Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Release date is on 14th. If you preordered, you can already play.

I liked the reboot more than the last one. The reboot was so action packed, the last one had too much exploration imo and not enough action set pieces. I havn't played since getting to the village in Rise.

I'm the opposite. I think the first one was kind of boring. It started off great but mid way through I was rushing through just to finish it. A few things I didn't like:

1. To much rock climbing which was all pretty much the same and boring.
2. Stealth was shown in the beginning of the game and became almost useless after that.
3. Story was pretty good but your going through all this shit on the island while your scientist friend is walking around like nothings going on. It was ruining the story for me and made zero sense.

The second one pretty much fixed all these issues.

Just bought it on Steam.

The reviews are 91% positive with almost 600 in so while it may not be a huge leap forward, it is without a doubt as good as its predecessors.

I was worried because a Canadian dev team was awarded this sequel over Crystal Dynamics. (Hence the SJW pre-apology on game start)

I've watched a few reviews, and meh. I won't buy it unless it's on sale, massively marked down. The last one was way too boring and tedious, I'm not being had again.

I don't like the story of the new ones nor the fact that Lara has no personality or sense of humor anymore.

The one good thing I caught in the reviews I've looked it is that there's less action in this one and the puzzles are great, which is why I may give it a chance down the line. Still no vehicles though as far as I'm aware, I don't understand that move. I loved hopping on a quad or in a boat.

Wow, Lara looks just like Catherine Keener. Amirite?

Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-4.jpg

catherine-keener-in-un-immagine-del-film-synecdcoche-new-york-93488.jpg

Decided to grab this on Game Pass. About 5GB left to download.

I kind of just forgot about this game. I loved ROTTR though, and from what I've heard, this one toned down the lame combat for more exploration, which I personally think is the right move. The combat never really felt good in these games. This game seems really divisive on that aspect though. Seems like it's more for the adventure gamer and not the action gamer, which is fine by me.

I kind of just forgot about this game. I loved ROTTR though, and from what I've heard, this one toned down the lame combat for more exploration, which I personally think is the right move. The combat never really felt good in these games. This game seems really divisive on that aspect though. Seems like it's more for the adventure gamer and not the action gamer, which is fine by me.

Dude, I was given a free deluxe ed code from my cousin, some promotion from nvidia or something. It's icon is on my desktop, and I haven't thought about it in like 8 months. I really liked the other 2, but it's just sittin there.

i really enjoyed the 2013 game but stopped playing at the end, maybe got a new game or something. then i downloaded Rise cheap but only played a little, wanting to complete the first one. went back to it and got smoked a few times seeing as i'm in the endgame and rusty. will have to get back into them then snag the newest one cheap

I've played all of these games and enjoyed them all. The combat is what you make of it. If you want to run and gun then it can be kind of lame, but if you go the stealth kill route using sneak attacks and your bow and arrow, or even a silenced pistol it can be fairly rewarding. I nerf the settings a bit though and use auto aim.

The actual gameplay in this game is incredible, and the graphics are insane

I've played all of these games and enjoyed them all. The combat is what you make of it. If you want to run and gun then it can be kind of lame, but if you go the stealth kill route using sneak attacks and your bow and arrow, or even a silenced pistol it can be fairly rewarding. I nerf the settings a bit though and use auto aim.

Yeah, the more methodical gameplay feels right. The shooting fish in a barrel sequences, not so much. I don't know what it is with this series, but the gun play just feels off. Like you're shooting rubber bullets or something. It feels so generic and lifeless.

Anyways, got in a little bit of game time. My God, is it a shock to the system going from RDR2 to this. I thought the game was a little off, but I had to remind myself that it wasn't trying to go for an ultra realistic feel, and adjust accordingly. Once I got over that, it was all good. The game is just incredible to look at. The graphics are insanely good, and I can't wait to see what else it has in store. I don't usually take screenshots, but I couldn't resist with this game. There's so much depth and density to your field of view. Got me on a tree branch in the jungle looking over a waterfall, with a few howler monkeys roaming up above. It looks so damn good.

The game itself feels like more of the same from ROTTR, and I'm all good with that.

I didn't like the first one but the other two were absolutely amazing. The second being the best in the series. The third ones main issue was you would go long periods without fighting anyone. The first one started off good but story went to shit and it got to repetitive.

Put a decent amount of time into it. The graphics are great, the tombs are great, the combat still sucks(especially the new focus on fighting agile animals that a hard to get a beat on, but you can beat by just waiting for them to grab a hold of you, and QTE your way through them)...

The game lacks a big thing though. Focus. It has no flow, and everything just feels cobbled together. ROTTR was damn near perfect in it's execution of natural progression. The pacing of that game felt great, as you'd be introduced to new areas, and be allowed to roam around and complete it's side tasks, upgrade your skills to get over certain locked paths, while at the same time feeling a connection to the central campaign. You never really felt lost in that game, and everything you were doing felt like it had purpose. This game just feels like maps with tasks, with nothing driving you forward. It's hard to care about anything you're doing in this, because it's just so scatterbrained. It's got a bit of identity crises. It wants to be a bit of an open world game, while also being a bit of a confined linear experience, but it's missing that certain something to bring it all together.

Don't get wrong though, it's still a solid game with tons to do, and there is still a rich depth to a lot of what you're doing. The tombs and the crypts are well put together, and appropriately expanded on from the last game, and all of gameplay elements feel tight(other than the combat of course, which they might've actually made a bit worse). It's just not that tight from collective experience perspective, if that makes any sense. It just doesn't all come together for some reason. You don't feel a very strong connection to the game world or anything you're doing in it.

I made it to where the story was really starting to unfurl and then just put it down. I think I want less out of games. There's often just too much stuff littering the map. I used to be able to ignore collectibles and the like, but newer games all want to have crafting mechanics so I feel like I have to run around collecting junk.

Maybe I should have just tried to power through it without anything beyond incidental upgrades.

Yeah, the more methodical gameplay feels right. The shooting fish in a barrel sequences, not so much. I don't know what it is with this series, but the gun play just feels off. Like you're shooting rubber bullets or something. It feels so generic and lifeless.

Anyways, got in a little bit of game time. My God, is it a shock to the system going from RDR2 to this. I thought the game was a little off, but I had to remind myself that it wasn't trying to go for an ultra realistic feel, and adjust accordingly. Once I got over that, it was all good. The game is just incredible to look at. The graphics are insanely good, and I can't wait to see what else it has in store. I don't usually take screenshots, but I couldn't resist with this game. There's so much depth and density to your field of view. Got me on a tree branch in the jungle looking over a waterfall, with a few howler monkeys roaming up above. It looks so damn good.

The game itself feels like more of the same from ROTTR, and I'm all good with that.

Would you say that while it's not as good as ROTTR (which I loved too, despite it's faults), is it a worthy end to the trilogy? I just finished the prologue section in Cozumel last night.....

Would you say that while it's not as good as ROTTR (which I loved too, despite it's faults), is it a worthy end to the trilogy? I just finished the prologue section in Cozumel last night.....

It's definitely worth playing. I'm not done yet, but I think it's fair to say that it just lacks a certain punch that the other games had. It doesn't feel like an evolution from ROTTR. It feels like it's stuck in the mud. If I could sum the trilogy up, it would go something like:

TR1: Wow, this is a damn good reboot.

TR2: HOLY SHIT! Watch your ass, Uncharted. This franchise is going places!

TR3: Ehhh, not bad. Spinning the tires a bit, but it's alright.

It's definitely worth playing. I'm not done yet, but I think it's fair to say that it just lacks a certain punch that the other games had. It doesn't feel like an evolution from ROTTR. It feels like it's stuck in the mud. If I could sum the trilogy up, it would go something like:

TR1: Wow, this is a damn good reboot.

TR2: HOLY SHIT! Watch your ass, Uncharted. This franchise is going places!

TR3: Ehhh, not bad. Spinning the tires a bit, but it's alright.

Yeah, I heard a lot about the sentiment regarding the game essentially boiling down to it not being the next step, after the big leap of the second game.

Not sure why this was bumped but....

I recently started replaying Tomb Raider 2013 and I now realized how much better it is than Shadow. Like so much fucking better. It is more action packed and has so many awesome cinematic camera angles within the gameplay that really draw you in. Shadow was so boring and disconnected that it took me several months to even make it to the end of the game. I still haven't conpleted it and I am right towards the end. But the 2013 version completed in a couple weeks. I play on PC for multiplats and so in 4K ultra with TressFX, the graphics hold up amazingly. Like GTA V amazingly.

Shadow essentially just removed these elements but added nothing. Funny enough, even with Dolby Atmos support, the sound in the 2013 version is still more satisfying.

I am leaving out Rise. I think Rise was a great game but the environments weren't as enjoyable.

Also, Lara from 2013 os so much better looking than the Rise and Shadow models.

The end.

Not sure why this was bumped but....

I recently started replaying Tomb Raider 2013 and I now realized how much better it is than Shadow. Like so much fucking better. It is more action packed and has so many awesome cinematic camera angles within the gameplay that really draw you in. Shadow was so boring and disconnected that it took me several months to even make it to the end of the game. I still haven't conpleted it and I am right towards the end. But the 2013 version completed in a couple weeks. I play on PC for multiplats and so in 4K ultra with TressFX, the graphics hold up amazingly. Like GTA V amazingly.

Shadow essentially just removed these elements but added nothing. Funny enough, even with Dolby Atmos support, the sound in the 2013 version is still more satisfying.

I am leaving out Rise. I think Rise was a great game but the environments weren't as enjoyable.

Also, Lara from 2013 os so much better looking than the Rise and Shadow models.

The end.

I didn't like 2013 that much. Thought the story was really dumb (scientist walking around freely the whole time while you fight for your life). Also they introduced stealth in the beginning of the game and then it never got used again after that. Shadow used stealth a lot more that's why I enjoyed the later games a lot more. 2013 also had horrible puzzles like they were just flat out lazy. The newest one had the best puzzles so far.

Back