SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 94 movie!

Cycle 6 / Week 8: Pick the movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Guestx

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info.

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

@Cubo de Sangre's theme:

A bit of the ultra-violence and some of the old in-out.

Here are our candidates!

A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Director: Stanley Kubrick

Stars: Malcolm McDowell, Patrick Magee, Michael Bates

Premise: In the future, a sadistic gang leader is imprisoned and volunteers for a conduct-aversion experiment, but it doesn't go as planned.

Why @Cubo de Sangre picked it: Because it's the GOAT film. Art meets rape and murder, set to a classical score. The perfect melding of low and highbrow. If you haven't seen it then this is the film to vote for here.

Trailer:

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)

Director: John McNaughton

Stars: Michael Rooker, Tracy Arnold, Tom Towles

Premise: Henry, a drifter, commits a series of brutal murders, supposedly operating with impunity.

Why @Cubo de Sangre picked it: Because it has Michael Rooker doing a scary job of bringing the character to life and they don't waste time having some other character trying to catch him. Just two sick fucks (Henry and his partner Otis) doing what they do.

Trailer:

Blue Velvet (1986)

Director: David Lynch

Stars: Isabella Rossellini, Kyle MacLachlan, Dennis Hopper

Premise: The discovery of a severed human ear found in a field leads a young man on an investigation related to a beautiful, mysterious nightclub singer and a group of psychopathic criminals who have kidnapped her child.

Why @Cubo de Sangre picked it: Because Dennis Hopper. When I think of him this is what comes to mind. One of the most riveting and unsettling supporting performances you'll see.

Trailer:

Last Exit to Brooklyn (1989)

Director: Uli Edel

Stars: Jennifer Jason Leigh, Stephen Lang, Burt Young

Premise: Set in Brooklyn during the 1950s against a backdrop of union corruption and violence. A prostitute falls in love with one of her customers. Also a disturbed man discovers that he is homosexual.

Why @Cubo de Sangre picked it: Because it's gritty as fuck and hardly anyone has seen it or talks about it. Could have been a Paul Thomas Anderson film except for the fact I found it entertaining.

Trailer:

He also would like to present a theme song for this week:

7wGeEM5.jpg

Members: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @jeicex @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Caveat @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @chickenluver

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked Clockwork Orange cause I’ve never seen it.

And wow, had no idea Henry was that old of a movie. I saw it on cable years ago and actually liked it. One of those rare gems I’ve come across like that where I had no idea of the movie’s existence up until that point. Shattered Glass was another, even bought that one i liked it so much.

When I read that this weeks theme was Clockwork Orange and companion-pieces I was ready to bet my left testicle that Caligula was going to be in it... *sigh* Hope I don't bleed to death. Not sure what I would have guessed after that though... maybe that Sodom and Gomorra movie where God was played by a monkey with a John Wayne voice. Or maybe Myra Breckinridge, I guess? These are some pretty dark choices though.

Voting for the 1 film I haven't seen as is tradition.

And I will answer the question in the American Movie thread! I'm just to grumpy, disinterested and busy to prescently do so.

When I read that this weeks theme was Clockwork Orange and companion-pieces I was ready to bet my left testicle that Caligula was going to be in it... *sigh* Hope I don't bleed to death. Not sure what I would have guessed after that though... maybe that Sodom and Gomorra movie where God was played by a monkey with a John Wayne voice. Or maybe Myra Breckinridge, I guess? These are some pretty dark choices though.

Voting for the 1 film I haven't seen as is tradition.

And I will answer the question in the American Movie thread! I'm just to grumpy, disinterested and busy to prescently do so.

Outside of McDowell I don't see any relation between ACO and Caligula. Plus, Caligula was a shitty movie. Totally unwatchable without the hardcore action. Personally I think ACO is practically its own genre and an overall unique experience. I guess I could have chosen films where people were experimented on, but I went with the baser elements. I hope you approve.

Outside of McDowell I don't see any relation between ACO and Caligula. Plus, Caligula was a shitty movie. Totally unwatchable without the hardcore action. Personally I think ACO is practically its own genre and an overall unique experience. I guess I could have chosen films where people were experimented on, but I went with the baser elements. I hope you approve.

I approve of these picks, of course. Totally agree on ACO as being in its very own genre, though.

You described ACO as "art meets rape and murder[...] and the highbrow meets the lowbrow". I think that describes Caligula pretty well. You have the cream de'la cream of British theater actors delivering shakesperian monolouges all while some obscene retard-orgy is going on in the background -- and commentary on the nature of politics while Caligula is testing out his head-chopping machine in the Colusseum.

Caligula is a fucking trainwreck. But it is a glorious, infinitely fascinating trainwreck. Its production was just ludicrously absurd. Perhaps the worst edited film of all time until Resident Evil: Final Chapter came along.

Perhaps the worst edited film of all time until Resident Evil: Final Chapter came along.

RE: The Final Chapter really was poorly edited, but to give credit where it is due, it also had some really cool visuals.

These picks, my gosh <Oku03><{1-16}>

What's the deal with the random hate on PTA though? :mad:

RE: The Final Chapter really was poorly edited, but to give credit where it is due, it also had some really cool visuals.

It was edited by a guy credited as Doobie White (no joke) so I can't imagine what could have gone wrong there.

Caligula and RE's editing suck in wildly different ways though. RE seems to be edited by a hyperactive child on a cocain-rush while in Caligula they just stitched together unrelated scenes and didn't bother hiding it at all.

King Arthur would also be a nomination for worst all-time editing... which was edited by a human blender.

I approve of these picks, of course. Totally agree on ACO as being in its very own genre, though.

You described ACO as "art meets rape and murder[...] and the highbrow meets the lowbrow". I think that describes Caligula pretty well. You have the cream de'la cream of British theater actors delivering shakesperian monolouges all while some obscene retard-orgy is going on in the background -- and commentary on the nature of politics while Caligula is testing out his head-chopping machine in the Colusseum.

Caligula is a fucking trainwreck. But it is a glorious, infinitely fascinating trainwreck. Its production was just ludicrously absurd. Perhaps the worst edited film of all time until Resident Evil: Final Chapter came along.

Thanks.

Well, you got me there. Guess I didn't think that one through. :eek::oops: I was still intent on picking quality films though. :D

I can agree with trainwreck. Not so much with fascinating.

These picks, my gosh <Oku03><{1-16}>

What's the deal with the random hate on PTA though? :mad:

Is that good or bad? lol

Thought I'd rustle some jimmies is all. But the comparison I stand by. Mostly thinking of Magnolia, if that helps.

Is that good or bad? lol
Oh it's good. I'm fond of the three I've seen.
Thought I'd rustle some jimmies is all. But the comparison I stand by. Mostly thinking of Magnolia, if that helps.
Your use of the word gritty threw me off, I wouldn't describe PTA's movies as such.

Magnolia is actually one of my most hated films. I had seen every other PTA movie, Magnolia seemed to be well regarded, PTA himself even said he thought it was his best film (he has since changed his mind). The film itself I found so cringe inducingly melodramatic. There was almost nothing I liked about it, and having had high expectations, the end result left a very bad impression upon me.

Oh it's good. I'm fond of the three I've seen.

Your use of the word gritty threw me off, I wouldn't describe PTA's movies as such.

Magnolia is actually one of my most hated films. I had seen every other PTA movie, Magnolia seemed to be well regarded, PTA himself even said he thought it was his best film (he has since changed his mind). The film itself I found so cringe inducingly melodramatic. There was almost nothing I liked about it, and having had high expectations, the end result left a very bad impression upon me.

Excellent!

Gritty more in the sense of course and abrasive rather than courageous.

I loved Boogie Nights and was fuckin' psyched when Magnolia came out. At first I really enjoyed the plumbing of the darkest depths of humanity, but by the end it really wore me out. Probably lost me with the raining frogs business. Tom Cruise was my favorite part. Somewhere between Alec Baldwin in Glengarry and Rodney Dangerfield in Natural Born Killers. The rest of the movie was just painful. I kinda feel the same way about There Will Be Blood. Lots of drama but very little entertainment value. Between those two films I just don't watch his movies anymore.

It was edited by a guy credited as Doobie White (no joke) so I can't imagine what could have gone wrong there.

Caligula and RE's editing suck in wildly different ways though. RE seems to be edited by a hyperactive child on a cocain-rush while in Caligula they just stitched together unrelated scenes and didn't bother hiding it at all.

King Arthur would also be a nomination for worst all-time editing... which was edited by a human blender.

tenor.gif

Damn, I'm really caught in between two of the choices here. I'm just going to have to close my eyes and pick.

latest

I'll say this, the one movie of the four that I don't really have any interest in at all is leading, and that does not feel good, man. . .

I'll say this, the one movie of the four that I don't really have any interest in at all is leading, and that does not feel good, man. . .

Which one? I'm abstaining until I know if I gotta lay down a vote to cock-block the one flick I'd prefer not be chosen. :D

Which one? I'm abstaining until I know if I gotta lay down a vote to cock-block the one flick I'd prefer not be chosen. :D

Well, I'm not really supposed to tell you . . . remember?

Though here's a clue: The current leader was once described as being "gritty as fuck."

Well, I'm not really supposed to tell you . . . remember?

Though here's a clue: The current leader was once described as being "gritty as fuck."

Is that a rule or something? I don't really pay attention to rules.

Funny if that's the one you're least interested in since I figured it'd be the most palatable for you.

Back