Seth MacFarlane's THE ORVILLE (Season 3 Coming to Hulu)

Started watching this on Hulu. It's been a very pleasant surprise.

Interesting. I saw it as a knock on neo-Nazis and the alt-right because of dialogue where the other witches were afraid of being associated with the real witch. This is mainly because of all the people I've hard say that they shouldn't be associated with neo-Nazis just because they're alt right. I haven't heard a Weinstein equivalent to that and there was plenty of dialogue in that South Park episode along those lines.

Where did you hear that? Is that something the SP guys have stated?
Don’t know about the episode but did u see coon and friends episode?
, "Because you victimize innocent people and poop in little girls' mouths."
. "That's not true," Cartman responds. "We're Coon and Friends, not Harvey Weinstein

Than they re aired it during the credits... but pretty sure the witch episode was making fun of him also they already did a neo nazi one

Last edited:
Don’t know about the episode but did u see coon and friends episode?
, "Because you victimize innocent people and poop in little girls' mouths."
. "That's not true," Cartman responds. "We're Coon and Friends, not Harvey Weinstein

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. Good catch.

Interesting. I saw it as a knock on neo-Nazis and the alt-right because of dialogue where the other witches were afraid of being associated with the real witch. This is mainly because of all the people I've hard say that they shouldn't be associated with neo-Nazis just because they're alt right. I haven't heard a Weinstein equivalent to that and there was plenty of dialogue in that South Park episode along those lines.

Where did you hear that? Is that something the SP guys have stated?

Yea, I thought it was parodying conservatives not wanting to be associated with white supremacists. But it could also be seen as Chip being Harvey Weinstein and the witch group being Hollywood.

The SP guys didnt say it. This is the article that I read. Even they say its open to interpretation.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/26/south-park-sons-a-witches-review

This storyline mainly riffed on the recent Harvey Weinstein scandal, with Chip obviously filling in for Weinstein himself and Randy and the others playing the part of the many Hollywood figures trying to distance themselves from him in the last couple weeks. The idea being the only thing that separates a true monster from a simple hedonistic pleasure seeker is power and the willingness to abuse it.

It was a fairly subtle parody by the show’s usual standards, and I get the sense that Trey Parker and Matt Stone wanted to leave a little extra room for interpretation. You could also make a case for the witch storyline being a metaphor for hardcore conservatives who don’t want to be lumped in with white supremacists

Of the two shows, it's ironic that it's The Orville that gets the more "Star Trekkie" vibe.

Not that surprising, it feels as though they're trying to be old Trek, while new Trek is trying new things.

I enjoy Orville but it feels like a moderately budgeted ripoff. The series is just starting but they've already stolen a few episode ideas completely from other shows (For My World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky - Star Trek TOS, Nosedive - Black Mirror).

It's fun, light science fiction, but it's a knock off.

I've really disliked the last two episodes.

I hated ep 6 because if you ask anyone what comes to their mind when two people go undercover in a comedy they'll describe the two idiots having trouble with their names and stumbling over answers to questions and saying nonsensical things. It's literally been done so many times before that I never want to see it again. Surely someone can write a fresh version of that scenario.

I hated ep 7 because the plot could only happen with one of the main characters doing something stupid. The laziest plot device there is.

I hope the episodes get better. I was really enjoying them.

Update: November 2, 2017

Seth MacFarlane's Space Dramedy THE ORVILLE Renewed for a 2nd Season at Fox

1Uxzb0h.jpg

Fox is setting course for season two of The Orville. The network has renewed the Seth MacFarlane space dramedy for a second season. An episode count has yet to be determined.

The news comes after the show's September debut now ranks as Fox's most-watched and highest-rated launch since Empire, when factoring in delayed viewing across multiple platforms. The series ranks among the top three new dramas of the fall and, all told, is averaging a 2.5 rating in the coveted adults 18-49 demographic when factoring in seven days of DVR — a 67 percent lift. It also has more than 10 million multiplatform viewers (up 105 percent from same-day tune-in).

"Once again, Seth has struck a powerful chord with viewers," Fox Broadcasting Co. Entertainment president Michael Thorn said Thursday in a release announcing the pickup. "He has delivered a series full of optimism, drama and his trademark humor. We want to thank him and the rest of the talented cast, as well as the producers and crew, for an incredible first season. We can't wait to see where The Orville travels in the second."

The Orville was picked up straight to series with a 13-episode order. It is MacFarlane's live-action TV acting debut. He remains an important producer for Fox and studio 20th Century Fox Television and is behind the network's long-running animated series Family Guy. Adrianne Palicki co-stars on the Star Trek-like spoof.

The Orville is the first of the freshman class of 2017-18 to score a renewal. It joins The Simpsons on Fox's schedule for next season.

Fox Renews Seth MacFarlane's Space Dramedy Series 'The Orville' for a Second Season

Update: November 2, 2017

Seth MacFarlane's Space Dramedy THE ORVILLE Renewed for a 2nd Season at Fox

1Uxzb0h.jpg

Fox is setting course for season two of The Orville. The network has renewed the Seth MacFarlane space dramedy for a second season. An episode count has yet to be determined.

The news comes after the show's September debut now ranks as Fox's most-watched and highest-rated launch since Empire, when factoring in delayed viewing across multiple platforms. The series ranks among the top three new dramas of the fall and, all told, is averaging a 2.5 rating in the coveted adults 18-49 demographic when factoring in seven days of DVR — a 67 percent lift. It also has more than 10 million multiplatform viewers (up 105 percent from same-day tune-in).

"Once again, Seth has struck a powerful chord with viewers," Fox Broadcasting Co. Entertainment president Michael Thorn said Thursday in a release announcing the pickup. "He has delivered a series full of optimism, drama and his trademark humor. We want to thank him and the rest of the talented cast, as well as the producers and crew, for an incredible first season. We can't wait to see where The Orville travels in the second."

The Orville was picked up straight to series with a 13-episode order. It is MacFarlane's live-action TV acting debut. He remains an important producer for Fox and studio 20th Century Fox Television and is behind the network's long-running animated series Family Guy. Adrianne Palicki co-stars on the Star Trek-like spoof.

The Orville is the first of the freshman class of 2017-18 to score a renewal. It joins The Simpsons on Fox's schedule for next season.

Fox Renews Seth MacFarlane's Space Dramedy Series 'The Orville' for a Second Season

I am surprised by this. Fox usually cancels any show I enjoy and the messages in this show run counter to those normally presented by Fox.

I am surprised by this. Fox usually cancels any show I enjoy and the messages in this show run counter to those normally presented by Fox.

Yea that's why I didn't want to watch this cause Fox will cancel anything. "Didn't get 5 million viewers every episode this season, cancel that shit!". It's been renewed so I'll start checking this out.

Really happy that the show was renewed for a second season and I'm sure it'll get even better. Watching both this and Star Trek Discovery (STD, really?) and I got to say Orville feels way more like an actual Star Trek show. I just hope they tone down the 2 "drivers" in Orville the next season. Their constant childishness is just cringe worthy (though they might be appealing to the 14-16 year crowd or something).

I've really disliked the last two episodes.

I hated ep 6 because if you ask anyone what comes to their mind when two people go undercover in a comedy they'll describe the two idiots having trouble with their names and stumbling over answers to questions and saying nonsensical things. It's literally been done so many times before that I never want to see it again. Surely someone can write a fresh version of that scenario.

I hated ep 7 because the plot could only happen with one of the main characters doing something stupid. The laziest plot device there is.

I hope the episodes get better. I was really enjoying them.

You're really going to hate episode eight.

I would be mad if they cancelled both Dark Matter and The Orville.

Back