SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 115 Movie!

Let's pick the week 115 Movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've always thought the first movie was the funniest, The One-Armed Boxer

giphy.gif
First one is absolutely a great movie too! I just think that the pragmatic yet sadistic no nonsense attitude of the main character is even more evident in the sequel AND there's that awesome martial arts tournament to the death AND naturally the blind but ruthless flying guillotine expert too. But I've seen the first one only once looong time ago, so I could change my mind yet.

341bfc0c5e2b52bc3da418050d03ea1d--the-room-lord.jpg

People talk like Skeletor is the GOAT skeleton-actor out there but those two movies feature the two best Skeleton performances of all time.

giphy.gif

XM3v.gif

hqdefault.jpg

<mma4>

I've always thought the first movie was the funniest, The One-Armed Boxer

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Got to give the movie credit, it delivers on what the title promises.
One armed boxer added to my queue! Thanks, looks amazing!

One armed boxer added to my queue! Thanks, looks amazing!

Np!

Also, the Japanese fighters literally have vampire fangs in that movie (cuz Japan, see!).

PDVD_027_aeaaeebf3b00764024b109edb92ac0bc.jpg

I've actually urged Chickenluver to do a One-Armed martial arts theme for his Week on multiple occasions! Of course, now that I am Club President, I no longer have to ask but can just strongarm him into it.:cool:

15 out of 18 members have cast their ballot. There are still 3 votes left to be dished out!

One of those who voted was a non-member.

5. C.H.U.D. (1984)
CHUD.jpg

4. Night of the Comet (1984)
th

3. Kentucky Fried Movie (1977)
%2528JamieF-TD%2529__KentuckyFriedMovie%25281%2529.jpg

2. Re-Animator (1985)
poster-re-animator.jpg

1. Death Race 2000 (1975)
DEATH-RACE-2000.jpg

Ohhh, Reanimator is definitely on my Honorable Mention list. Good call.

5. C.H.U.D. (1984)
CHUD.jpg

4. Night of the Comet (1984)
th

2. Re-Animator (1985)
poster-re-animator.jpg

1. Death Race 2000 (1975)
DEATH-RACE-2000.jpg

Great list, minus the cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers. :eek::D

I'll be honest. No idea what to think of that link. But I'm impressed with how fast this .gif emerged. :D
Hah, just someting I stumbled upon while ago and thought it was funny, because I didn't know that Chud were a real thing/legend in Russian folklore. They are a race/group of Finnic peoples. "In Russian folk legends, the Chudes were described as exalted and beautiful." "Folk etymology derives the word from Old East Slavic language (chuzhoi, 'foreign'; or chudnoi 'odd'; or chud 'weird'), or alternatively from chudnyi, wonderful, miraculous, excellent, attractive." Very uplifting for a Finn. Much more so that those foul creatures in 1984 movie!!! Legend says, that when faced by Slavic invaders Chud dug holes on ground which the collapsed on themselves on purpose to avoid cruelty of those barbarians. Other legends say, that Chuds just moved to live underground where they still live harmoniously among precious metals and noble beasts.

Roerich's painting is the only visual representation I've found along 1984 movie.

5. C.H.U.D. (1984)
CHUD.jpg

giphy.gif

One of my favorite Simpson jokes ever.

Except for the 30-minutes long Enter the Dragon parody, I actually didn't think Kentucky Fried Movie was all that good.

The movie has things to say about Detroit though.

Hah, just someting I stumbled upon while ago and thought it was funny, because I didn't know that Chud were a real thing/legend in Russian folklore. They are a race/group of Finnic peoples.

Whao I know who the Chuds were but I never knew they were supposed to represent the Finns.:confused:

I guess this is fair compensation for that Sampo movie the Russians made.:D

(To be honest, I think it's pretty okay but everyone else seems to hate it)

MV5BNDg4ZjFiZDEtMDdiMi00YmI2LWExYjAtNWMzMTI5ZjkxNjEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxMzMzMzE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Whao I know who the Chuds were but I never knew they were supposed to represent the Finns.:confused:
Damn, I had no idea about Chud myth until I saw that painting.

MV5BNDg4ZjFiZDEtMDdiMi00YmI2LWExYjAtNWMzMTI5ZjkxNjEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxMzMzMzE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
Sampo was a Soviet-Finnish co-production at some degree. I think it's awesome as is pretty much everything Alexandr Ptushko made. His first color movie Stone Flower is btw actually about encounters with an immortal queen who rules the underground realms inside mountains. Who knows, she could be of Chud blood. A really beautiful and eerie movie.

Great list, minus the cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers. :eek::D

Back in the 80's I had this friend that would go to Blockbuster or some other local video store and go through hundreds of VHS tapes looking for crazy B-Movies so when this poll came up I thought of him and all the crazy B-Movies we watched. C.H.U.D. was one of them. I'm talking about true B-Movies like Basket Case from 1982.

basket-case-movie-poster-1982-1020197245.jpg

I don't consider movies like They Live as B-Movies, not that one anyway. It has honorarily been lifted from such low status because its a film that remains relevant decade after decade. I don't consider Reservoir Dogs a B-Movie.

I had honorable mentions of Mazes and Monsters (1982) with Tom Hanks and The Blob (1988).

Ah, I always forget about these lists. You guys have already made some pretty good ones. It's always hard for me to distinguish what gets called a B-Movie. In my mind, a movie that uses exploitation, such as violence, is considered a B-Movie, right? So, is RoboCop a B movie? Are all gory horror films B-movies? I don't know.

5) Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
4) Night of the Living Dead
3) Dawn of the Dead
2) Evil Dead 2
1) Army of Darkness

Honorable mentions/and movies that may be considered B-movies: Halloween, Death Race 2000, Hell Comes to Frogtown, Braindead, Return of the Living Dead, RoboCop, TheThing, Terminator, Maniac, Maniac Cop, Intruder, They Live, Critters, The Final Sacrifice (MST3K Version), Bloodsucking Pharaohs in Pittsburgh, and many others that I'm forgetting right now.

giphy.gif

One of my favorite Simpson jokes ever.

Except for the 30-minutes long Enter the Dragon parody, I actually didn't think Kentucky Fried Movie was all that good.

The movie has things to say about Detroit though.

The CHUD joke on the Simpson's is hilarious. I remember first seeing it and think, holy shit, a CHUD reference!

The Detroit clip cracks me up because I knew a guy that went to see his father in Detroit, took another one of our friends along with him and they ended up sleeping in a car for 3 days before they could figure out how to get out of Detroit alive. His drug addict father stole all their money and hauled ass. He described night time as being like the film, The Warriors. This is not even modern Detroit, I'm talking it was already that bad around 1988-1990ish. So anytime I see something about Detroit like that clip you posted from Kentucky Fried Movie, its hilarious to me.

Honorable mentions/and movies that may be considered B-movies: Halloween, Death Race 2000, Hell Comes to Frogtown, Braindead, Return of the Living Dead, RoboCop, TheThing, Terminator, Maniac, Maniac Cop, Intruder, They Live, Critters, The Final Sacrifice (MST3K Version), Bloodsucking Pharaohs in Pittsburgh, and many others that I'm forgetting right now.

Most people don't even know what a real B-Movie is. They originally started as a companion to the main attraction in a double feature. Yes, people used to go see double features.

B-mov·ie
[ˈbēˌmo͞ovē]
NOUN
B-movies (plural noun)
  1. a low-budget movie, especially (formerly) one made for use as a companion to the main attraction in a double feature.
    "a B-movie actress"

So movies like The Thing would be excluded because it had a budget of 20 million dollars.

Back