Shadow boxing

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry for the late video, but their was nobody to film me shadowboxing before so I figured out a way to film it. @shincheckin I tried to follow your advice I was working on just 1-2's while putting in some movement and some head movement, please put your input, and I also tried adding in hooks and uppercuts, I tried to remember everything my old instructors have taught me before I hit a major roadblock.

Hate the video, love the video idc, but try to give some input and what I can improve on since I'm not in a fight gym I have to use sherdog to help improve. And yes I did go back to basics.

Last edited:
I can't see your feet. It doesn't look like you're driving off your right foot when throwing rights, instead it just looks like you're turning your heel out. The power comes from the solid connection, the DRIVE from the strong part of the foot on the ground. Dig that foot in (lift the toes so they don't get in the way) and drive, screw it into the floor- don't let that right foot get light or hover on the floor, it needs to stay connected as much as possible

After 3 minutes you started getting A LOT more fluid and fast-- that leads to better form and a lot more power, even though it may not seem like a lot to you while doing it. Make sure to shadowbox/warmup a few minutes before you spar or anything like that, you'll be waaay better

You look a lot stronger than last time. Cool beans

I can't see your feet. It doesn't look like you're driving off your right foot when throwing rights, instead it just looks like you're turning your heel out. The power comes from the solid connection, the DRIVE from the strong part of the foot on the ground.

After a 3 minutes you started getting A LOT more fluid and fast-- that leads to better form and a lot more power, even though it may not seem like a lot to you while doing it. Make sure to shadowbox/warmup a few minutes before you spar or anything like that, you'll be waaay better

Ty, I workout lol, yeah I was turning my foot rather then moving it back so I should work on that too. I lifted weight before this though that's why I didn't do no warm up.

I can't see your feet. It doesn't look like you're driving off your right foot when throwing rights, instead it just looks like you're turning your heel out. The power comes from the solid connection, the DRIVE from the strong part of the foot on the ground. Dig that foot in (lift the toes so they don't get in the way) and drive, screw it into the floor- don't let that right foot get light or hover on the floor, it needs to stay connected as much as possible

After 3 minutes you started getting A LOT more fluid and fast-- that leads to better form and a lot more power, even though it may not seem like a lot to you while doing it. Make sure to shadowbox/warmup a few minutes before you spar or anything like that, you'll be waaay better

Did my movement seem good though?

Another thing is you can drop just like 1" (or 2" if it feels right) with each punch. It looks like you're doing it a teensy bit sometimes but you could do it every time and with a more pronounced drop.

Use your legs to drop, it will compound the force and penetration by an extremely large factor and the other guy will feel it. That tiny little tweak will make it much, much uglier for the other guy. It will pay off, trust me

It's the correct way for a reason

Yeah not too bad

Alright. I got to use a smaller box because I used one of the taller ones to set my phone down on it, I tried to hit the bag too, but the gym is doing a summer camp and they told me to leave the area so they can use it.

Another thing is you can drop just like 1" (or 2" if it feels right) with each punch. It looks like you're doing it a teensy bit sometimes but you could do it every time and with a more pronounced drop.

Use your legs to drop, it will compound the force and penetration by an extremely large factor and the other guy will feel it. That tiny little tweak will make it much, much uglier for the other guy. It will pay off, trust me

It's the correct way for a reason

Alright thanks for the advice.

If anybody has any other advice let me know. If I can get someone to spar then I will post a sparring video.

One more thing I saw, is that you aren't rotating your fists nearly at all. If you did, it would make the punch snappier and snap in and out quicker with eventually no real effort. Better effect with less energy. Also the torque from the rotation will make it stick into (penetrate) with less effort and great effect, instead of bouncing off the guy. They know this in karate, too, but do it the boxing way

Eventually you just kinda flick it (flick-rotate, not consciously turn slowly) and it and the arm will snake out on its own from the shoulder. You turn the shoulder a little and flick-rotate and the arm will leap out like lightning and back (reverse rotate for it to snap back in). You won't believe how fast and hard your punches get with no effort.
Become the next Amir Khan

Last edited:
One more thing I saw, is that you aren't rotating your fists nearly at all. If you did, it would make the punch snappier and snap in and out quicker with eventually no real effort. Better effect with less energy. Also the torque from the rotation will make it stick into (penetrate) with less effort and great effect, instead of bouncing off the guy. They know this in karate, too, but do it the boxing way

Eventually you just kinda flick it (flick-rotate, not consciously turn slowly) and it and the arm will snake out on its own from the shoulder. You turn the shoulder a little and flick-rotate and the arm will leap out like lightning and back (reverse rotate for it to snap back in). You won't believe how fast and hard your punches get with no effort.
Become the next Amir Khan

Lol I don't like Amir khan. I did not realize I wasn't rotating my fist, that's another thing I got to work on. I hope to be better then Amir Khan though. Because Amir Khan is like every other pakistani he's arrogant and only believes in what he believes in. I believe I can be better then Amir Khan. I also have to find a job too so I can train in an actual fight gym. I will work on the flick rotate as you call it, that seems like it will help more.

Lol I don't like Amir khan. I did not realize I wasn't rotating my fist, that's another thing I got to work on. I hope to be better then Amir Khan though. Because Amir Khan is like every other pakistani he's arrogant and only believes in what he believes in. I believe I can be better then Amir Khan. I also have to find a job too so I can train in an actual fight gym. I will work on the flick rotate as you call it, that seems like it will help more.

Yeah I just meant his speed, not his attitude, haha

If you acted like that I wouldn't tell you anything

Oh I should of guessed that. People usually do say I'm really fast.

Yeah you look smoother than I expected. You can get much better and much faster. I even see it happening after 3 minutes into your vid. You start to get fluid and a little bit snappy. That's the threshold where punches become actually very useful/dangerous and not just annoying/pesky. They become a different thing altogether

Remember to progress smoothly, slowly and not try to gain all the results in 1 day or week. That's what everyone else does and it will ruin your progress

Just gain a steady 1% improvement each session but don't hold out for more. Sometimes (here and there, during major breakthrus) you might get more, but don't ever hold out for it. 1% is damn good

Yeah you look smoother than I expected. You can get much better and much faster. I even see it happening after 3 minutes into your vid. You start to get fluid and a little bit snappy. That's the threshold where punches become actually very useful/dangerous and not just annoying/pesky. They become a different thing altogether

Remember to progress smoothly, slowly and not try to gain all the results in 1 day or week. That's what everyone else does and it will ruin your progress

Just gain a steady 1% improvement each session but don't hold out for more. Sometimes (here and there, during major breakthrus) you might get more, but don't ever hold out for it. 1% is damn good

Alright thank you.

Ok so if anyone has anymore advice please share. @Reyesnuthugr gave some really good advice. Unless their's not much advice left? @shincheckin feel free to jump in at anytime, because I want to hear your input.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late video, but their was nobody to film me shadowboxing before so I figured out a way to film it. @shincheckin I tried to follow your advice I was working on just 1-2's while putting in some movement and some head movement, please put your input, and I also tried adding in hooks and uppercuts, I tried to remember everything my old instructors have taught me before I hit a major roadblock.

Hate the video, love the video idc, but try to give some input and what I can improve on since I'm not in a fight gym I have to use sherdog to help improve. And yes I did go back to basics.

can you go faster?

can you go faster?

This shadowboxing workout is perfect, so every round is 1 min to my understanding right? Round 1 is just movement, round 2 is single technique (like the jab) round 3 is combos, round 4 to imagine walking down your opponent, round 5 fight from the outside, round 6 counterpuncher, round 7 visualizing that I rocked the guy and using counter strikes and powershots to finish him, round 8 flow combos (throwing 1, then 1-2, then 1-2-3 etc) and round 9 acting like I'm in a fight, round 10 lateral movement and practice striking, and the final round is just punch outs for x amount of time then move out of the way and do it for longer then move around again etc. Is that correct?

And would it be ok, to start off slow at first? or should I just keep a moderate-high intensity throughout the whole thing?

Last edited:
This shadowboxing workout is perfect, so every round is 1 min to my understanding right? Round 1 is just movement, round 2 is single technique (like the jab) round 3 is combos, round 4 to imagine walking down your opponent, round 5 fight from the outside, round 6 counterpuncher, round 7 visualizing that I rocked the guy and using counter strikes and powershots to finish him, round 8 flow combos (throwing 1, then 1-2, then 1-2-3 etc) and round 9 acting like I'm in a fight, round 10 lateral movement and practice striking, and the final round is just punch outs for x amount of time then move out of the way and do it for longer then move around again etc. Is that correct?

And would it be ok, to start off slow at first? or should I just keep a moderate-high intensity throughout the whole thing?

you need to move faster, right now your moving like a sloth. You should be moving quickly and building up a sweat, shadowboxing is very tiring. why are you doing everything so slow? post a video of you hitting the bag 4 times as fast as possible, then do the same thing shadow boxing, give me 4 punches, as fast as possible.

Last edited:
you need to move faster, right now your moving like a sloth. You should be moving quickly and building up a sweat, shadowboxing is very tiring. why are you doing everything so slow? post a video of you hitting the bag 4 times as fast as possible, then do the same thing shadow boxing, give me 4 punches, as fast as possible.

Yeah I was moving slow to get the technique down since I am going back to basics, ok I don't know if I can do it today or on Monday because I need to find a place to my phone so that you guys can see me hitting the bag clearly. I will work on it today.

Back