SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 132 - Miracle Mile

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

Well, at least the Power Plant Meltdown and Toxic Winds turned out to be false...

51RoFKhUb1L.jpg

Our Director

Steve%2Bde%2BJarnatt%2B2.jpg

Our Star

MV5BMTI1NTk5ODY3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTE5MjcyMg@@._V1_UY317_CR7,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Premise: A young man hears a chance phone call telling him that a nuclear war has started and missiles will hit his city in 70 minutes.​

Budget: $3.7 Million

Box Office: $1,145,404

Trivia
(Courtesy of IMDB)
* The script was considered for Twilight Zone (1983) before Steven Spielberg was brought in on that project. The film would have consisted of only this story (instead of the four segments it eventually became) and would have had a slightly different ending with a Twilight Zone twist. Steve De Jarnatt did not like the change in the ending and the idea was eventually scrapped.

* The name of the burger shop that Julie works at is called "Fat Boy". This is a nod to the two atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Fat Man and Little Boy.

* It took Steve De Jarnatt eight years to get this movie made.

* The character of Harlan was named in tribute to acclaimed writer Harlan Ellison.

* This movie was shot in seven weeks mostly at night.

* In the original script, Julie had a 10-year-old son named Sam. Julie leaves him on the roof to help find a pilot and he is later revealed to have been airlifted to LAX and put on a plane to South America.

* Director Steve De Jarnatt had a cameo as the man who gets shot and falls face down onto the sewer grate.

Last edited:
Reposting from the Battle Royale thread:

1) As far as availability goes, Miracle Mile is available on Comcast OnDemand for three bucks, it's on Amazon Prime, and it has an excellent Blu-ray (also available on Amazon) which includes audio commentary from Steve De Jarnatt, the film's awesome writer and director (who wrote an Amazon review for his own movie titled "Glad i hung in there and went broke making it" :D), and Walter Chaw, a film critic who wrote the only book on Miracle Mile, which is also available on Amazon.

2) In honor of @Tufts' proposal during my Bruce Lee week - that we "only watch films that have had published essays written by club members!" - I actually have written an essay on Miracle Mile. HOWEVER, YOU MUST NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVEN CLICK THAT LINK UNLESS YOU HAVE ALREADY WATCHED THE MOVIE. Spoilers abound in that essay, so, I repeat: IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE THEN DON'T READ THE ESSAY.

3) Though Miracle Mile is entirely absent from film studies scholarship, there have been a number of good blog write-ups. Here's one from a guy named Joe Baltake (I cited his blog in my own essay, but the link that I have for you here is his new and revised write-up on the film), here's one from the critic Vern (who's also responsible for the glorious Seagalogy: A Study of the Ass-Kicking Films of Steven Seagal), and here's one from a guy named J.D. Lafrance. Once again, however: IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE THEN DON'T READ ANY OF THESE BLOGS!

4) Here's a cool screening Q&A with De Jarnatt from 2011. Other than the Blu-ray commentary and special features, this is the most extensive discussion with him on the film that I know of. Once again, though: IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE THEN DON'T WATCH THE Q&A!

5) Lastly, here's the outstanding Tangerine Dream score for the film for you to have playing in the background while you're posting ;)

I'll be back later to post more shit. And @MusterX, you better not skip this week, because I have a piece of deleted scene trivia for you that involves...THE DEVIL :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I've seen this twice now, with 30 years between viewings. Really loved it as a kid. Thought it was pretty good this time around. The acting was fine. The plot contrivances I was less accepting of. Things like finding a helicopter pilot like that. The lady at the diner being some nuclear insider (or whatever). The girl of course not staying put. Things like that. What I still thought was excellent was the mood it created. Lots of tension. And for a kid growing up living in nuclear fear, those are powerful emotions. The unhappy ending fit this film well.

Like @Cubo de Sangre , I saw this film 25 or 30 years ago, in fact so long ago I had forgot I ever saw it to begin with until I started watching it. It was one of those things where I started recognizing scenes but I couldn't remember how it played out so it was like watching it fresh all over again. Things that struck me about this film was that it starts out so light-hearted in a museum with a guy just trying to meet a girl. Then the seriousness of the situation ratchets up but still seems ridiculous. I don't mean ridiculous in a bad way just in such a way that it doesn't seem like there is really a bomb coming.

I honestly thought when Wilson crashed the stolen cop car and he and his sister were killed that it was going to be a situation where our protagonist Harry took a crank call from a phone booth and then started a chaotic event that had no bearing on reality. Wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth, find the girl of your dreams, go to prison for the biggest "nuclear war hoax" in history. Well, not as bad as the actual nuclear war. I found it interesting that the film starts with an explanation of evolution and then ends with Harry and Julie sinking into the La Brea Tar Pits.

What is the moral of the story here? Survival of the fittest. That was the entire point of showing the evolution of organisms at the beginning of the film. Harry kept wasting time and wasting time and wasting time and getting side tracked and getting side tracked and he was not fit to survive and thus sank to the bottom of the tar pits just as the dinosaurs had. Its really a dual meaning because not only was Harry not fit enough to know he had to leave Julie behind and flee, hence his extinction, but also the extinction of mankind because of our own inability to survive our own technology.

I think the film actually illustrates something realistic that could happen and that is that once word gets out that missiles are on the way, everyone calls their friends and loved ones to warn them and it triggers a chaos that spreads like a disease, like a virus. Some people would try to flee, some would simply wait it out, others would get hammered like the maniac on the roof, others still would try to enact one last revenge on their enemy, others would loot.

Bummer end to the film but it was the 1980's and I can tell you growing up in the 70's and 80's people actually worried about this exact scenario. This is why some people actually had "back-yard bunkers." Anyway, good stuff, some of it silly but overall I enjoyed thinking that Harry and Julie were somehow going to escape all this or maybe there were no missiles coming, and then was finally smacked with reality when the helicopter went down. Dat copter pilot though...

Satan/10

I think the film actually illustrates something realistic that could happen and that is that once word gets out that missiles are on the way, everyone calls their friends and loved ones to warn them and it triggers a chaos that spreads like a disease, like a virus. Some people would try to flee, some would simply wait it out, others would get hammered like the maniac on the roof, others still would try to enact one last revenge on their enemy, others would loot.

Some would feed their pups and post on Sherdog. :cool:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/incoming-ballistic-missile-to-hawaii-update-nah.3691231/

Dat copter pilot though...

This guy?

Cobra-NightSlasherKnife.jpg

* One thing that I kind of turned up my nose towards was how gawkish and nerdy the two main-characters where. I mean, they're about to die in a crashed helicopter after nuclear annihilation hit and the guy makes a freaking Superman reference. It's literally the penultimate thing he says to his loved one. Superman! Diamonds! Love foreva--Julia!

* Got to love how the dawn's orange rays during the riots give everything a hellish tint, with masses of metal and human bodies scrambling around in chaos and fright. It's like the blazing orange of the dawn is foretelling the white-hot fire of the nuclear attack itself.

* I didn't really get the movies preposition of mostly taking place in about the span of an hour. All those events feel like way longer than 60 minutes -- especially with how much building-running they do.

* This is a movie that is so subtly strange that I almost thought it was doing what The Warriors did -- remake a classic Greek play in an urban cityscape. There are plot contrivances galore (mirroring the Greeks concept of the inevitability of fate, starting when the electricity in Harry's building goes off). Everything takes place at the dead of night -- creating a world that is thoroughly human-made yet also strangely empty in its behemoth buildings. Plenty of weird characters and places to go around (the gas-station man, the packed fitness center at 4 in the morning). They can't just meat a helicopter pilot -- they have to meat ex-military ogre-man Brian Thompson (and his gay lover) who can deliver them to safety. Julia's grandparents being reunited on their dying day. Julia being carried sleeping like some enchanted Princess. And when the apocalypse happens -- some guy just decides to madly go hunt after Harry with his gun because Harry stepped on the roof of his car. The riot scenes themselves seems like someone just stepped into the pits of Tartarus. And then you have the utter sentimentality about Harry and Julia being soulmates and romantically realizing that after the very first day they meat (well, I guess that one is more Chivalry Romance than Greek).
It's all too... weird. As I said, it feels like they remade a Greek myth in modern times ala The Warriors, recasting monsters as Brian Thompson and gun-wielding Angelos.

* There is a strangely atheistic bent to this film-apocalypse. The movie starts with a Big Bang. Then it shows a museum of extinguished creatures (showing that this has happened in the past). And when Harry and Julia are about to die -- they comfort themselves with the fact that their matter will coagulate together and become diamonds, instead of the usual "Our souls will be together in heaven" stuff. A metaphysical connection to their Doom doesn't even occur to them. You'd think there would be more people screaming Jesus!.

* Props to the camera-work during the dinner scene -- right after Harry got the call. The angles gave the impression of unreality setting him. Starting with a wide-shoot to highlight the thoughtless mundanity during an hour of doom. Moving into close-ups and sweeping-shoots and everything. It was well done.

I think the film actually illustrates something realistic that could happen and that is that once word gets out that missiles are on the way, everyone calls their friends and loved ones to warn them and it triggers a chaos that spreads like a disease, like a virus.

Honestly, a thing that I thought was realistic was how Harry would decide to lie about the Nuclear attack -- confirming whatever the hell people assumed from him. The black guy says meltdown, the helicopter man said Toxic Winds. I don't know, it just feels realistic somehow. The weight of the situation feels so overwhelming that he feels more comfortable just confirming whatever the hell they fear most and running with it.

What is the moral of the story here? Survival of the fittest.

I think it's more about the love-angle, love conquering even death. Harry and Julia go beyond the call of duty for each other on The Day of Reckoning. The world's ending and all they can think of is each other. And then -- when they fail -- they rejoice in the fact that they will be buried together, decomposed with their matter conjoined as diamonds in 100 million years. Not even death or the end of the world can extinguish their love.

and thus sank to the bottom of the tar pits just as the dinosaurs had.

Got to love the fact that the movie starts with them observing extinguished creatures in a museum -- and ends with themselves probably becoming museum pieces as extinguished creatures in a couple of million years time, since they crashed in that tar pit.

The acting was fine.

I was a bit annoyed by that. I just couldn't stop thinking that in such a situation people would be more frantic. Going 110% all the time. They just seemed to collected, for my liking. But I think that's just for the benefits of telling a cohesive, toned story.

Yes, Brian Thompson, he shows up in all kinds of 1980's movies with that big ass lantern jaw of his. He was in Cobra (1986) with Sly Stallone, Lionheart (1991) with Van Damme, The Terminator (1984) with Arnold, among many other films. When I saw him as the chopper pilot in Miracle Mile I chuckled.

Your clothes, give them to me.

th

th

Yes, Brian Thompson, he shows up in all kinds of 1980's movies with that big ass lantern jaw of his. He was in Cobra (1986) with Sly Stallone, Lionheart (1991) with Van Damme, The Terminator (1984) with Arnold, among many other films. When I saw him as the chopper pilot in Miracle Mile I chuckled.

Your clothes, give them to me.

th

th

Yeah he's just one of those odd faces that show up in a lot of films. Too bad Sergio Leone never got to use him, he'd do cinematic wonders to such a jaw.

He'll always be Vile Emperor Shao Khan to me!

5e3b23fa8901fed2e12f0d2a0d8c9d53.jpg

Kind of a limp follow-up to Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung but still...

ST70vXi.gif

This scene features the most explicit intervention of the Destiny-machine in the mise-en-scène, as the setting for this scene wherein Harry finally informs Julie of what has transpired since he missed their date is the mall’s clock shop. Surrounded on all sides by clocks, watches, and hourglasses, Harry and Julie attempt to delude themselves into believing Harry’s visionary moment was merely a glitch in the Destiny-machine, that there is no nuclear apocalypse approaching, that their fate has not been sealed. For Roger Ebert, this is the aspect of the narrative that is responsible for the film’s “diabolical effectiveness,”[42] the uncertainty with regards to whether the soldier on the phone was right and the world is going to end, whether he was wrong or they somehow aborted the strike, or whether the whole thing is just a nightmare from which Harry will soon awaken. Close examination of the mise-en-scène, however, ensures that there is only one conclusion to be reached; as De Jarnatt said himself, the film “does have a dreamlike quality where that is sort of your out, that maybe this was all a dream, but I didn’t give you that out.”[43] Expecting a Twilight Zone ending where Harry wakes up to his alarm clock at midnight flies in the face of the carefully constructed mise-en-scène, from the Big Bang video at the museum, the prominence of the Tar Pits, the recurring revolving clock outside the diner, and finally to this clock shop, the first entrance into which is signaled by the audible sound of a cuckoo clock alerting the characters that the inevitable end has arrived.

tenor.gif

Great write up, especially in that meaty piece of cunning mise-en-scène paragraph (and I'm not saying that just because you got the Fritz Lang Destiny Machine in there:p)

* One thing that I kind of turned up my nose towards was how gawkish and nerdy the two main-characters where. I mean, they're about to die in a crashed helicopter after nuclear annihilation hit and the guy makes a freaking Superman reference. It's literally the penultimate thing he says to his loved one. Superman! Diamonds! Love foreva--Julia!

The 80's were a weird time, I can confirm. The nerdy, corny way that actors acted and the things they said in the 1980's were in fact nerdy and corny. Its widespread too, not just in this movie.

* Got to love how the dawn's orange rays during the riots give everything a hellish tint, with masses of metal and human bodies scrambling around in chaos and fright. It's like the blazing orange of the dawn is foretelling the white-hot fire of the nuclear attack itself.

It reminded e a little bit of Escape from New York (1981), not the movie but that orange feel and chaos in an urban environment. Don't know why I put those two together but it reminded me of it for some reason, and both are very 80's.

th

th

* This is a movie that is so subtly strange that I almost thought it was doing what The Warriors did -- remake a classic Greek play in an urban cityscape. There are plot contrivances galore (mirroring the Greeks concept of the inevitability of fate, starting when the electricity in Harry's building goes off). Everything takes place at the dead of night -- creating a world that is thoroughly human-made yet also strangely empty in its behemoth buildings. Plenty of weird characters and places to go around (the gas-station man, the packed fitness center at 4 in the morning). They can't just meat a helicopter pilot -- they have to meat ex-military ogre-man Brian Thompson (and his gay lover) who can deliver them to safety.

Bro, one does not simply "meat" a homosexual helicopter pilot.

The gas station scene is an example of the weirdness in this film. I'm going along, watching, next thing you know 2 police are on fire and dead. I thought to myself that seemed out of place. Then again when Wilson and his sister, pursued by the police, crash the stolen cop car and are shot up and dying. I didn't know what to think. Was this a silly 80's love story or some serious shit?

The riot scenes themselves seems like someone just stepped into the pits of Tartarus. And then you have the utter sentimentality about Harry and Julia being soulmates and romantically realizing that after the very first day they meat

Holy shit, a Tartarus reference.

There you go again talking about meating people. Harry tried to meat Julie in the elevator at the end but alas, it was not to be.

I think it's more about the love-angle, love conquering even death. Harry and Julia go beyond the call of duty for each other on The Day of Reckoning. The world's ending and all they can think of is each other. And then -- when they fail -- they rejoice in the fact that they will be buried together, decomposed with their matter conjoined as diamonds in 100 million years. Not even death or the end of the world can extinguish their love.

It was about the pursuit of love but it was also about survival of the fittest which is why the film starts with an explanation of evolution and ends with humans sinking into a tar pit like the dinosaurs did.

This was such a disappointing movie. It got things right for a few minutes at a time, and had a bit of a James Cameron atmosphere...but not quite enough of it. The whole thing being centered on an ultra-goofy and not terribly well executed romance (which was bad from the opening scene) really hurt the story. If the whole meet-cute thing had been ditched and it had been grounded in pre-existing relationships more like the ones in Spielberg's War of the Worlds, this really could have been an 80s classic. That or execute the romance a lot better.

Bro, one does not simply "meat" a homosexual helicopter pilot.

I just googled "meat" -- and although I was incorrect in my spelling of the word "meet" -- I still claim that "meat a homosexual helicopter pilot" is the heights of gay poetry.

Ok, story time.

Part 1:

There's something about that movie for me. In my life, it's honestly become a good luck charm. It's accompanied me on so many different stops on my film journey over the last decade that I actually find it kind of spooky. I have so many stories to tell about it, but I'll wait until the voting's closed (I say "wait until the voting's closed" and not "wait until the discussion thread" because it seems pretty clear that it ain't winning this Battle Royale :(). For now, I'll say that I'd be unable to bring it up if it weren't for @aquamanpunch, an old frequenter of the Serious Movie Discussion thread. In the SMD of old, members would often do movie bets (before an upcoming card, two members would pick two fighters and whoever's pick lost had to watch the movie of the other's choosing). I upped the ante once and offered a movie challenge. I made a list of Katharine Hepburn movies and told people that for every Hepburn movie they watched I'd watch two movies of their choosing.

Needless to say, the list of movies that I ended up having to go through was quite long. But aqua was like a shark with a bucket of chum. He fucking devoured that Hepburn list. I think he watched something like 8 of them which left me with 16 movies on the list just for him. One of them was Sick: The Life & Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist. Anyone who knows what that is will understand the kind of person I was dealing with with aqua as well as my level of commitment to the challenge. But another one of the movies on his list was Miracle Mile. In a weird way, I owe him a lot and all he did was recommend a movie to me.

Part 1 of this story, about how I first saw Miracle Mile via my "Hepburn Challenge" in the SMD, puts us at around 2009. The following year, I took a class as a film school undergrad on film noir. I'd already taken a class on silent cinema with the same professor, a really cool dude who spent the '80s working on film and TV crews in LA. When we were coming up on picking what to write for our final papers, I asked him if it'd be okay if I wrote my paper on Miracle Mile as a weird kind of neo-noir film. He took a pause like I'd hit the reset button on his brain and then he tells me that he saw Miracle Mile in its original theater run in LA. He was blown away by the reference and told me he'd love to read a paper on it.

That's not the end of the story, however. On the syllabus, the last day of class was blank. On the last day of his silent cinema class, we voted on what movie to watch (we ended up watching The Passion of Joan of Arc). This time, he told us the second-to-last week that he was going to show us Paul Schrader's underrated film Patty Hearst. On a whim, "just in case" something happened, I decided to pack my Miracle Mile DVD and bring it with me that last day. Sure enough, the digital copy of Patty Hearst that my professor had on his flash drive wouldn't play. I raised my hand and said, "You know, I have Miracle Mile with me." He looks up from the lectern and just goes, "No you don't." I reached into my backpack and pulled it out and he goes, "Ok, change of plans: We're watching Miracle Mile." I brought it up to him at the lectern, I put in the DVD, and as I'm doing that he just walks away. I stand-up and watch him walk through a row of seats, sit down, and then he goes, "So tell us about the movie we're going to watch." Now, coming up on the end of the second class I'd taken with this guy, he already knew that I knew my shit and that I wanted to go the academia route and teach film, blah blah blah. But when he said that, the look he had on his face, it's like what he was really saying was, "Go ahead, future professor: Profess."

So I got to take over and run the last day of class. I stood up at the lectern and introduced the film to my classmates, then we watched it, and then the professor stayed in the seats with us and facilitated a discussion throwing shit to me like I was his co-professor. It was the greatest day of my undergrad days, and it all happened because I decided to bring Miracle Mile along with me "just in case." Harry's right: "Fate is a funny thing."

Fast-forward a few years and I'm finishing up my Master's at the University of Chicago. It's Spring 2014, I've already finished my MA dissertation, and I get a call for papers e-mail from the editor of a journal run through the Master's program at the university. I knew that I wouldn't have time to write an essay from scratch, but I'd recently bought and read Walter Chaw's book on Miracle Mile and it occurred to me: Why not find that Miracle Mile essay that I wrote for my undergrad film noir class? I rummaged around in my computer, found that old essay, dusted it off, spruced it up a little bit, and submitted it. Sure enough, it was accepted. Not only that, I'd taken two classes at the University of Chicago with Tom Gunning, the author of the book on Fritz Lang in which he articulated the concept of the Destiny-machine that I rely on in the essay, so it was cool having him say that my essay using his shit was cool. Now I'm thinking - again to borrow from Harry - "There has to be a cosmic plan of some sort."

Still not crazy enough? Don't worry, I've got the icing for this crazy cake. I'm in Wales on my PhD scholarship. It's late 2016 and I'm sitting in my flat at like midnight, winding down for the night, and I decide to check my e-mails one last time. Once my Inbox loads up, I see that I've got a few new e-mails, including one from someone named Walter Chaw. The name seemed familiar to me but I couldn't place it. Then it hit me: The Miracle Mile guy! I opened it and it's him telling me that he read my essay and thought it was great and was happy to learn new things about it from what I had to say in response to his book. I responded by thanking him for his kind words and complimenting him on his book and I'm thinking that was cool but now it's over. Uh-uh. A few days later, I see his name show up in my Inbox again. It's a short e-mail that just says that he forwarded my essay on to Steve De Jarnatt who loved it and wanted to thank me for writing it.

giphy.gif

As a scholar, whenever I analyze a movie that I love, the only audience that I have in mind are the filmmakers. When I write about Bruce Lee, I write with him in mind, imagining him reading (and hopefully liking) it. Same thing with when I wrote about Hitchcock, about Mann's Collateral. And same thing when I wrote about Miracle Mile. If the person who made the movie that I'm analyzing can read my analysis and think, "Wow, this guy really loves my movie and he really gets it," then I did my job.

But obviously that'll never happen. It's just a device that I use to motivate me when I write. It's a fantasy, a projection. It's not reality. Then this craziness happens. There I was, writing a thesis with the concept of authorship at the center and trying to explain to my at-the-time poststructuralist colleague (and soon-to-be-girlfriend and now ex-girlfriend) why (paging @Rimbaud82) Roland Barthes' "The Death of the Author" represents the most heinous and murderous aesthetic position that one can possibly take, and then I received the ultimate validation from the author of one of my favorite movies.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/9e9d0bd8-894e-46ad-8599-22ab58c4415c

giphy.gif

So yeah, needless to say: Miracle Mile is a very special movie to me. And, in addition to all of that, IT'S A DAMN GOOD MOVIE. Like sneaky good. Since I wrote a whole essay for you to read, I'm not going to recapitulate everything. But I will say something that I don't talk about in the essay itself, which is that this film is full of so many wonderful moments. By "wonderful," that can mean a bizarre moment (like the rats falling out of the tree onto Harry's car when he arrives at the diner), an ominous moment (that glorious low-angle shot of Julie framed against the Wooly Mammoth [?] tusks), a beautiful moment (the combination of the slow-mo, the music, the colors, and Harry's voice-over makes that early bit of the Harry/Julie montage where they're on the Merry-Go-Round such a beautiful moment - oh, and BTW, I used that line of Harry's about how he thinks he's "always been a romantic kind of guy, [he] just never had someone to be romantic with before" with that colleague/future girlfriend/current ex and it worked like a charm ;)), a funny moment (I always crack up when the camera pans left on the outside of the diner when they're all exiting to get in the truck and you can see the Terminator shrink puking), a tragic moment (the visual of Bubba carrying his dying sister in his arms while trying to walk up the Down escalator is fucking devastating), what have you, the movie is filled with wonderful moments.

God, I fucking love this movie :D

The acting was fine.

Other than Mare Winningham, who seems off the whole movie, I think the acting is shockingly fantastic, particularly from the supporting players like Mykelti Williamson, Kurt Fuller, and Robert DoQui.

The plot contrivances I was less accepting of. Things like finding a helicopter pilot like that. The lady at the diner being some nuclear insider (or whatever). The girl of course not staying put. Things like that.

Read my essay and see if it brings shit together better for you. In particular, the idea of "noir logic" and the way that Harry, who thinks that "there has to be a cosmic plan of some sort," never clues in to the fact that the only conceivable "cosmic plan" is annihilation should hopefully help you to come to terms with the way that the narrative is essentially "rigged."

What I still thought was excellent was the mood it created. Lots of tension.

Oh, yeah. Watching it in that film class, with 20+ late-teens/twentysomethings in a room set-up like a mini movie theater, I could feel the way that everyone in the room was gripped. That term, "gripping," fits perfectly here.

And for a kid growing up living in nuclear fear, those are powerful emotions. The unhappy ending fit this film well.

In his book, Chaw invokes Fermi's Paradox and argues that the idea that "civilizations, in their march toward technological sophistication, tend not to last very long. They destroy themselves" is relevant to the proceedings in Miracle Mile, particularly in light of the fact - and yes, I'm going full Muster here - that Landa is seen reading from Gravity's Rainbow which promulgates the notion that "nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation," thus connecting the idea of annihilation on the one hand with immortality on the other and essentially posing the question: If the ending is indeed unhappy, in what sense or to what degree is it unhappy?

giphy.gif

Things that struck me about this film was that it starts out so light-hearted in a museum with a guy just trying to meet a girl. Then the seriousness of the situation ratchets up but still seems ridiculous.

In 2008, BAFTA bestowed upon Miracle Mile the award for "Biggest Lurch of Tone." Shit goes from the beginning of a relationship to the extinction of the human race: Now that's a fucking movie :eek:

I honestly thought when Wilson crashed the stolen cop car and he and his sister were killed that it was going to be a situation where our protagonist Harry took a crank call from a phone booth and then started a chaotic event that had no bearing on reality. Wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth, find the girl of your dreams, go to prison for the biggest "nuclear war hoax" in history.

Same here, especially with Julie going at him ("What is the truth, Harry?"), but then, on the other hand, there's a sinister undercurrent to the dialogue that's telling you: They're not going to be so lucky. As I put it in my essay:

"Julie does her best to be optimistic and convince Harry that everything had been a tragic misunderstanding and that everything was going to be okay, but discernible in both of their faces is the wish for this to be true despite the knowledge that it is not, a sentiment reinforced aurally by the sounds of the ticking clocks surrounding them and capped off visually by Harry, who only joins Julie to surrender themselves to the police after picking up an hourglass and placing it on the shelf with all of the sand on the bottom, another indicator that time has run out for this Don Quixote and his Dulcinea."

Sticking with this scene: My favorite part is how, even as you're hoping against hope that everything will work out, that the world isn't going to end, when you see those ropes swinging as the SWAT guys book it, it creates such a sinking feeling in your stomach because now it's all but impossible to believe that things are going to work out.

I found it interesting that the film starts with an explanation of evolution and then ends with Harry and Julie sinking into the La Brea Tar Pits.

Great minds think alike. From my essay:

"The aptness of the [film's] title extends to the miracle of humanity’s contingent existence as the result of millions of years of evolution, and the setting of the film—right in the middle of, on the one hand, the La Brea Tar Pits and the museums that provide the final resting place for a multitude of extinct species, and, on the other hand, the thriving contemporary American society representative of the vitality of life itself—contributes a tragic irony that will display its full effect in the film’s final sequence."

On top of which: It starts with a "big bang" and ends with another one :cool:

What is the moral of the story here? Survival of the fittest. That was the entire point of showing the evolution of organisms at the beginning of the film. Harry kept wasting time and wasting time and wasting time and getting side tracked and getting side tracked and he was not fit to survive and thus sank to the bottom of the tar pits just as the dinosaurs had. Its really a dual meaning because not only was Harry not fit enough to know he had to leave Julie behind and flee, hence his extinction, but also the extinction of mankind because of our own inability to survive our own technology.

I think I'm with you, but I'd hit that last point harder: Survival of the fittest is in there, but I think that the point of its being there is to indicate not just that Harry isn't fit to survive but that we all, that humans, aren't fit to - and won't - survive. It's a dark ass film in that respect - that's the noir of it.

Bummer end to the film but it was the 1980's and I can tell you growing up in the 70's and 80's people actually worried about this exact scenario. This is why some people actually had "back-yard bunkers."

As I write in one of the footnotes in my essay (citing Vern from that blog post of his that I linked to):

"In his review of Miracle Mile, Vern perspicaciously points out how, 'These days nuclear war seems like kind of an abstract threat. If anything we’re concerned about some fanatics stealing a bomb and setting it off somewhere. That’s a terrifying idea but back then ‘mutually assured destruction’ was pretty much assumed—if one went off then a whole bunch went off, fired back and forth between two sides until everybody’s dead.' While the narrative stays within the U.S. and limits itself to one particular city, the implications, as Harry well knows, are apocalyptic in the full sense of the word."

* One thing that I kind of turned up my nose towards was how gawkish and nerdy the two main-characters where. I mean, they're about to die in a crashed helicopter after nuclear annihilation hit and the guy makes a freaking Superman reference.

It's established right from the jump that Harry's a nerd. It'd be weird if he didn't say something nerdy at the end.

QFT.

* This is a movie that is so subtly strange

Two words from my essay: Noir logic. In your head, this movie takes you to The Warriors; for me, it takes me to The Third Man, which is also strange, dark, sweet, and tragic all rolled up into one movie.

* There is a strangely atheistic bent to this film-apocalypse.

Two more (hyphenated) words from my essay: Destiny-machine. From my essay (quoting from Tom Gunning's articulation of the workings of the Destiny-machine in the films of Fritz Lang):

"Gunning is emphatic about distinguishing the Destiny-machine from any sort of God concept, but a crucial distinction to be made is that Lang’s early silent allegories did often posit some sort of controlling Agent, be it Death as God’s collector of souls in Der müde Tod (1921) or the theistic God-Satan-Christ triad between Joh Fredersen/God (Alfred Abel), Rotwang/Satan (Rudolf Klein-Rogge), and Freder/Christ (Gustav Fröhlich) in Metropolis (1927). It was not until his American films noir (The Woman in the Window [1944] and Scarlet Street [1945]) that Lang banished Masters (of either the appointed variety, e.g. Death, or the self-appointed variety, e.g. Dr. Mabuse) from the Destiny-machine, now become a mercilessly mechanical 'crushing force' set in motion not by Promethean acts of human hubris, but by mere chance, and with no regard for the innocent and futile actions of those in its path, for 'there is no tyrant that reveals his hands on the puppet strings; simply an impersonal order of things' from which there is neither the possibility of escape nor the promise of salvation."

Most interesting to me (paging Muster, aka Mr. Satan) is that, at one time, De Jarnatt thought of ending the film with Harry and Julie arriving in Hell. He even shot the scene and it's on the Blu-ray as a Deleted Scene. The alternate ending has Harry and Julie getting into the elevator which, in the film's ending, they ride up to the helipad, only in this version they realize that the elevator is going down. Suddenly, the doors open and they're on a parking level and a man and a woman get on the elevator with them (the man is played by Joe Turkel, who played Lloyd in The Shining and Tyrell in Blade Runner). They end up going down in the elevator literally to Hell. On the way, there are clearly supposed to be a bunch of "revealing" lines, but it's hard to make out what they're saying plus there are no subtitles since the scene is from an old VHS daily. It sounds like the first line that Turkel says upon entering the elevator is something like, "Well, the Ark left." The woman then says, with a creepy look on her face and in a lifeless tone, "Purgatory." Turkel then starts talking about the souls of suicides and adds something about "the flaming spirits of the evil counsels" before saying, with a weird kind of reverence, "Lucifer." The last thing he says as the doors open and the inside of the elevator reflects the bright orange from the fires outside the doors sounds like "The Kingdom of Hell." The two of them then exit the elevator while Harry and Julie stay inside.

I don't know where that scene was supposed to go from there, but the key is that, with reference to the Destiny-machine, to have introduced any religious elements into the film, to have revealed that the universe of the film was one with Heaven and Hell, God and Satan, etc., would've been an utter betrayal. The genius of the film, the source of its powerful force, is that there's no one pulling the strings, there's no one to appeal to, there's no "outside" force or entity "doing" anything to us. It just is what it is.

* Props to the camera-work during the dinner scene -- right after Harry got the call. The angles gave the impression of unreality setting him. Starting with a wide-shoot to highlight the thoughtless mundanity during an hour of doom. Moving into close-ups and sweeping-shoots and everything. It was well done

Plus, as a Hitchcock guy, I love the way that scene feels like it's from right out of The Birds.

I think it's more about the love-angle, love conquering even death.

You sap. From my essay:

"The ending of Miracle Mile, where Harry tries to convey the peace of death to Julie by invoking Superman’s ability to turn coal into diamonds, offering her the image of the two of them as beautiful artifacts to be preserved, discovered, studied, and admired by the intelligent life that will inherit the vacated Earth from the soon-to-be-extinct humans, shares the sentiment of the ending in Der müde Tod. Comparing Lang’s tragic allegory to D.W. Griffith’s comparatively tepid Intolerance (1916), Gunning argues that the 'sense of catastrophe' in Lang’s film surpasses that in Griffith’s, for whereas Griffith 'exempts his central modern story from the grim ending of death and destruction found in each of the tales of the past,' Lang makes his modern story 'the central allegory of death’s power.' Despite this similarity, however, to read the ending of Miracle Mile as Gunning reads the ending of Der müde Tod, as evidence that 'love is as strong as death' and that it can act as a counterweight within the Destiny-machine, is to ignore the debt Miracle Mile owes the science fiction genre and, by extension, to deny the film its larger allegorical function.

While the film noir aspect of Miracle Mile informs its oneiric atmosphere and fatalistic prerogative, it is the science fiction aspect that informs its depiction of Babylonian Los Angeles as an 'electronically infused enclave perched on the brink of the world, pushing at the boundaries of hope and torn between possibly inextricable drives to preserve and exploit the environment.' As outlined by Dan Dinello, 'at its most pessimistic, science fiction depicts humans as the victims of a ubiquitous, oppressive technological force,' and 'despair, cynicism, and fatalistic thought often rationalize capitulation to the apparent inevitability' of humanity’s return to the primordial ooze represented by the Tar Pits. But this is merely the thematic prelude, for science fiction can do more than simply reflect cultural despair (which was at once the raison d’etre and the thematic cutoff point for classical film noir). Unlike classical film noir, science fiction carries with it a moral imperative, offering the potential to transcend fatalism and acquiescence; it calls for a 'progressive political agenda' that implores the audience to put their bodies upon the gears of the Destiny-machine and create a better future than that which has been depicted."

If you go the romantic route, you pass by the cautionary tale route. It's got to be tragic otherwise we won't feel compelled to avoid it.

Harry and Julia go beyond the call of duty for each other on The Day of Reckoning. The world's ending and all they can think of is each other. And then -- when they fail -- they rejoice in the fact that they will be buried together, decomposed with their matter conjoined as diamonds in 100 million years. Not even death or the end of the world can extinguish their love.

That very last bit with them in the helicopter seems to have an amor fati ring to it.

Got to love the fact that the movie starts with them observing extinguished creatures in a museum -- and ends with themselves probably becoming museum pieces as extinguished creatures in a couple of million years time, since they crashed in that tar pit.

QFT.

I was a bit annoyed by that. I just couldn't stop thinking that in such a situation people would be more frantic. Going 110% all the time. They just seemed to collected, for my liking. But I think that's just for the benefits of telling a cohesive, toned story.

I'm sorry, you think the film should've been more frantic o_O:eek:

He'll always be Vile Emperor Shao Khan to me!

5e3b23fa8901fed2e12f0d2a0d8c9d53.jpg

If you would've grown up around me, you'd know how amazing it is that I was beaten to this Mortal Kombat: Annihilation reference :D

And then, for the laundry list of familiar faces:

Yes, the main character is Goose from Top Gun.

Yes, the diner manager is Sergeant Reed from the Robocops.

Yes, the diner waitress is the diner waitress from "The Bubble Boy" episode of Seinfeld.

Yes, the blond nuke expert is the mom from Pet Sematary.

Yes, the guy eating with the tranny and puking outside the diner is the shrink from T1 and T2.

Yes, the helicopter procurer is Rob Lowe's sidekick from Wayne's World (and yes, he got drugged out at the end of the movie and fucked a dead guy on the helipad before having his eyes melted by the nukes :eek:)

Yes, the electronics entrepreneur is Bubba from Forrest Gump.

Yes, the gas station attendant is Mr. Blue from Reservoir Dogs.

This was such a disappointing movie. It got things right for a few minutes at a time, and had a bit of a James Cameron atmosphere...but not quite enough of it. The whole thing being centered on an ultra-goofy and not terribly well executed romance (which was bad from the opening scene) really hurt the story. If the whole meet-cute thing had been ditched and it had been grounded in pre-existing relationships more like the ones in Spielberg's War of the Worlds, this really could have been an 80s classic. That or execute the romance a lot better.

giphy.gif

The cheese is so delicious. How could you want that movie without that key ingredient?

@Bullitt68, all I wanna know is did you watch Tucker & Dale like you said you would?

Not yet. Obviously, Miracle Mile was my top priority. But I'm a man of my word, so don't you worry. I'll watch it and I'll post about it in the Week 133 pick 'em thread.

giphy.gif

The cheese is so delicious. How could you want that movie without that key ingredient?

The cheese like the Brian Thompson and Kurt Fuller roles was fun. The romance upon which the whole premise was built was weakly written and executed and just plain silly.

The romance upon which the whole premise was built was weakly written and executed and just plain silly.

Can't disagree strongly enough. That shit's resonant, man. The opening meet-cute is fucking incredible - as dorky as it is profound - and it's helped tremendously by that evocative Tangerine Dream score.

Can't disagree strongly enough. That shit's resonant, man. The opening meet-cute is fucking incredible - as dorky as it is profound - and it's helped tremendously by that evocative Tangerine Dream score.

Reminds me of our True Romance discussion. Goose in MM is Clarence. Slightly difference circumstance. :eek::D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back