SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 128 - Five Element Ninjas

He also said in the ending, after being mortally wounded, "Maybe it was Senji's spirit that still haunted me", in response to why he performed his suicide attack. So it appears her death did affect him greatly.
Lovers united in death. Btw, she said something like "He had me do hard labour. You don't how I've suffered for you!" Well, we saw her scrubbing the floor at the Japanese hq. I'm not sure if she was a drama queen or if she just had extremely high sense of self dignity...

I bet Ninja Supreme could have killed everyone in the movie and we didn't get to see him. :(
Old rule of thumb: One ninja master equals ten ninja pawns in combat. One renegade ninja equals three ninja masters. One ninja grandmaster / ninja supreme equals 1-3 renegade ninjas.

Alright i watched the movie but ill be honest somewhere in the middle i lost interest. It's complete nonsense for the most part.

Its a Kung Fu movie, of course its nonsense. Think of them like Asian super heroes. Even in a film like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon we see the classic rooftop running which is nonsense but the nonsense is what makes the genre attractive.

Old rule of thumb: One ninja master equals ten ninja pawns in combat. One renegade ninja equals three ninja masters. One ninja grandmaster / ninja supreme equals 1-3 renegade ninjas.

Makes total sense to me and as an example I will use a movie called Last Hurrah for Chivalry (1979). I believe it was the character Sung Jen Liu that was the "renegade ninja", always getting drunk, not really giving a shit about much, and he and his friend face a "grandmaster ninja" at the end of the film. I won't include spoilers in case you haven't seen it but the plot plays out in the funny way you have structured the power levels.

MV5BNjMwNzEzMjE2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTgyMjE1MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Its a Kung Fu movie, of course its nonsense. Think of them like Asian super heroes. Even in a film like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon we see the classic rooftop running which is nonsense but the nonsense is what makes the genre attractive.

Yeah but that movie had plot and such if i recall right they just happened to basically be able to fly lol.

Not much to say about this movie.
Plot didn't do anything for me.
Kind of enjoyed some of the fight scenes.

Why was the one guy who stabbed himself wearing makeup?

I like the golden raiden lookin mf'rs who use the light reflecting off their shields to blind them.

ninja34

Tree and water ninjas. Now that's an interesting take.
images

awesome.jpg

I remember dressing up as a ninja for one of my first Halloweens as a kid.
Ninjas jumping out of the earth. I like that part.

Me trying out the new movies I learned from this movie:

giphy.gif

Can't say I really enjoyed it all that much
But I tried.

<Fedor23>

Not much to say about this movie.
Plot didn't do anything for me.
Kind of enjoyed some of the fight scenes.

Why was the one guy who stabbed himself wearing makeup?

I like the golden raiden lookin mf'rs who use the light reflecting off their shields to blind them.

ninja34

Tree and water ninjas. Now that's an interesting take.
images

awesome.jpg

I remember dressing up as a ninja for one of my first Halloweens as a kid.
Ninjas jumping out of the earth. I like that part.

Me trying out the new movies I learned from this movie:

giphy.gif

Can't say I really enjoyed it all that much
But I tried.

<Fedor23>

That gif is better than the whole movie. Id that gif was part of a movie I'd watch it 4 sho.

I timestamped this potato quality video of the Water ninja kills. Its one of the highlight memorable moments of the film for me because they catch the water ninja's in nets and when they haul in their catch the water ninjas flop around like fish. Timestamped for last minute of scene.

I kind of thought earlier, that those fishnet ninja outfits would have to have something to do with the water element. The way the good guys speared those poor trapped ninjas to death was brutal.

That feeling you get when you're watching five element ninjas and you realize Leeloo, Corben, or Ruby aren't going to make an appearance...

giphy.gif

Just started watching.....so far sound is controlling the experience....the metal on metal during the fighting is worse than

giphy.gif

The only thing better (and more practical!) than a

giphy.gif

is lots of

Medium-Length-Hair-in-Laid-Back-Ponytail.jpg

Some of the best high ponytails I've seen in a while....

Secret weapons. You bastards!

giphy.gif

This movie is making me quite happy. The dialogue is supreme. And the intonation and accents are slaying me. It was the delivery of the dubbing team that delivered the above line.

Speers up the ass. Dudes erupting out of the ground. Old boy is handling the double bladed sodomy quite well :oops: OMG what is that hanging from his shorts?

Loved the commitment to flying around the screen. Totally enjoyed all of the group fights, expecially the poses against gold, the erupting earth ninjas and the stilts

giphy.gif

Yeah I... wasn't that high on this movie. It's alright and all... but it was definitively on the lower end of all Chang Cheh movies I've seen. I think it's easiest to talk about this movie squarely in relation to other martial arts movies (and especially in relation to Chang Cheh's own oeuvre). So that's what I'll do.

I know that it's almost a joke at this point about how "the plot doesn't matter in Kung Fu movies", but this movie just made me wish Chang still gave a damn about the story. The dramatic underpinning in his early stuff like One-Armed Swordsman, Five Deadly Venom or Golden Swallow made those movies so much better than his later stuff when he really just ran headlong to the punch-y, kick-y. I mean, this movie has such lazy plotting that when our protagonists get tied-up we have a previously unheralded flashback to when he learned by accident how to undo such a move!

MV5BY2FmYTM1MWEtM2FjZS00NWQyLTk5ZGUtYTcxNTVjMWQ2ZmQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BYThlNzViNmItYWM5ZS00MDQyLWFmMDAtOWQ4NGVmZmM2MjdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxMTY0OTQ@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BMWQ0ZTMyYzAtYWE0Yi00YjNlLWI5ZWUtOWFkZWVlYzVkYTZhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgyNjA0NjM@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Speaking of Golden Swallow, holy suicides batman! Chang Cheh definitively has a major fetish for his virtue boys falling on their own swords. Also speaking of Golden Swallow -- for those who don't know -- Chang Cheh was not really a fan of the fairer gender (dude loved himself some martial brotherly love though, dying in battle and all that). The female ninja part was basically mandated by producer Mona Fong who had taken a liking to the actress. She just straight-up told Chang to write her into the movie, somehow (and so we have female ninjas!). Honestly, I think her presence uplifts the movie, a needy chance of pace, basically.

That fishnet outfit though...

tumblr_pbxt9dxfnk1r239fno1_540.gif

It's interesting how much they promote ninja techniques and equipment in this film. They even write the names on the screen when they're used. It's sort of garish how over-the-top the film is and how meticulous they are in trying to appear accurate with their use of ninja paraphernalia.

However, if one would want to watch an "accurate" ninja movie, the Japanese just did it way, waaay better with the Raizô Ichikawa Ninja Trilogy from the 60's.

MV5BMGJmNzYzYWYtOWNiZS00ZTJlLTkxNTYtZWI0ZTNmYjZlZjVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIyNzY1NzM@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BOGQ3NjZlYTYtNjA2OC00ZWE1LWFhZGUtOGY1YTk5MzcxNjJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIyNzY1NzM@._V1_UY268_CR2,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BZWRlNzRlODEtMjYyMS00YWZhLWE5NDQtNDE1YzcwYjAxZWQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM3MDMyMDQ@._V1_UY268_CR2,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Furthermore, As a Japan vs China movie, 5 Element Ninjas is just nowhere near as good as say Heroes of the East or Duel to the Death, which were superior both on a martial and dramatic angle (as well as just communicating the difference in style between the two nations).

MV5BYzdhYTE4ZjUtYzQ3My00NDA2LWJmZTUtNGI4ZjA4OThjNTdmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjAyNTEwOQ@@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BZTdhNzJmZjMtNmI1ZC00OGMwLWI4MDEtZjkzNzA1OTc2OGViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

But even on a pure action-level, this movie doesn't compare to some of Chang Cheh contemporary films. It falls way below Kid with the Golden Fist in terms of creating interesting combatants and then having them square-off like a kid playing with his action toys. Neither does the movie have the sheer mean-spirited intensity and perverse cruelty of Masked Avengers (on the plus side it's nowhere near as confusing). Nor does it have the crafty camera-trickery of Sword Stained With Royal Blood to make the fighting more engaging (but again, the plus side is that it's nowhere near as silly as that movie).

MV5BM2Y5YzY4ZjUtNTlkOC00OGQyLTkyNjEtYjI0OGY5OWFjZDgwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
2676-masked-avengers-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg
MV5BYjBiNWMzMDAtZGRmMy00NDU2LTg5MTQtN2YzYTJiNjc2ZDQ4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU0NzkwMDg@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

This isn't the worst Chang Cheh movie out there though. It's about on par with Shaolin Temple and a bit better than said movies sequel 5 Shaolin Masters (which is basically a bunch of guys running around a forest getting into fights) and it's waaay better than the worst stuff Cheh ever did like Death Ring.

MV5BMGMwYTE3ZjYtOTczNC00MTViLWFjZTEtYmVjYmI3MTk3M2NlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BYzdhZTBjZDMtNzI5Yi00YzUxLTg1MTUtZmU4OWRjYzAwMDg4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_UY268_CR1,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BMTEwMDIxNTkwMjVeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDI5NzA2MTE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Ha!....I was quite entertained. Good to know there are better versions out there. Novelty sure drove the experience for me.

Last edited:
Back