SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 129 movie!

Let's pick the week 129 Movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't know either of these choices, but they sound like fun. But I cannot participate because my laptop still isn't working. Will have to catch up!

giphy.gif

vKCcrLv.jpg

for clarification, if the drinking part does not apply to you, the general idea remains the same: What films do you enjoy watching w/ friends? some films/type of films just seem to work better in group settings or w/ a friend, yaknow? w/ the exception of one friend, I’m not going to sit down & plop my new bluray copy of Andrei Rublev into the bluray player to watch w/ some peeps.

if you’d like, you could even do something like: “Top 5 movie suggestions to watch drunk w/ friends”
the theme can be malleable

I still don't really have anything to contribute. I prefer watching movies alone anyway, and the only exception to that is one friend of mine who is more like your Andrei Rublev exception friend. Broadly speaking, though, I'd imagine that comedies would be best to watch in a group, particularly a drunk group. I'm thinking specifically of silly stuff like Kung Pow!, the Scary Movie franchise, Not Another Teen Movie, Orgazmo, BASEketball, Anchorman, and other stuff like that.

It might be tricky to get our hands on some of these films to watch them, unless they're already on a service like Netflicks. It's tough enough getting my hands on Cinderella Man, I have it on DVD but the bin that holds my DVDs is in storage far away from me.

Top 5 movies to watch drunk with friends, a much easier category for me than some other squares up in here:

1) Honestly I could put several Broken Lizard pictures but I'll use a copout and go with Beerfest
2) The Room, done it many times with many different people and it's always a riot
3) Ghostbusters, we all know the lines and we all laugh at the jokes
4) Jackass, any of them
5) Boondock Saints, perfect movie to make a drinking game out of - kills, profanity, religious stuff: drink

HM, just one: Oldboy (2003) - There's a reason for this one. I introduced this movie to some buddies who I had over for a manly movie night (a weekly event I threw to rave reviews, as I described it "movies that will put hair on your teeth"), and I mistakenly confused it for Danny the Dog/Unleashed, the Jet Li action movie where he's chained up like a dog and fights people for Mario. I advertised it to all of them as a crazy action romp with awesome fight scenes, the whole nine yards. There were several times throughout the picture that they stopped and looked at me and went "I thought this was supposed to be a crazy action movie, it's just sad, dude". We were so bummed out. The hammer scene was still awesome but they were not prepared for what they saw that night.

Yojimbo's Top 5 movies to watch drunk with friends:

1) beerfest
2) super troopers (yeah I know, same guys)
3) fear and loathing in las vegas
4) the room - because, drinking game
5) the hangover

Well done. I’m on bit of a Ferrara binge and wouldn’t mind at all watching DK again with commentary.
awesome. Ferrara is definitely ery love or hate, at least among cinephiles it seems. I tend to fall in the former, but he definitely has a few stinkers, but is normal.

which has been your favorite from the binge?

Glad you didn't! Might have fucked up my next theme. :eek:
giphy.gif

It might be tricky to get our hands on some of these films to watch them, unless they're already on a service like Netflicks. It's tough enough getting my hands on Cinderella Man, I have it on DVD but the bin that holds my DVDs is in storage far away from me
I’m pretty sure all four films are available to rent on the various streaming services like Amazon, iTunes, etc. Perhaps even on a subscription service like Shudder, which offers a free trial to new users.

some of them might also be on Youtube. I know at least one of them is, but I didn’t check all of them.

I'm outta this week's poll since I don't have friends to watch movies with. :oops:

For what it's worth, I don't like watching movies with friends. It gets awkward when they don't shut up during the movie.....

I don't drink either. My blood consists of about 40% Coca-Cola though.

Ironically, drinking would probably make you healthier :) You know what they say about French health v American. The French drink wine and the Americans coke. Just saying....

The Carrier
Devil’s Rain
Evil Dead
Idi Amin Dada
And most movies by the Finnish comedy genius Visa Mäkinen.

For what it's worth, I don't like watching movies with friends. It gets awkward when they don't shut up during the movie.....
I mostly like watching movies by myself. I used to have movie nights with three history buffs. One of them had ADHD and he just wouldn't stop talking unless the movie was really good. That was awkward for the two other guys, so I dropped them from the crew and now I can watch boring but interesting movies with him. Once we did the Soviet made 3 hour war movie Battle of Stalingrad with him and it was a breeze. And if we actually decide on something that's very good he'll watch bug-eyed. Having ADHD can be a gift.

awesome. Ferrara is definitely ery love or hate, at least among cinephiles it seems. I tend to fall in the former, but he definitely has a few stinkers, but is normal.

which has been your favorite from the binge?
Hah, I was actually on the fence about Ferrara until I saw Driller Killer again and remembered, that I love almost every movie I've seen from him. Then I saw Ms. 45 last Saturday (still a masterpiece) and there was Ferrara's interview on the blu-ray which filled me with admiration for this loonie and I decided that I need to keep going with his filmography. Just got my hands on King of New York bd and after that it'll be Addiction and Dangerous Game (I haven't seen either). Maybe rewatches of Funeral, Blackout and Welcome to New York after that. And oh yeah, I did watch Ferrara's Miami Vice episode Home Invaders earlier this week.

Last edited:
3) fear and loathing in las vegas

Watched that one with a group. Personally, I wasn't into it. Nothing like being sober and watching people high on drugs. But everyone else appeared disappointed that the "This is Bat Country" line came so early in the movie. It's like they all showed up just for that meme!

It might be tricky to get our hands on some of these films to watch them,

Found 3 of them at Youtube (in various quality)

Ironically, drinking would probably make you healthier :) You know what they say about French health v American. The French drink wine and the Americans coke. Just saying....

I'm right smack in the Vodka belt, Tufts! Be careful of what you're saying. I'd probably end up like this.

kalsarikc3a4nnit.jpg

Devil’s Rain

Devil's Rain? Wouldn't have thought about that one. Mostly I just remember it being somewhat of a lost potential. That 11-minute face-melting scene must be a riot when drunk.:eek:

Evil Dead

That's a good one! Really works in a group.

Having recommended it, I got some askance looks during the three-scene.

Ms. 45 last Saturday (still a masterpiece)

The first movie I ever recommended for the SMC (didn't get picked up though). It was for the first week, when everyone got to nominate something and we just went with 5 that caught the President's eye.

tumblr_n06eduam961r4zr8xo2_r3_500.gif

Just got my hands on King of New York

Really never liked King of New York. The interactions between Walken and Fishburne just doesn't work for me.

I'm right smack in the Vodka belt, Tufts! Be careful of what you're saying. I'd probably end up like this.

kalsarikc3a4nnit.jpg
Hah, naturally I’m into kalsarikännit movie nights, but could be bad mojo west of Finland.

Devil's Rain? Wouldn't have thought about that one. Mostly I just remember it being somewhat of a lost potential. That 11-minute face-melting scene must be a riot when drunk.:eek:
Ride with the Devil is kindergarden stuff compared to Devil’s Rain. 100% southern devil worship madness!

The first movie I ever recommended for the SMC (didn't get picked up though). It was for the first week, when everyone got to nominate something and we just went with 5 that caught the President's eye.
<RomeroSalute>
This is probably why I’m SMC regular compared to having written excactly one message for Criterion.com forum’s movie club.

Really never liked King of New York. The interactions between Walken and Fishburne just doesn't work for me.
I didn’t like it either when I saw it long time ago, but I feel like I own it a second chance. At least the bd has tons of extras with Ferrara.

Last edited:
feel like my alcoholic is showing because I’m having drinks when watching movies like 9 times out of 10 lol. anyways, gonna kinda cheat my way through a top “five” movies for the theme. no particular order:

- Crank & Crank 2: High Voltage double feature
- Bloodsport (or any JCVD vehicle from the 80s & 90s)
- The Room
- Fateful Findings & Double Down or Pass Thru double feature (especially great if there is at least one person ignorant to Neil Breen)
- Miami Connection

HM:
- The Greasy Strangler (definitely need to know your audience)
- Barry Lyndon (sounds crazy, I know, but if you’re having some drinks w/ somebody/people who have seen already Barry Lyndon, it is a fuck ton of fun to watch while you’re a little sauced)

this is why I feel like there is a specific subset of movies that are good for watching w/ people who aren’t as serious about movies as you are. I typically go for movies that encourage commentary while watching.

Hah, I was actually on the fence about Ferrara until I saw Driller Killer again and remembered, that I love almost every movie I've seen from him. Then I saw Ms. 45 last Saturday (still a masterpiece) and there was Ferrara's interview on the blu-ray which filled me with admiration for this loonie and I decided that I need to keep going with his filmography. Just got my hands on King of New York bd and after that it'll be Addiction and Dangerous Game (I haven't seen either). Maybe rewatches of Funeral, Blackout and Welcome to New York after that. And oh yeah, I did watch Ferrara's Miami Vice episode Home Invaders earlier this week.
Ms. 45 is a goddamn blessing. wasn’t aware that there is a bluray out there, so I’m gonna have to go ahead & pick that one up. I did just buy The Driller Killer blu recently though. looking forward to watching the special features on that one, win or lose, since I plan on marathoning all four of my picks this weekend.

We Have A Winner!

Drillerkillerposter.jpg

Well, this is it! HenryFlower's shameless craving for bloodshed and cruelty has finally pushed us towards a moral event horizon from which we will never recover. Because of his limitless depravity, we're now set to watch some decadent 42nd Street Flick about a man who kills people with a power drill. Even her Majesty's Government banned this piece for its gruesome obscenity! I want you all to think about how totally awesome this is! what a sick mind could possibly have created such a film... and made it a comedy no less!

We previously watched Abel Ferrar back in weak 70 when we watched Bad Lieutenant. This is his debut film.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @Coolthulu @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @moreorless87 @ArtemV @Bullitt68 @GSPSAKU @HenryFlower @Rimbaud82 @Deus Ex Machina

Last edited:
It definitely looks like the best of those films anyway and I'v often heard its a lot more interesting than its video nasty premise makes it seem.

I'm a little surprised it was that close.

Yeah. I just assumed it would be an auto-win for Driller Killer due to Ferrar's oeuvre and name-value. But it was a 5-4-3-3 split. If Cecil Peoples were scoring our voting, anyone of those movies could have won!

Last edited:
Back