Sherbros, I need some advise - job offer on the table

I hire people all the time that have a resume full of startup jobs they lost because the company went under.

Startups are super risky. You usually have to work your ass off. There's always at least one ego driven asshole above you that doesn't behave in a professional manner. Also, that salary they promise you, but won't tell you how much? Yeah that'll never happen. It's not that they're lying, it's that they honestly believe they'll hit the big time and be able to pay you that salary, but they are optimists, when in business sometimes you need to be a realist.

The fact that you don't understand the business model is a huge red flag. You assume you don't understand it because you're too dumb, but what if you're not? What if nobody understands it and it's like the emperor's new clothes?

At the very least call them up and ask a few questions about the business model until you understand it. Because otherwise this place sounds like every other failed startup our there

Perfect response imo

I hire people all the time that have a resume full of startup jobs they lost because the company went under.

Startups are super risky. You usually have to work your ass off. There's always at least one ego driven asshole above you that doesn't behave in a professional manner. Also, that salary they promise you, but won't tell you how much? Yeah that'll never happen. It's not that they're lying, it's that they honestly believe they'll hit the big time and be able to pay you that salary, but they are optimists, when in business sometimes you need to be a realist.

The fact that you don't understand the business model is a huge red flag. You assume you don't understand it because you're too dumb, but what if you're not? What if nobody understands it and it's like the emperor's new clothes?

At the very least call them up and ask a few questions about the business model until you understand it. Because otherwise this place sounds like every other failed startup our there
Based on my experience, this is very good advice. Also, I've never known anyone to take a reduced start-up salary without at least some discounted stock options and emerge happy with the outcome. Also, be mindful of your specific situation. My area's unemployment is under 4%, which supports taking a risky opportunity, but at my age I can't afford to lose my ass on a gamble. Be honest with yourself, and best of luck.

Very valid points. It's not that I don't understand the business model. I do understand it. I'm just not sure of the long term viability of it as it's a serving a niche community that I am not apart of.
Can I ask what would be the harm in naming the company? Or at least giving us enough hints that we could figure it out?

It seems like a lot of this decision rests upon your confidence in the company success. So if we knew more then we could probably give you better insight.

If you really need a change, it could be worth it, but you shouldn't go anywhere without specific numbers defined for any salary or bonus they're discussing when you sign on. I don't like the idea of a training salary, that seems sketchy to start with, but you shouldn't take job unless they tell you exactly how much your salary will be after 6 months, and any requirements both within and beyond your control that will determine if your salary goes up.

Sounds like a big risk. Personally, I wouldnt do it. It sounds like your current job is stable and not too bad.

Depends how bad you want change

You’ll be making the same as you already are. In 6 months you’ll make more, but you don’t know how much more.

So the only risk is whether or not, during the next 6 months or more, the company will go under? If they do, you can find another job. Taking this job will only make you more marketable in the future. I don’t see why it seems so high-risk to you. But maybe I didn’t read the OP carefully enough.
You may have glossed over the part where he's been looking for a while. At least he has a job while looking for a good fit. If he takes this one and it fails, he's going to be looking while unemployed. And I doubt failed start ups offer much of a severance package.

Can I ask what would be the harm in naming the company? Or at least giving us enough hints that we could figure it out?

It seems like a lot of this decision rests upon your confidence in the company success. So if we knew more then we could probably give you better insight.

I pm'd you with more details. As there is a component of the business that would have some cross over here (hint, hint), I don't want to put it out publicly.

You may have glossed over the part where he's been looking for a while. At least he has a job while looking for a good fit. If he takes this one and it fails, he's going to be looking while unemployed. And I doubt failed start ups offer much of a severance package.

Bingo. I've had job offers in the time period but none that made sense financially. I even had 2 interviews where they brought me in and immediately started discussing salary because they thought I was going to be too expensive and they didn't want to waste time. In both instances, they were correct. They could have done that over the phone and not made me take time off from work but that's another discussion.

Thats sometimes one of the biggest red flags. New companies love to dump money into these "cool" offices and end up spending way too much. One company I worked for before expanded their offices and did a bunch of construction. Guess what? No bonuses all of a sudden. Less "cool" offerings.

The more you mention, the more it sounds like a typical startup. If a friend didnt bring you in or something like that with a personal connection, I would walk away right now.

Putting money into the facility is necessary though. It's not an office space. It's a space where customers will come to utilize the space for varying reasons as they are offering multiple services. If it were just a warehouse, it would be less attractive to the customer. Hope that makes sense without being too cryptic.

If you're concerned about maintaining your lifestyle, a startup with no guarantee of salary isn't a wise choice.

The only issue I would have is the promise of paying you in 6 months. Is that going to be in a contract? I would not just trust some company to keep their word on that.

Back