Shadow Warrior 2

I could have sworn ROTR came out in 1992, turns out the engine came out in 1992, not the game. Cheers!

Maybe you’re thinking of Wolfenstein 3D? Doom 1 didn’t even come out till December 1993 and ROTR was one of the myriad “Doom clones” of its day that followed.

Ahh I think I figured it out. I think it went straight to digital only. I don't think there is a hardcopy version for Xbox.

Maybe you’re thinking of Wolfenstein 3D? Doom 1 didn’t even come out till December 1993 and ROTR was one of the myriad “Doom clones” of its day that followed.

ROTR used the Wolfenstein 3D game engine, and was developed by Apogee Software (most know them as 3D Realms, who would be battling ID for the next few years).

Doom came later, and with it launched iD Tech 1, the first real jump from the Wolfenstein 3D engine.

ROTR used the Wolfenstein 3D game engine, and was developed by Apogee Software (most know them as 3D Realms, who would be battling ID for the next few years).

Doom came later, and with it launched iD Tech 1, the first real jump from the Wolfenstein 3D engine.

I know ROTR doesn’t use the same engine of Doom, but it did release a full year after Doom. When I say “Doom clone” I mean it colloquially as that’s what FPS games were known as before the phrase FPS became commonly known.

There isnt a hard copy version for anything
Yeah weird. I am a hardcopy guy. I buy disc for every game I own, but the SW1 was a freebie Download so I grabbed it and really like it. I will buy SW2 for sure, after I am done with SW1.

I know ROTR doesn’t use the same engine of Doom, but it did release a full year after Doom. When I say “Doom clone” I mean it colloquially as that’s what FPS games were known as before the phrase FPS became commonly known.

Yup, agreed. Doom clones, Quake clones, etc. What is the thing being cloned now? Call of Duty? Dark Souls? WoW?

Yup, agreed. Doom clones, Quake clones, etc. What is the thing being cloned now? Call of Duty? Dark Souls? WoW?

Well I’ve never heard the phrase Quake or Call of Duty clones (certainly by the time Quake 3 came out in 1999 people were just calling them FPS games) but I’d definitely say that the Souls games are now being subjected to being “cloned” as there are several titles that are copying it to various degrees such as Lords of the Fallen (aka Clunk Souls), the Surge and Nioh.

Well I’ve never heard the phrase Quake or Call of Duty clones (certainly by the time Quake 3 came out in 1999 people were just calling them FPS games) but I’d definitely say that the Souls games are now being subjected to being “cloned” as there are several titles that are copying it to various degrees such as Lords of the Fallen (aka Clunk Souls), the Surge and Nioh.

That's bizarre! Quake clone / Quake killer was arguably a more famous term, and more widely used than Doom clone as Quake created & defined the first major professional online leagues, CAL, OGL, Quakecon, etc.

Quake set the standard, and it wasn't just the polygon advantage over build engine games like Duke Nukem 3D. It was the highly realized, competitive, free look multiplayer environment that shaped MP games even to where we're at in 2018.

So even in 1999 they weren't really just called FPS games, most everything was cross-compared to what it was emulating before it. You also get CS clones, CS killers that came later too. Same with Halo / Goldeneye on consoles.

That's bizarre! Quake clone / Quake killer was arguably a more famous term, and more widely used than Doom clone as Quake created & defined the first major professional online leagues, CAL, OGL, Quakecon, etc.

Quake set the standard, and it wasn't just the polygon advantage over build engine games like Duke Nukem 3D. It was the highly realized, competitive, free look multiplayer environment that shaped MP games even to where we're at in 2018.

So even in 1999 they weren't really just called FPS games, most everything was cross-compared to what it was emulating before it. You also get CS clones, CS killers that came later too. Same with Halo / Goldeneye on consoles.

I remember the phrase “Quake Killer” but it was only reserved for games that maybe brought something new or better to the genre. I mostly only remember it being attributed to Unreal (as against Quake 2) and Unreal Tournament (as against Quake 3). Your ordinary run of the mill FPS games of the time weren’t being called “Quake Killers”.

I remember the phrase “Quake Killer” but it was only reserved for games that maybe brought something new or better to the genre. I mostly only remember it being attributed to Unreal (as against Quake 2) and Unreal Tournament (as against Quake 3). Your ordinary run of the mill FPS games of the time weren’t being called “Quake Killers”.

There wasn't really any ordinary, run of the mill FPS games at that point. I know that sounds weird, but the industry wasn't as casual as it is now. Every FPS release was a pretty big deal, and practically nothing went under the radar. This is the era where every development cycle was a major, major deal and games got sequels 2-3 years after their release if you were lucky, not every twelve months.

The term Quake Killer was applied to anything people could apply it to, I even heard it applied to non-FPS titles, it was just a way of saying your game is going to steal the MP spotlight away from Quake.

Unreal 1-2, Unreal Tourney, Daikatana, etc. Are easy comparisons, but the title was a little bigger than that.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/how-quake-changed-video-games-forever-20160622

"Twenty years ago, it set the template for video games." I don't usually quote Rolling Stone, but that's a damn true statement. It was a template not only for MP, but also for design, Quake 1-2 were the first titles to utilize that free look, fully 3D environment, polygon enemies, etc. And most games, even non-FPS, followed in suite. The comparisons to Quake were endless, and it arguably was a bigger impact than Doom considering we're still in the polygon theater, and it's already lasted longer than the sprite era.

Back