Shadow of War - Officially Removes Microtransactions

Sounds good to me, developers need to focus on making good games people will want to buy for years, not try to make e-slaves of people with annual versions of socially based games.

I'm sort of in the middle when it comes to this sort of stuff. First I'd need to see the money being made\lost on games and if DLC\microtransactions are necessary at this stage. If they are? Then I obviously support it because I love gaming and I don't want the industry to die. If they aren't? Well then fuck off with your micro transactions. At the same time purely cosmetic stuff has never bothered me.

Lol some of yall got got.

This is just PR, Im betting they made all the money they couldve made and to bet some points and good PR, decided to take it out. Im sure this'll drive a bit of sales.

Possibly....

Hell, probably...

If the first game wasn't awesome, I would would have written off this game entirely.

But, I really wanted to play the game, and they removed the one aspect that prevented me from buying the game on Day1 with the season pass (which is $100 total). Now, I'll buy the game when all the DLC is included in a Steam sale for no more than $40. They lost $60 of what I would have paid an entire 15+ months prior.

This is the last 'Shadow of ______' game they're releasing, ever, so probably this will be the last title from WB games I'll ever purchase.

But that's just me. Who knows how many potential purchasers have skipped it when it was initially released, and won't purchase it now.

So, has WB games learned their lesson? Probably not. The rest of the industry certainly hasn't, but at the very least publishers/developers will be second guessing including Microtransactions/Lootboxes in single-player campaigns in the future.

Possibly....

Hell, probably...

If the first game wasn't awesome, I would would have written off this game entirely.

But, I really wanted to play the game, and they removed the one aspect that prevented me from buying the game on Day1 with the season pass (which is $100 total). Now, I'll buy the game when all the DLC is included in a Steam sale for no more than $40. They lost $60 of what I would have paid an entire 15+ months prior.

This is the last 'Shadow of ______' game they're releasing, ever, so probably this will be the last title from WB games I'll ever purchase.

But that's just me. Who knows how many potential purchasers have skipped it when it was initially released, and won't purchase it now.

So, has WB games learned their lesson? Probably not. The rest of the industry certainly hasn't, but at the very least publishers/developers will be second guessing including Microtransactions/Lootboxes in single-player campaigns in the future.

How do you know this is the last Shadow of game?

Gentlemen, give me reports if its good. id like to fuck with it

Ahh. Lame. It's a fun series.

Agreed.

I've watched many hours of gameplay videos of it, and its a gigantic improvement over the original in nearly every aspect.

It makes me wonder how awesome a 3rd entry of the game would be.

As a lover of video games and of Lord of the Rings... Both of the games in this series get really, really repetitive and stale imo.

I felt the same way about all of the Assassin's Creed games except black flag, because for some reason I was in love with the naval aspect of it.

Edit: i'd like to clarify, that I don't think they're bad games. I really enjoy them for like the first ten to fifteen hours and even sporadically after that. I just think the gameplay gets repetitive and boring after a bit.

Agreed.

I've watched many hours of gameplay videos of it, and its a gigantic improvement over the original in nearly every aspect.

It makes me wonder how awesome a 3rd entry of the game would be.

only beef i have is jesus christ, we can only use a damn sword and dagger? we should be able to use other types of weapons ya know?

as a general rule of thumb, games based on outside franchises (movies, books, comics, whatever) suck shit and get halfassed because fans of ___ are likely to buy it.

i suspect if games like this and star wars battlewhatever had different titles/skins, they'd have worse reviews and way smaller playerbases.

(no, i wouldn't play this)

This is the way not-actually-owning your games is headed. Being charged another price for every. little. thing. Because they know you'll pay.

Skipped this not only because of the microtranaactions, but because it looked identical to the first game. I loved Shadow of Mordor but didn’t want to pay $60 for another iteration.

They were NEVER an issue in the game. Their influence was zero. Never spent a penny and have 95% completion.

Skipped this not only because of the microtranaactions, but because it looked identical to the first game. I loved Shadow of Mordor but didn’t want to pay $60 for another iteration.

It’s a great game that developes the themes.

This is the way not-actually-owning your games is headed. Being charged another price for every. little. thing. Because they know you'll pay.

This wasn’t happening in SoW. The micro transactions were for shit you were getting all the time and which wasn’t actually worth a damn. The transactIona were bolted on to a game which had no core mechanics or gameplay compromised unlike shit like Battlefied 2.

Knee jerk reaction without knowing what happened in the game.

As a lover of video games and of Lord of the Rings... Both of the games in this series get really, really repetitive and stale imo.

I felt the same way about all of the Assassin's Creed games except black flag, because for some reason I was in love with the naval aspect of it.

Edit: i'd like to clarify, that I don't think they're bad games. I really enjoy them for like the first ten to fifteen hours and even sporadically after that. I just think the gameplay gets repetitive and boring after a bit.

Black Flag had pirate battles and nothing else/

Gentlemen, give me reports if its good. id like to fuck with it

Very fun game, better than any new Assassins Creed except for Origin which stole a shit load from it blatantly. Origin is AC rebuilt around SoW gameplay but without the awesome Nemesis mechanism which contradicts the story aspect of AC as compared to the craft your own story of SoW.

I just bought this game a few weeks back. Now is a good time to dive in. Was waiting for this patch.

Made literally no change in gameplay unless you’re a whale sucker.

I stopped. I got this game on release. The story is either incredibly boring or will piss you off if you are deep into the lore. The open world structure is odd. But what mainly kills the game is one of the acts is just long stages of tower defense modes where you faces hordes of increasingly difficult ogres. That’s where the silly micro transactions come in. Or did.

Bullshit, you’ve never played the game and wrote your shit based on reviews.

The defense mode is the Endgame after you’ve finished the story.

So you haven't played it since.

You haven't played it after any of the updates.

You're not going to be playing it after the recent updates.

Gotchya.

I get that you're pissed, paying $60 for what essentially was a beta filled with microtransactions, but this thread is about the numerous improvements the updates have provided.

At the very least, Monolith didn't pull a EA/Bioware and abandon the game after it didn't meet sales expectations.

Game wasn’t filled with micro transactions

The game had a mechanism where you had loot boxes which gave you orcs, weapons or perks (for orcs). Everything you needed you got in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
They were NEVER an issue in the game. Their influence was zero. Never spent a penny and have 95% completion.

It’s a great game that developes the themes.

This wasn’t happening in SoW. The micro transactions were for shit you were getting all the time and which wasn’t actually worth a damn. The transactIona were bolted on to a game which had no core mechanics or gameplay compromised unlike shit like Battlefied 2.

Knee jerk reaction without knowing what happened in the game.

Black Flag had pirate battles and nothing else/

Very fun game, better than any new Assassins Creed except for Origin which stole a shit load from it blatantly. Origin is AC rebuilt around SoW gameplay but without the awesome Nemesis mechanism which contradicts the story aspect of AC as compared to the craft your own story of SoW.

Made literally no change in gameplay unless you’re a whale sucker.

Bullshit, you’ve never played the game and wrote your shit based on reviews.

The defense mode is the Endgame after you’ve finished the story.

Game wasn’t filled with micro transactions

The game had a mechanism where you had loot boxes which gave you orcs, weapons or perks (for orcs). Everything you needed you got in the game.

You wanna bet your account that I’ve never played the game? The defense mode is used to see the true ending and get 100%. It’s BS and used strictly to entice you to purchase loot boxes. That’s a fact. Now technically you don’t have to buy loot boxes and grind your ass off. But I’m sick of games arbitrarily inflating the length of gameplay/difficulty of gameplay for micros. Especially in a fucking single player title. And LOL@AC stealing from this. All Warner Bros published titles are complete rip off of Ubisoft open world design games, right down to the climb the tower to reveal the region mechanic. If anything, AC origins borrows heavily from Witcher and the devs freely admit that. But I guess I’ve never played Orgins too right?

Last edited by a moderator:
What does this mean? Literally nothing came out in 2014. Destiny was disappointing. Watch Dogs was disappointing. WB puts out mediocre shitty games. Mad Max? The last two Batman’s. Outside the nemesis system this was boring also. I mean unless super repetitive dull games is your thing

What game isnt repetitive?

Microtransactions in a single player game lol

Tbh it's not nearly as bad when there's a market to buy/sell items. Unlike buying loot boxes in LoL or Overwatch where it's all locked to your account

It's 20 bucks on Green Man right now, I was seriously considering it, I need some single-player goodness in my life, and enjoyed the first one for a good while.

Microtransactions in a single player game lol

Tbh it's not nearly as bad when there's a market to buy/sell items. Unlike buying loot boxes in LoL or Overwatch where it's all locked to your account
See, I think the loot box model works great when it's cosmetic items. No one NEEDS a new Tracer skin, but if people want to buy it so be it. Star Wars Battlegrounds and Shadow of War really showed how low they can stoop though.

Lol some of yall got got.

This is just PR, Im betting they made all the money they couldve made and to bet some points and good PR, decided to take it out. Im sure this'll drive a bit of sales.
lol probably.

Good game, though. Get a flame sword for maximum pain.

Back