SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 120 movie!

Let's pick the week 120 Movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

2fxpq1.jpg

The FNC speaks!
Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been active in this group. I've had some personal problems going on. Bad anxiety among other issues, but I'm committed to SMC going forward. I apologize again for being a flake. Thanks for allowing me to stick around! :)

I've always loved the movies I've seen from Stanley Kubrick. One of these I've never seen. One of them I remember watching when I was younger but I don't really remember it. Looking to dive deeper into the world of Kubrick.​

So save an apocalypse... we're watching our third Kubrick flick in this club! Ah who am I kidding, not even an apocalypse can stop us now!

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Director: Stanley Kubrick

Stars: Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, William Sylvester

Premise: Humanity finds a mysterious, obviously artificial object buried beneath the Lunar surface and, with the intelligent computer HAL 9000, sets off on a quest.

The Shining (1980)

Stars: Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, Danny Lloyd

Premise: A family heads to an isolated hotel for the winter where an evil spiritual presence influences the father into violence, while his psychic son sees horrific forebodings from the past and of the future.

Full Metal Jacket (1987)

Stars: Matthew Modine, R. Lee Ermey, Vincent D'Onofrio

Premise: A pragmatic U.S. Marine observes the dehumanizing effects the Vietnam War has on his fellow recruits from their brutal boot camp training to the bloody street fighting in Hue.

Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

Stars: Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Todd Field

Premise: A New York City doctor, who is married to an art curator, pushes himself on a harrowing and dangerous night-long odyssey of sexual and moral discovery after his wife admits that she once almost cheated on him.

FrontNakedChoke's Top Theme for this Week is "Top 5 Stephen King Movies" (his other potential theme)

Wow. No clue how to vote here.

• Pet Sematary
  • Stand By Me
  • Misery
  • The Running Man
  • Silver Bullet

Top-5 movies to capture the essence of Stephen King:
Dreamcatcher
Misery
Stand by Me
Pet Sematary
Carrie

This is tough.

I’m at work and can’t put the thought necessary into a top 5 right now but one that seems to be overlooked is the mini series Storm of the Century. I really enjoyed it.

maxresdefault.jpg

I've watched three of the four within the past year, so this was an easy pick.

And as for top five Stephen Kings, I'm going to include all adaptations of his works.

1) The Shining
2) Shawshank Redemption
3) Misery
4) The Running Man
5) Green Mile

Honorable Mention: Pet Sematary, Carrie (original), and The Dead Zone. Also give it up for the TV miniseries The Langoliers.
Dishonorable Mention: Stand by Me, Lawnmower Man and the worst CGI ever, and Secret Window and the terrible tragedy of Johnny Depp trying to act.

Have only saw 'The Shining' so I picked this, all the others are super old lol

1) The Shining (by a country mile)
2) Misery
3) Carrie
4) Running Man
5) Green Mile/Shawshank

the others are super old lol

We have a rule of not stating what we voted for until the voting is over, so that the voting is anonymous.

I've watched three of the four within the past year, so this was an easy pick.

All but one of these films I've seen like... easily over 5 times. I don't think I've watched the Nominations of any week as much as these ones.

Top-5 movies to capture the essence of Stephen King:

What would you define the essence of King though? Besides being garishly overwritten, I mean? I think his most natural talent seems to be the ability of integrating supernatural phenomenon with otherwise mundane, or worldy settings, events or stories.

This is tough.

I’m at work and can’t put the thought necessary into a top 5 right now but one that seems to be overlooked is the mini series Storm of the Century. I really enjoyed it.

It scared the Bejesus out of me as a kid. No idea if it holds up however.

hqdefault.jpg

What would you define the essence of King though? Besides being garishly overwritten, I mean? I think his most natural talent seems to be the ability of integrating supernatural phenomenon with otherwise mundane, or worldy settings, events or stories.
I used to read a lot of King as a teenager but not since, so I’m going by distand memory here. I stopped when The Stand came out and the whole phenomenon got out of hands. At best he used to be good at dwelling in embarrasment, disgust, obsession and supernatural terror I suppose.

This is tough.

maxresdefault.jpg
Colm Feore with some masterful scenery chewing. A fine choice.

<DCWhoa>

The Shining
Misery
Shawshank
The Green Mile
The Running Man

Yeah, he's good at shifting between those things, like parallel universes bleeding into each other.

But, imo, King's best asset is his knack for writing interesting and flawed characters in a way that rings true.

Top 5:
The Shining
Misery
Shawshank
IT (original)
Carrie (original)

Wow. No clue how to vote here.
I'll take that as a compliment.

<OKC16>
And as for top five Stephen Kings, I'm going to include all adaptations of his works.
I meant to mention that that's what I meant in the OP.

Dishonorable Mention: Secret Window and the terrible tragedy of Johnny Depp trying to act.
I actually like that movie. :oops:

1) The Shining (by a country mile)
The Shining always stuck with me.

DAMN! The vote was a slam dunk in an unexpected direction! Boom goes the dynamite.

It's the only one I want to watch again but didn't want to vote for. Weird. Yeah.

All but one of these films I've seen like... easily over 5 times. I don't think I've watched the Nominations of any week as much as these ones.
Yeah I've seen these all plenty of times. I think the one winning could lead to some very intriguing discussion, I'm curious the direction it will take.

And as for the week I've seen all of the films the most times, this is probably in the top three.

My Badass Action Movie week with Hard Boiled, The Raid, Die Hard, Commando and Rocky IV is easily my most watched week.

Other frequent watched weeks include...
Vertigo, Life of Brian, 2001 A Space Odyssey, and High Anxiety
North by Northwest, Dial M for Murder, The Wrong Man, and Rope
The Room, Manos Hands of Fate, Plan 9, and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Halloween, Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Friday the 13th
Last Exit to Brooklyn, Clockwork Orange, Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer, and Blue Velvet

Last Exit to Brooklyn, Clockwork Orange, Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer, and Blue Velvet

Maybe I like you more than I thought.

What was your pick there? Asking for a lazy friend who doesn't want to go back and look it up.

Back