post #39)

Sounds like schizophrenia but 30+ is kind of old to go off the deep end this way. Much more common in adolescence and early-mid 20s. Still it's possible, but it is also possible he is using some other drugs you are not aware of.

First thought was skitzo. Tho with the religious and bible stuff he sounds like a bipolar I once knew lol. Obviously not normal behaviour either way tho.

late on set schizophrenia if he's around the 35 age bracket or drug induced psychosis.

He is most likely suffering from psychosis, and if he smokes weed everyday, that's most likely what is causing it. Treatment means going into a hospital and staying there for a few months, which sucks. I have been in this situation, you need to get help fast or you can totally lose it.

I tend to agree with this. My mental health background is from a public health perspective, not clinical, but to my semi-trained ear it sounds like psychosis, and while a small proportion of cannabis users will suffer psychosis, a large proportion of psychosis is caused by cannabis use. From what I understand, if this is his first psychotic episode schizophrenia is unlikely and there's a good chance he'll never have another one, and even if it is, schizophrenia is very manageable (although he doesn't sound like the type that's all that good at managing things—no offense).

This isn't a troll or a joke. I have a friend who has recently gone off the deep end. Now, for the last 10 years or so, it wasn't that big of a deal. He'd make comments here and there that made me think he was out there:

(a) He is a bit of a conspiracy theorist
(b) He always jumped on any opportunity to bad-mouth women no matter the circumstance
(c) He always jumped on any opportunity to bad-mouth white people, sometimes seemingly out of nowhere
(d) He's a bit of a man-child. He's over 30 but he's extremely messy, doesn't shower regularly and will throw tantrums if he gets mad enough
(e) He's probably been smoking pot since college but I can confirm at least the last 3-4 years

Now that all sounds pretty bad but I'd say he has been around a 6-7 out of 10 on the "WTF is wrong with you" scale. Within the last month or so, he's shot straight to 10. Now,

That actually sounds like a lot of Sherdog

in my experience people have these manic episodes for a few days or weeks and then come back to reality a bit.

hopefully. I would just avoid him until he starts making sense again

Get a dog to bite him and say "that dog's usually a good judge of character".

This isn't a troll or a joke. I have a friend who has recently gone off the deep end. Now, for the last 10 years or so, it wasn't that big of a deal. He'd make comments here and there that made me think he was out there:

(a) He is a bit of a conspiracy theorist
(b) He always jumped on any opportunity to bad-mouth women no matter the circumstance
(c) He always jumped on any opportunity to bad-mouth white people, sometimes seemingly out of nowhere
(d) He's a bit of a man-child. He's over 30 but he's extremely messy, doesn't shower regularly and will throw tantrums if he gets mad enough
(e) He's probably been smoking pot since college but I can confirm at least the last 3-4 years

Now that all sounds pretty bad but I'd say he has been around a 6-7 out of 10 on the "WTF is wrong with you" scale. Within the last month or so, he's shot straight to 10. Now,

(i) He's extremely paranoid. He thinks secret service is stalking him
(ii) He claims to have figured out the bible and immortality but can't tell anyone because it could mean death to him and his family
(iii) He was all giddy a few days ago because he claims a mosquito landed on his hand and sat there for an hour without biting him.
(iv) He is now babbling about karma, love and being "a child of God". Not in the way the average religious person talks about it. He does it in a really weird, off-putting way.

Has anyone here known anyone similar to this? If so, what mental problem did that person end up having? How did he/she get it treated?
sounds like the dude I turned muslim.

Sounds like someone who could use some professional help.

My old good friends uncle was like that...when I was 13 he once threatened to stab me because my buddy and I went in his room to look for a tv remote and he got angry "because I stepped into his domain!"
And at one point his dog pepper ran away from his house so he didn't take a shower for like a month. He threatened to never take a shower again until his dog returned him.
So 2 of my uncles got the water hose and sprayed his nasty smelly ass...be careful with your buddy and get him treated ASAP. That shit is screwed up.

It sounds like the guy is honestly a paranoid schizophrenic.

He is most likely suffering from psychosis, and if he smokes weed everyday, that's most likely what is causing it. Treatment means going into a hospital and staying there for a few months, which sucks. I have been in this situation, you need to get help fast or you can totally lose it.
B...but weed is good for you lol

Not opposed to weed but I knew someone who smoked that shit 4 times a day and wound up thinking he could communicate with aliens and shit. Had a stockpile in his basement for "the invasion"

It may not cause psychosis but I've read it can really bring out the worst in those predisposed to it

Tell him to check out the War room. He'll fit right in.

$20 says hes secretly doing some shit a little more extreme than weed.

Despite the opening post I have a lot of trouble accepting this is truth. I'm hoping your buddy is just fucking with you on an epic level.

If it's real he sounds like he needs some outside influence to get him some help. Paranoia is a bitch. He needs medication.

Update

A couple of days ago, his family got him to go to the hospital by force. So far, physical tests, such as blood work and CAT scans, have come back clear. He's still talking crazy but his family did let me know some things about him that could explain his behavior.

-First, he's very homophobic. He basically thinks gay people are scumbags, particularly gay men (not sure about lesbians)
-Second, he has a cousin who he is very close to. They are like best friends and he spends a lot of time with him
-Third, apparently said cousin recently came out to him.

We are also learning he doesn't sleep much. He'd rather walk the streets at night doing whatever. I suspect the cousin coming out caused some sort of psychotic break which resulted in the weird behavior. The sleep deprivation, drinking and smoking likely exacerbated things.

With this new information, I'd like to hear some more input from you guys.

He is schizoaffective. It's basically schizophrenic and bi polar at the same time.

My friend smoked a lot of weed and drank alcohol for years. Then his grandma who he was ultra close to died and he started acting the same way.

He was also super into Alex Jones, 2012 stock market crashing, and various conspiracies.

They couldn't figure out the right combination of medicines plus he stopped taking them because it causes huge amounts of weight gain, saps your energy, and basically makes you a zombie.

He leveled out and doesn't talk about the stuff, but he still is conspiracy oriented and believes he has an undectable micro chip in his brain

Last edited:
Back