SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 103 movie!

Sherdog Movie Club: Let's pick the Week 103 movie!

• A Dark Song

• The Ritual

• Gerald's Game

• The Devil's Candy

Results are only viewable after voting.
Indeed. I looked up the audience reviews on RT for A Dark Song and one said this:

So when I read that, I was pretty much busting one of these:

giphy.gif

In any case, that's two of the four movies down, neither of which we were particularly enthusiastic about.

I would be curious about your reaction to Gerald's Game, though. It would be interesting to see if you enjoy it more than I did.

Yea you can't trust that post because the masturbation scene was kinda funny in the end, at least to me. You couldn't see the guy, so thankfully the viewer was spared. She thought it was part of the ritual and as it turned out he just wanted to jack it. Anyway, the reason why I turned on it is because the first half was done very well, it had an intense sense of dread building and then the director just said fuck it and went a ridiculous direction. I can't really say what, I don't want to post big spoilers.

I'll take your word on Gerald's Game and instead probably watch The Devil's Candy tonight. I really need to know which of these four movies is the best.

Yea you can't trust that post because the masturbation scene was kinda funny in the end, at least to me. You couldn't see the guy, so thankfully the viewer was spared. She thought it was part of the ritual and as it turned out he just wanted to jack it. Anyway, the reason why I turned on it is because the first half was done very well, it had an intense sense of dread building and then the director just said fuck it and went a ridiculous direction. I can't really say what, I don't want to post big spoilers.

I'll take your word on Gerald's Game and instead probably watch The Devil's Candy tonight. I really need to know which of these four movies is the best.

Indeed. Well I will look forward to hearing your take on The Devil's Candy.

I actually might watch all of these movies this weekend if I have the time.

Wow did MusterX play some Jedi mindtrick on you guys so to make you watch all of his movi.... droids you're looking for.

Damn man, I knew you loved Frankenstein but I didn't know that you loved it THAT much. As I've mentioned, I'm much more in the Dracula and Mummy camp when it comes to the Universal stuff.
It could really be tied for the no. 1 spot. It's probably my favorite Old Hollywood film. Something about Colin Clive and Boris Karloff, and the way everything is played so straight (except for Baron Frankenstein). I was really disappointed with Bride of Frankenstein, the campiness turned me off.

I thought Dracula was boring, but it's been around 10 years since the one and only time I saw it. Never did see The Mummy, The Wolfman, or any other Universal monster movie.

I was really disappointed with Bride of Frankenstein, the campiness turned me off.

Yeah. The campiness really undermined that one. Like those can-sized humans, remembered them? So bad. But most of the Frank-Stein stuff was really good and -- I thought -- saved the overall film.

tenor.gif

Yeah. The campiness really undermined that one. Like those can-sized humans, remembered them? So bad.
I thought those were kind of cool, but they didn't have anything to do with the rest of the movie. Mostly for me it was that I was super high on the first one, knew the sequel had a reputation as a a classic, but it went in a direction I didn't expect or like. I was also really sad that the actual Bride is only in the last few minutes and doesn't do anything.

Although I want to watch it again. I think I would really like it if I watched it already knowing what to expect.

haha that clip looks like it could be from Young Frankenstein.

I'd be curious to get your opinion on Gerald's Game since I just watched it last night.

I just watched the ritual last night. Might watch this one next. Did you like it?

I was actually having a conversation yesterday about how I'd never let anyone handcuff me to a bed because I've seen too many movies where guys get drugged, robbed, and left there naked lol. Gerald's Game seems a lot worse than that.

I just watched the ritual last night. Might watch this one next. Did you like it?

I was actually having a conversation yesterday about how I'd never let anyone handcuff me to a bed because I've seen too many movies where guys get drugged, robbed, and left there naked lol. Gerald's Game seems a lot worse than that.

Some thoughts I left about Gerald's Game earlier in the thread:

It was okay. I didn't love it.

The story is essentially that of a woman coming to terms with a particular childhood trauma that she experienced. My biggest issue is that for much of the film it simply feels like not a lot is happening.

It's bolstered by Gugino's superb performance, but that was not enough to keep me from getting bored at about the 45 minute mark and really feeling like I was having to dig in and power through at about the 1:15 mark.

For most of the film I felt like I was watching about a 6/10, but I thought it wrapped up in a fairly satisfying way in the last 20 minutes, so I guess a 6.5 seems appropriate.

Funny you ask because for a while I didn't really consider The Shining a horror film. But I think it ends up in horror via the process of elimination.

It has too many genre elements to just be classified in the broad "drama" category. In my view, that basically leaves "thriller" and "horror" as the only two suitable genres for it, and the supernatural elements push it into the horror realm.

When I think about THE genre that a film ultimately belongs to, I put it to the "video store test." That is, if I worked in a video store, where would I place this movie? When a film incorporates elements of different genres, you have to make a decision. What elements are the most prominent and form the core of the story?

For Alien, if I had to make that choice, I'd put it in the sci-fi section. Because, yes, there are horror elements, but it's ultimately the story of a crew on a spaceship interacting with an alien life form. That is science fiction.
The majority of the scenes are in the confines of the spaceship. They wake up, pull over for a quick stop, and spend the rest of the movie getting brutally murdered. It doesn't spend much time showing off spaceship technology, or the mechanics of navigating space, or presenting awesome galactic views. Prometheus has more of a sci-fi feel than Alien.

But, everything is subjective to some extent, and to each their own.

The majority of the scenes are in the confines of the spaceship. They wake up, pull over for a quick stop, and spend the rest of the movie getting brutally murdered. It doesn't spend much time showing off spaceship technology, or the mechanics of navigating space, or presenting awesome galactic views. Prometheus has more of a sci-fi feel than Alien.

But, everything is subjective to some extent, and to each their own.

I may make a thread about this to see what the consensus opinion is.

The obvious answer is that it is a hybrid. A sci fi-horror. Why must we debate it as if it could belong to only one genre? What purpose or knowlage could that possibly grant us? Its a reductivistic viewpoint. Films do not work that way. Genres are just description.

Back