Shadowboxing critique

make your punches longer and next time film your feet too

Thanks guys! Lots of good stuff to take away here. I’ve gotten conflicting advice in the past regarding the full extension of straight punches. Basically, full extension + no opposing force to hit (bag,etc.) = murder on the joints. I’m aware that I’m pulling them for that reason and I make a point of extending in sparring and bag work.

Having said that, when my schedule gets crazy, I miss out on bagwork and sparring. Then I compensate by shadowboxing more in my little bits of free time. Then, when I’m able to get back in the gym more, I notice I’ll have trouble getting the elbow up and the punch fully extended. My straights almost become a bit wing-chunny. So, I’m definitely ingraining a bit of a bad habit there. Any thoughts on this?

Also, any comments on my elbows?

As far as footwork, yeah I’m dealing with a giant pile of shoes on the floor off-camera lol. So I was moving as much as I could. I definitely move around more when I have the space. I’ll try to find a spot and set-up where I can move around more and get my feet in the frame. Thanks again dudes!

You don't slam your elbows. There is a major difference between punching with proper technique and going full power on the air. You DO need to extend your punches properly, you DO NOT want to hyper-extend your elbow with your fury. Be nice and loose, and retract your punches as soon as you reach extension.

Back