SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 103 movie!

Sherdog Movie Club: Let's pick the Week 103 movie!

• A Dark Song

• The Ritual

• Gerald's Game

• The Devil's Candy

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why do you say that protestants don't acknowledge exorcism? The Bible says that Jesus and his disciples cast out demons.

I grew up in the Baptist church and we always acknowledged the existence of demonic possession as well as the Christian's ability to cast out demons.

Damit! There are to many damn protestant churces to keep track of what all of them think.:mad:

Anyways, I read that in some academic article about the film. I didn't really remember which churces it specified so I just slapped the protestant label on there to be generic.

I can't really think of any great movie theater experiences right now.

The one that really come to mind for me is Fellowship of the Ring. Not because of the crowd or anything like that, but just because I was SO FUCKING INTO the movie that it was almost like a transcendent experience. Even after I left the theater, there was like this afterglow that hung around for a couple of hours. I remember walking around the mall with my dad doing some Christmas shopping and being in such a good mood. It was a magical experience.

That movie looks disturbing. If you do watch it then I'll be curious to hear your thoughts.

I want to see all 4 of those films so I'll probably end up watching A Dark Song tonight or tomorrow night. I'll mention it to you either here or in the next discussion thread. I gotta be careful, I have a "dumb motherfuckers" post with my hand hovering over "post reply" waiting for this poll to close. It never, ever ceases to amaze me how my 4th place never fails to win. Its gdamned ridiculous how good this club is at picking my 4th choice when my week rolls around. Its not that I don't want to see it, its just unexpected when it happens so much.

I gotta be careful, I have a "dumb motherfuckers" post with my hand hovering over "post reply" waiting for this poll to close. It never, ever ceases to amaze me how my 4th place never fails to win. Its gdamned ridiculous how good this club is at picking my 4th choice when my week rolls around. Its not that I don't want to see it, its just unexpected when it happens so much.

LOL. I can kind of feel on you on that. I still would like to discuss My Kid Could Paint that with the Club but y'all failed to vote it in.

It appears that we have one vote outstanding and it would only take one to tie it up and force a round of Sudden Death.

@chickenluver where you at? We need you to vote so we can know if we're headed toward a tie-breaker or if we can go ahead and call this one.

Yes, chickenluver is going to come in and make the right choice...excellent.

th

Otherwise its...

th

What? More Norewgian movies? What's with the Movie Club these days? Are you people just trying to fuck up my sense of linguistics or something?:D

Didn't think the Dead Snow movies where all that good though.

Really? I thought they were fun. I liked how over-the-top they were.

giphy.gif

I'm not in the club but I voted for Devil's Candy just so I could see the poll results

It seems you really like that movie

I might have to check it out in my free time

No, that's not it. Each go around you get to nominate 4 films. The film that I generally think would be my 4th, or least want to watch, is the one the somehow almost always wins. In this case, I felt the 3 films that lost were all better choices than the film that won.

No, that's not it. Each go around you get to nominate 4 films. The film that I generally think would be my 4th, or least want to watch, is the one the somehow almost always wins. In this case, I felt the 3 films that lost were all better choices than the film that won.

If it's any consolation, your nominations have me on the verge of watching Gerald's Game right now.

The trailer doesn't do much for me, but I do like Stephen King so I'm thinking about just saying fuck it and pulling the trigger anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's any consolation, your nominations have me on verge of watching Gerald's Game right now.

The trailer doesn't do much for me, but I do like Stephen King so I'm thinking about just saying fuck it and pulling the trigger anyway.

Quite frankly I thought Gerald's Game would have ran away with it which is why I didn't vote for Gerald's Game. Cubo was on an island alone with that one. Gerald's Game scored a 77 on Metacritic which is pretty good for the horror genre which usually scores lower than other genre's. For some reason its easier to make a 77 Thriller than it is a 77 Horror. After that, I thought The Devil's Candy would take it and if all else fails, A Dark Song because its an interesting 2 character 1 room film about summoning the devil.

Nope, guys walking through the forest Blair Witch style runs away with it, banking 5 votes.

Quite frankly I thought Gerald's Game would have ran away with it which is why I didn't vote for Gerald's Game. Cubo was on an island alone with that one. Gerald's Game scored a 77 on Metacritic which is pretty good for the horror genre which usually scores lower than other genre's. For some reason its easier to make a 77 Thriller than it is a 77 Horror. After that, I thought The Devil's Candy would take it and if all else fails, A Dark Song because its an interesting 2 character 1 room film about summoning the devil.

Nope, guys walking through the forest Blair Witch style runs away with it, banking 5 votes.

This Club always is full of surprises, isn't it? If I had a dollar for every time a movie I thought had no chance to win actually pulled it off then I'd have at least enough money to finance my Netflix subscription for a month or two.

I have to ask, if you have so little interest in The Ritual, why did you even nominate it?

This Club always is full of surprises, isn't it? If I had a dollar for every time a movie I thought had no chance to win actually pulled it off then I'd have at least enough money to finance my Netflix subscription for a month or two.

I have to ask, if you have so little interest in The Ritual, why did you even nominate it?

I do have an interest in watching it, I just didn't picture it having this kind of power. Look at these meta scores for example.

Gerald's Game 77 (RT 90%)
The Devil's Candy 72 (RT 90%)
A Dark Song 71 (RT 91%)
The Ritual 57 (RT 70%)

And that's just kinda how we do shit around here.

I do have an interest in watching it, I just didn't picture it having this kind of power. Look at these meta scores for example.

Gerald's Game 77 (RT 90%)
The Devil's Candy 72 (RT 90%)
A Dark Song 71 (RT 91%)
The Ritual 57 (RT 70%)

And that's just kinda how we do shit around here.

Out of curiosity, do you usually check the films' scores before you vote each week?

Generally I'd attribute that to your movie that's least interesting being the one that most haven't seen. My vote is usually guided by the desire to watch something new. In this case though I get the sense most of us haven't seen most of these. So who knows? But I am bummed this won. I read enough about it to know to much and expect very little. Following up something as powerful as this week's film isn't gonna help it either. :eek::D

Out of curiosity, do you usually check the films' scores before you vote each week?

There are two things I always check. Run times for all 4 films, and scores across IMDb, Meta, and RT. It can be very helpful to know when you narrow it down to 2 films and one of them is universally a 48 across all 3 platforms and the other is a 78. When that many people agree you have to take that into account when selecting a film, at least I do. The Ritual was definitely the lowest of the four on all 3 rating sites.

Generally I'd attribute that to your movie that's least interesting being the one that most haven't seen. My vote is usually guided by the desire to watch something new. In this case though I get the sense most of us haven't seen most of these. So who knows? But I am bummed this won. I read enough about it to know to much and expect very little. Following up something as powerful as this week's film isn't gonna help it either. :eek::D

I'm watching A Dark Song right now and so far it appears.....quite dark.

There are two things I always check. Run times for all 4 films, and scores across IMDb, Meta, and RT. It can be very helpful to know when you narrow it down to 2 films and one of them is universally a 48 across all 3 platforms and the other is a 78. When that many people agree you have to take that into account when selecting a film, at least I do. The Ritual was definitely the lowest of the four on all 3 rating sites.

Interesting. I don't think even once I have checked any kind of scores for Movie Club films before voting.

Back