Movies SHANG-CHI (Crosses $400 Million Worldwide, Becomes Highest U.S. Grossing Movie of Pandemic Era)

If you have seen SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Tbh this character doesn't even come off as a super hero.

Suprised marvel didnt usr namor instead

The reason is simple (and I think I posted it here months ago), according to Feige Namor rights is with Universal so Namor movie is a possibility but situation with rights are not very easy.

My previous post looks a bit weird so, if I remember it right Universal owns either production or distribution rights for Namor, so making a movie requires a talk with Universal (or I think Feige implied that they need a talk with lawyers to make sure that Disney owns all neded rights to make Namor movie without Universal). Plus, Aquaman is coming to theaters soon so if they announce a Namor solo movie Marvel haters will be throwing a lot of shit at Marvel/Disney.

Update: March 13, 2019

Short Term 12 Filmmaker Destin Daniel Cretton to Direct Marvel Studios' SHANG-CHI Movie

yPloVoF.jpg

Marvel Studios has hired its director for Shang-Chi, the project that will feature the studio's first Asian lead. Destin Daniel Cretton will direct the feature, based on the classic character known for his martial arts prowess.

Cretton broke out with the 2013 indie favorite Short Term 12, which starred Brie Larson as a woman working in a group home for teenagers. Cretton reteamed with Larson for 2017's The Glass Castle, and he is currently directing the Captain Marvel star and Black Panther's Michael B. Jordan in Just Mercy, based on the memoir of Equal Justice Initiative founder Bryan Stevenson.

Other filmmakers who were in the running for Shang-Chi included Dear White People's Justin Tipping, Master of Young's Alan Yang, who is behind the upcoming John Cho movie Tigertail, and Deborah Chow, whose credits include episodes of Reign, Jessica Jones and the upcoming Star Wars Disney+ series The Mandalorian.

Shang-Chi, who in the comics is half-Chinese and half-American, first appeared in 1973’s Special Marvel Edition No. 15 and was created by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin after Marvel failed to acquire the comic book rights to the television series Kung Fu. Shang-Chi was trained as a martial artist assassin by his father, the infamous pulp villain Fu Manchu, but later became a hero after rebelling against his father's ways. Shang-Chi was a hit character in the '70s, and recently saw a revival as a member of The Avengers during 2012’s Marvel Now! Publishing event.

Wonder Woman 1984 screenwriter Dave Callaham is penning the script for Shang-Chi and will update the character for modern audiences. Marvel is said to be planning on assembling a largely Asian-American and Asian cast for this feature.

Marvel head Kevin Feige is producing, with Marvel’s Louis D'Esposito, Victoria Alonso, and Jonathan Schwartz executive producing.

News of Shang-Chi comes as Marvel eyes an end to the 11-year journey it began with 2008's Iron Man and will in some ways conclude with next month's Avengers: Endgame. Aside from Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5), the studio has not revealed its post-Endgame plans, though films it has in the works include sequels to Black Panther and Doctor Strange; a Black Widow prequel and The Eternals.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...tin-daniel-cretton-1194443?utm_source=twitter

You mean to tell me they went through Marvel's back catalog and still couldn't find a more superhero-y asian character than... a guy who does martial arts?

Donnie Yen, Jet Li, or Jackie Chan in the leading roll please.

Gotta happen if it's to be iconic

I'll take Tony Jaa if he still go it as a backup.

This movie will live or die on it's fight scenes. For the love of God, make it better than Iron Fist:eek:

Update: March 13, 2019

12 Short Term Filmmaker Destin Daniel Cretton to Direct Marvel Studios' SHANG-CHI Movie

yPloVoF.jpg

Marvel Studios has hired its director for Shang-Chi, the project that will feature the studio's first Asian lead. Destin Daniel Cretton will direct the feature, based on the classic character known for his martial arts prowess.

Cretton broke out with the 2013 indie favorite Short Term 12, which starred Brie Larson as a woman working in a group home for teenagers. Cretton reteamed with Larson for 2017's The Glass Castle, and he is currently directing the Captain Marvel star and Black Panther's Michael B. Jordan in Just Mercy, based on the memoir of Equal Justice Initiative founder Bryan Stevenson.

Other filmmakers who were in the running for Shang-Chi included Dear White People's Justin Tipping, Master of Young's Alan Yang, who is behind the upcoming John Cho movie Tigertail, and Deborah Chow, whose credits include episodes of Reign, Jessica Jones and the upcoming Star Wars Disney+ series The Mandalorian.

Shang-Chi, who in the comics is half-Chinese and half-American, first appeared in 1973’s Special Marvel Edition No. 15 and was created by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin after Marvel failed to acquire the comic book rights to the television series Kung Fu. Shang-Chi was trained as a martial artist assassin by his father, the infamous pulp villain Fu Manchu, but later became a hero after rebelling against his father's ways. Shang-Chi was a hit character in the '70s, and recently saw a revival as a member of The Avengers during 2012’s Marvel Now! Publishing event.

Wonder Woman 1984 screenwriter Dave Callaham is penning the script for Shang-Chi and will update the character for modern audiences. Marvel is said to be planning on assembling a largely Asian-American and Asian cast for this feature.

Marvel head Kevin Feige is producing, with Marvel’s Louis D'Esposito, Victoria Alonso, and Jonathan Schwartz executive producing.

News of Shang-Chi comes as Marvel eyes an end to the 11-year journey it began with 2008's Iron Man and will in some ways conclude with next month's Avengers: Endgame. Aside from Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5), the studio has not revealed its post-Endgame plans, though films it has in the works include sequels to Black Panther and Doctor Strange; a Black Widow prequel and The Eternals.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...tin-daniel-cretton-1194443?utm_source=twitter

They can use Iron Fist on what not to do.

Did the director guy direct comedies? Because comedy directors have made the best Marvel fight scenes.

they should have just made a movie(a good one) on iron fist if they wanted a martial arts movie. shang chi is too obscure for the casual audience

Give it to the guy who wanted to be Iron Fist, but couldn’t be.

Donnie Yen, Jet Li, or Jackie Chan in the leading roll please.

Gotta happen if it's to be iconic

I'll take Tony Jaa if he still go it as a backup.
Too old, Jaa is the only one who wouldnt be starting the character as a geriatric

Too old, Jaa is the only one who wouldnt be starting the character as a geriatric
all too old

not Chinese
I see your point but...
Donnie & Jet don't look that old though... I think they could pull it off. Especially Donnie. They have "young faces." Jackie couldn't.... he never really had a young face even when he was young. Besides... look what they did with Shaft in Captain Marvel.

Donnie yen in 2017
330px-Dy_wikipedia.jpg

"Iceman: The Time Traveller" just came out last year. Put a red headband on him & you got your Shang chi
iu

I see your point but...
Donnie & Jet don't look that old though... I think they could pull it off. Especially Donnie. They have "young faces." Jackie couldn't.... he never really had a young face even when he was young. Besides... look what they did with Shaft in Captain Marvel.

Donnie yen in 2017
330px-Dy_wikipedia.jpg

"Iceman: The Time Traveller" just came out last year. Put a red headband on him & you got your Shang chi
iu
Its in their faces, he looked old in rogue One at least
Give it to Rain, he looked good in Ninja Assassin, or Tom Wu from the Marco Polo show

Last edited:
I'm sure Bat Affleck could pull off being Chinese as well as he pulled off being Messican in Argo.

They should just CGI superhero outfits on everyone in The Raid and rebrand it as this

Back