Sherdog 7 habits:

Don't eat grains.

Don't eat vegetables.

Don't eat nuts.

Don't eat fruit.

Don't eat any carbs ever.

Eat lots of fat.

Don't even THINK about eating carbs.

I really resent nonsense posts like this. I don't want new people to come to board and think that is at all representative of the thinking here.

I really resent nonsense posts like this. I don't want new people to come to board and think that is at all representative of the thinking here.

I agree it isn't at all representive of the the D&S. I have lurked this forum for a long time and I can tell you exactly what I learned from many of the excellent threads and posts(and even the b.s. ones too!) considering I was a total nutrition noob when I first started coming here.

First I learned to educate myself on nutrition and seek answers to questions about my own nutritional needs that I never even knew were questions that I had.

I learned that nothing is absolute and every single person has different nutritional needs and they should be based on your personal goals for health, wellness, sport and performance. I learned about many different dietary approaches and how to figure out which is going to work best for me based on what my goals are.

I originally went from 290 lbs. to 240lbs on my own. I started training MMA after stalling at 240lbs even though my diet hadn't changed thinking that was all I needed to do to keep dropping(i was carrying still alot of midsection fat and 240 lbs slows me down!!)

Well even training 6 times a week for 2 hours a day and I still didn't lose weight and was stuck bouncing constantly between 230 and 235 eating your typical low fat high carb/protein weight loss diet. It was threads here that opened my eyes to other possiblities and made me realize that no one approach is general dietary gold for everyone. I was fighting at heavyweight cause I felt I could never make 205 and was outweighed by 20- 30 lbs constantly.

Now I'm on my way to my first fight at 205 on oct. 2nd, sitting nicely at 214 lbs feeling great and ready to go. My training has been better than ever and i can honestly thank this forum for all the information and misinformation helping me become educated on my performance related nutritional needs, not being scared to try things out and see how they work and deciding from there.

Sorry for the novel.

It's always amusing to look back on the nutritional fads of yesteryear and how they've changed. 5 years from now some of todays dogma preached on the forum will be snickered at. But I see some have already gotten a head start on the snickering.

I agree it isn't at all representive of the the D&S. I have lurked this forum for a long time and I can tell you exactly what I learned from many of the excellent threads and posts(and even the b.s. ones too!) considering I was a total nutrition noob when I first started coming here.

First I learned to educate myself on nutrition and seek answers to questions about my own nutritional needs that I never even knew were questions that I had.

I learned that nothing is absolute and every single person has different nutritional needs and they should be based on your personal goals for health, wellness, sport and performance. I learned about many different dietary approaches and how to figure out which is going to work best for me based on what my goals are.

I originally went from 290 lbs. to 240lbs on my own. I started training MMA after stalling at 240lbs even though my diet hadn't changed thinking that was all I needed to do to keep dropping(i was carrying still alot of midsection fat and 240 lbs slows me down!!)

Well even training 6 times a week for 2 hours a day and I still didn't lose weight and was stuck bouncing constantly between 230 and 235 eating your typical low fat high carb/protein weight loss diet. It was threads here that opened my eyes to other possiblities and made me realize that no one approach is general dietary gold for everyone. I was fighting at heavyweight cause I felt I could never make 205 and was outweighed by 20- 30 lbs constantly.

Now I'm on my way to my first fight at 205 on oct. 2nd, sitting nicely at 214 lbs feeling great and ready to go. My training has been better than ever and i can honestly thank this forum for all the information and misinformation helping me become educated on my performance related nutritional needs, not being scared to try things out and see how they work and deciding from there.

Sorry for the novel.

Appreciated.

So true, Mick. I just added the MyFitnessPal app to track my calories and I just realized that a bottle of soju is 540 calories! Take that out of my life and I'm sure I'll lose weight.

Sandro_1.gif

I totally agree with your approach. By planning your meals for every coming day you are limiting your freedom - for example, some people may spending time with others simply because they have to eat a certain meal at a specific time. Having guidelines points you in the right direction, while enabling you to have freedom with your food choices.

I think counting calories is one of the best things to do, sure it is a lot of work in the beginning but imo it pays off big time. After about 2 weeks of counting, i can't imagine you wouldn't know the caloric content of say 90% of the foods you consume.

Everybody eats the same things over and over and its not like you have to keep searching for the calories for the rest of your life, i have been counting every calorie i eat for years and i got pretty good at just guessing when i eat out or something.

The bonus advantages are: you get to read the nutrient info on products and learn a lot about them, like i discovered there is added sugar in the smoked salmon i eat..., you will be able to control your weight very very precise. Another thing is some foods fill you up but actually hold very little calories compared to other foods that will make you feel full, therefore the counting over time makes you an expert on these things and helps you plan meals to fit your needs tremendously.

Maybe for some people just eating what they feel like eating (amounts) works, but every time i did that i lost lots of pounds of muscle mass.
My body doesnt like food that much so if you let me eat only when im hungry i will turn back to skeletor. Therefore counting calories enables me to eat at least exactly the minimum i need to grow or to maintain.

I think counting calories is one of the best things to do, sure it is a lot of work in the beginning but imo it pays off big time. After about 2 weeks of counting, i can't imagine you wouldn't know the caloric content of say 90% of the foods you consume.

Everybody eats the same things over and over and its not like you have to keep searching for the calories for the rest of your life, i have been counting every calorie i eat for years and i got pretty good at just guessing when i eat out or something.

The bonus advantages are: you get to read the nutrient info on products and learn a lot about them, like i discovered there is added sugar in the smoked salmon i eat..., you will be able to control your weight very very precise. Another thing is some foods fill you up but actually hold very little calories compared to other foods that will make you feel full, therefore the counting over time makes you an expert on these things and helps you plan meals to fit your needs tremendously.

Maybe for some people just eating what they feel like eating (amounts) works, but every time i did that i lost lots of pounds of muscle mass.
My body doesnt like food that much so if you let me eat only when im hungry i will turn back to skeletor. Therefore counting calories enables me to eat at least exactly the minimum i need to grow or to maintain.

It's interesting to think how much impact that article had on the fitness industry - at the time and since then.

So far as counting calories, I prefer the strategy of roughly knowing the macro profile of food and making adjustments depending on whatever a person's goals are.

Why the habit of only having "other carbs" after a workout? I've always heard to have them in the meal right before your workout. Also if I'm working out right before my classes would it be best to have them with my post workout shake after lifting before class?

I go by this rule:

I look at the food and ask myself, "is this something that a healthy fit person would eat?".

Looked around/did a search and didn't see anything, so I'll ask: Lately I've been skipping breakfast save for a small amount of Ginseng extract followed by a large glass of tepid water with Apple Cider Vinegar. I usually eat something solid within a couple of hours of this.

I've seen conflicting reports on the benefits vs. shortcomings of skipping breakfast. Anyone feel they could contribute? So far I feel good!

P.S. I sometimes blend a smoothy but only 2 or 3 mornings per week.

*edit: I work out and exercise around 4 or 5 times per week. I'm in pretty good shape but don't have a desire to build much muscle mass. I do weights and like definition, but 'bulk' isn't a priority.

Cheers.

How is that remotely helpful?

It's helpful because I travel for work and don't get to eat my regular food. When I look at menu, the first thing I do is ask myself if that is something a healthy eater (who normally juices have their food) would pick.

Berardi's 'Seven Habits' should be demoted from the stickies, imo.

Looked around/did a search and didn't see anything, so I'll ask: Lately I've been skipping breakfast save for a small amount of Ginseng extract followed by a large glass of tepid water with Apple Cider Vinegar. I usually eat something solid within a couple of hours of this.

I've seen conflicting reports on the benefits vs. shortcomings of skipping breakfast. Anyone feel they could contribute? So far I feel good!

As long as you're fine with extending the fast you've had since dinner, there's nothing wrong with it.

I don't believe the whole "You have to eat every couple of hours!" thing anyhow. Only relevant to bodybuilders or people who just want to build/retain appreciable amounts of muscle mass.

Thaijitsu612 said:
Why the habit of only having "other carbs" after a workout? I've always heard to have them in the meal right before your workout. Also if I'm working out right before my classes would it be best to have them with my post workout shake after lifting before class?

My understanding is that you want the carbs post-workout in order to stimulate a proper insulin response.

Pre-workout meal/drink, provided that you ate them at the right time, provides a ready supply of carbs, fats, and protein in your gut and blood to be used while you exercise. In general, they'll probably be spent by the time you're done exercising (though it probably depends on the amount of work and what type of work you did)

But a post-workout carb is necessary if you want to stimulate proper muscle growth. You need insulin to grow, and carbs stimulate your body to release insulin.

Hence the reason why people who eat carbs every hour or so in the form of soft-drinks/snacks tend to stay in a constant state of heightened insulin, and eventually their body becomes desensitized to it. Which then ultimately leads to diabetes.

This is also why you really shouldn't eat carbs unless you really need to. Small amounts, as found in veggies and some fruits, are o.k., but frequent carb consumption is nothing but bad for you.

To each to their own. Ive personally given up calorie/macro counting. I feel it will drive me to the point of ocd and to the point were i'll fall off at times (binge).

Rather i feel better and make better progress if i relax and as long im still lean and energy levels are good i know im on track. Ill eat when im hungry or energy levels low and stick with high nutritious,low gi foods. I Make sure I get the basics in (protein,veggies,fruits, carbs and essential fats at each meal).

If i need an immediate pre workout or during ill just stick with bananas. Post workout is a meal above. Worse comes to worse ill just stick with fruits and protein shake for post workout

Back