SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 77 Discussion - Halloween

I see that the makeup guy is a can

I blame him for most of the movies problems

LOL that he said he retired after that movie

Yeah, I noticed that too. While watching the movie the other night one thing I took note of was that Donald Pleasence's makeup really didn't look that great so it was interesting to see that that was addressed.

One of the biggest problems is that Michael Myers is just not very cool in this one. For one, let's talk about the mask. Here's what he looks like in Halloween:

myers-h1.jpg

And here's what he looks like in Halloween 4:

MV5BZTI0MzJhODYtNDdkOC00ZmVhLTg4YmUtOGVjODBkNGFlMjQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyNDQ2NjI@._V1_.jpg

It ain't the same. They may look similar, but it's not the same shit and the mask in the first film was a lot creepier. Not only that, but Michael doesn't move the same in this film as he does in the first. He kind of moves like a retard.

Yes, the mask in 4 is the worst of the series. It looks dopey.

P.S. I didn't really get the ending. It was kind of cool to see the callback to the first film with the girl killing her foster mother much in the way that Michael killed his sister, but why did she do it? Just because she touched him for a brief moment? Did he pass some bad juju onto her? While it was kind of a cool and surprising moment in the film, there's no logical reason for it.

I think this was thrown in to be one last shocking scare that came off more embarrassing than anything. It was pretty dumb.

Although, I do think it’s hilarious that Loomis’ first instinct is to blow away a little girl with his gun.

All right, so I finally watched Zombie’s second Halloween movie for the first time, and I would have been better off ramming my head into the wall. What a shit movie. It’s easily the worst Halloween film made. Even worse than 5, 6, and Resurrection, and that’s saying something.

I knew someone would compile this so I didn't have to do it myself, but here's the evolution of the mask as the movies went on. The last two are Zombie ones, as you can probably figure out. The one with the eyebrows on the bottom left really irritated me looking at him.

evolution_of_michael_myers_by_halloweenlover316-d81ve61.png

Someone else wrote an article ranking them. I don't know why, but at least it points out the differences of the masks. It does have spoilers.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/134472/michael-myers-masks-ranked/

I knew someone would compile this so I didn't have to do it myself, but here's the evolution of the mask as the movies went on. The last two are Zombie ones, as you can probably figure out. The one with the eyebrows on the bottom left really irritated me looking at him.

Someone else wrote an article ranking them. I don't know why, but at least it points out the differences of the masks. It does have spoilers.

The one in the middle looks like sensitive, emo Michael.

The mask from part 6 is just terrible IMO. Really, none of them were all that great after 1 and 2. RZ's versions are probably the 3rd and 4th best.

One of the interesting about Halloween is that it doesn't have a red herring. You always know it's Myers going around killing people.

In proto-slashers, that is almost never the case. Psycho, Black Chrismas, Giallo films, they almost always have a red herring. This is because they evolved from Who Dun It detective stories.

But in Halloween, it's not about figuring out who the killer is -- its watching the kills. The red herring had already become rather obtuse in giallos, something that was there because it was convention rather than something that genuinelly added to the film. So Carpenter decided to sever that limb. His giallo movie The Eyes of Laura Mars had a red herring, for instance.

You see this trend come to dominate Slashers. Friday the 13th part 1 is "who is killing these teens?". Its sequels is watching Jason kill teens. Gradually, the crux of the film moves towards murder from mystery. Slashers grow farther and farther appart from its Who Dun It roots.

Last edited:
One of the interesting about Halloween is that it doesn't have a red herring. You always know it's Myers going around killing people.

In proto-slashers, that is almost never the case. Psycho, Black Chrismas, Giallo films, they almost always have a red herring. This is because they evolved from Who Dun It detective stories.

But in Halloween, it's not about figuring out who the killer is -- its watching the kills. The red herring had already become rather obtuse in giallos, something that was there because it was convention rather than something that genuinelly added to the film. So Carpenter decided to sever that limb. His giallo movie Thr Eyes of Laura Mars had a red herring, for instance.

You see this trend come to dominate Slashers. Friday the 13th part 1 is "who is killing these teens?". Its sequels is watching Jason kill teens. Gradually, the crux of the film moves towards murder from mystery. Slashers grow farther and farther appart from its Who Dun It roots.

Good description of Friday the 13th

I think if you asked most people they would tell you Jason is the killer in that movie even tho he isn't

Its pretty interesting how he has become such a mainstay in that franchise when it didn't even start with him

Hell he doesn't even put on his hockey mask for the first time until part 3 but if you ask anyone what Jason looks like they will all tell you about the hockey mask

It cant be coincidence that Friday The 13th and Halloween both have the same slow moving huge massive killer with a bladed weapon

Good description of Friday the 13th

I think if you asked most people they would tell you Jason is the killer in that movie even tho he isn't

Its pretty interesting how he has become such a mainstay in that franchise when it didn't even start with him

Hell he doesn't even put on his hockey mask for the first time until part 3 but if you ask anyone what Jason looks like they will all tell you about the hockey mask

Yeah. It seems that peoples perception of frachises are more dominated by pop culture iconography than the films themselves.

Yeah. It seems that peoples perception of frachises are more dominated by pop culture iconography than the films themselves.

@shadow_priest_x has a thread up asking about the next great slasher villain and I think you found the problem.

Its not about the movie or the kills or any of that stuff. People only care about the killer and how he/she looks. They all have something that makes them iconic

Freddy has his glove
Michael has his mask
Jason has the machete and hockey mask
Leatherface has the chainsaw

If you ask most people they wont be able to tell you any details of any of these films but they can all describe the killer and tell you the weapon of choice.

All these characters have become more popular than the movies they are in and that just doesn't happen anymore

It cant be coincidence that Friday The 13th and Halloween both have the same slow moving huge massive killer with a bladed weapon

F13 was made as a rip-off of Halloween. Just with the location changed.

Back