PC Sherdog Gaming Laptop & Review Thread (OP Updated Apr-2019)

I hadn't seen the MSI. I had intended to post about the new Gigabyte Aero a few days ago when I got caught up in posting about the new Apple chips and ditching Intel, and I still hadn't gotten around to reading it. Here was the headline that caught my eye:
Engadget > Gigabyte Aero 15X review: The best lightweight gaming laptop yet

It's 4.5 pounds.
8bb66296-7703-474e-b341-9891d6d81aef.png
Gigabyte-Aero-14-Coffee-Lake-2.png

nfiK0fa.png
I think it was the MSI, Gigabyte and the Dell XPS were featured in one of the videos that reviewed the new batch of laptops rocking the 8th gen intel. I just gravitated to MSI but those bezels on that Gigabyte! Goddamn. I just hate the webcam placement. Can't wait for Asus to up the ante as I still think that the Zephyrus is still the laptop to beat in the lightweight division, imo.

I just learned that the aero is $200 more expensive than MSI. Between the GS65 and the Zephyrus M, which would you pick?
I love the look of the Zephyrus. It's easily my personal favorite of the bunch in terms of sleek aesthetics.

@Madmick, a store here is selling a demo unit of alienware 17. 4910mq, 32gb ram, gtx 880m 8gb, 1 tb hdd and 256 gb ssd for the price of a gtx 1050 2 gb equipped laptop. A steal or no deal?

@Madmick, a store here is selling a demo unit of alienware 17. 4910mq, 32gb ram, gtx 880m 8gb, 1 tb hdd and 256 gb ssd for the price of a gtx 1050 2 gb equipped laptop. A steal or no deal?
MASSIVE Steal.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-880M-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050/m8540vs3650
The GTX 880M is roughly identical to the GTX 1050, and the additional VRAM means you won't run into some of today's AAA games where you have to nerf the resolution because otherwise there simply isn't enough VRAM to run the game.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4910MQ/m211019vsm9700
The i7-4910mq is only ~4% inferior to the i7-7700HQ which is what you'll find in the vast majority of GTX 1050 and other game-targeting laptops today.

Meanwhile, the 32GB RAM and SSD/HDD may all be about 10%-20% slower than what you'd get in a recent gamer laptop, but that's not much, not that important, and the sheer size of these components tends to account for more of their value in a laptop today than the speed of it. It's basically impossible to find a gamer-class laptop with a discrete GPU that also contains 16GB+ RAM and both an SSD/HDD for under $1K.

MASSIVE Steal.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-880M-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050/m8540vs3650
The GTX 880M is roughly identical to the GTX 1050, and the additional VRAM means you won't run into some of today's AAA games where you have to nerf the resolution because otherwise there simply isn't enough VRAM to run the game.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4910MQ/m211019vsm9700
The i7-4910mq is only ~4% inferior to the i7-7700HQ which is what you'll find in the vast majority of GTX 1050 and other game-targeting laptops today.

Meanwhile, the 32GB RAM and SSD/HDD may all be about 10%-20% slower than what you'd get in a recent gamer laptop, but that's not much, not that important, and the sheer size of these components tends to account for more of their value in a laptop today than the speed of it. It's basically impossible to find a gamer-class laptop with a discrete GPU that also contains 16GB+ RAM and both an SSD/HDD for under $1K.

Thanks for the input.
Im close on pulling the trigger but i don't think it has any warranty. We'll see.

Thanks for the input.
Im close on pulling the trigger but i don't think it has any warranty. We'll see.
Check if you have the option to purchase a third party warranty, because if you can, or if they'll sell one to you independently, then that's the best way to go. Why? Companies that make their money off of warranties aren't bilking you with that service as an afterthought; it's literally their business, so they care about it.

SquareTrade is the top company that does this for electronics, and their reputation is stellar for warranty service. The major computer companies' in-house warranty servicing have pitiful reputations by comparison.

Check if you have the option to purchase a third party warranty, because if you can, or if they'll sell one to you independently, then that's the best way to go. Why? Companies that make their money off of warranties aren't bilking you with that service as an afterthought; it's literally their business, so they care about it.

SquareTrade is the top company that does this for electronics, and their reputation is stellar for warranty service. The major computer companies' in-house warranty servicing have pitiful reputations by comparison.
The problem with 4 yr old laptops is that they probably ended hardware support for those models. Not as extreme as Apple but similar.

The problem with 4 yr old laptops is that they probably ended hardware support for those models. Not as extreme as Apple but similar.
Indeed, but that shouldn't be a huge deal because, considering where we are in the life cycle of the Windows OS right now, I don't think that laptop will be too old to be rolled out the Windows 11 firmware support, and even if the newer laptops go one OS further in terms of that kind of support, there's no way of knowing which OS Windows will use as a prerequisite cutoff for future DirectX (i.e. like they set DX12 as exclusive to Windows 10).

Nonetheless, definitely a valid consideration.

Hello all.

I’m thinking about buying a gaming laptop, though I am in the dark about what I’ll need for the games that I want to play.

I want to play Monster Hunter: World when it comes out in August, as well as GTA:V and WWE 2K18.

I’m looking to spend around £700 - £900 for a laptop, on finance.

I’d buy a regular PC but I live in a small studio flat with the GF and space is in short supply.

Thanks all.

The PS4 Pro is arguably the most powerful rig on the market right now, could save yourself a lot of cash by buying one over a pc.

Hello all.

I’m thinking about buying a gaming laptop, though I am in the dark about what I’ll need for the games that I want to play.

I want to play Monster Hunter: World when it comes out in August, as well as GTA:V and WWE 2K18.

I’d buy a regular PC but I live in a small studio flat with the GF and space is in short supply.

Thanks all.
This thread may be helpful
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/sherdog-official-gaming-laptop-review-thread-revised.3639903/

I'm going to suggest not buying it on finance. But it's your money.

The y520 is £750 and will handle those games fine.

The PS4 Pro is arguably the most powerful rig on the market right now, could save yourself a lot of cash by buying one over a pc.
It's a bargain for what TS wants, certainly. It's not going to be as powerful as a PC, but it will get the job done cheaper if he already has a TV.

If its simply a matter of space (and not travel), micro atx are roughly the size of a toaster and the smaller form factor gfx cards are almost identical to the full size cards. You'll have a much more powerful system than you will get with a laptop at that price point.

I got a gaming laptop 1.5 years ago and I love it.

I7 1060 6gb and it plays all my games at max settings in 1080p no problem.

Lately I have it hooked up to my TV via HDMI.

It plays most of my games at max in 4k, except the super intensive ones like gta5 and Witcher 3. But even then you're almost at max settings.

You should be able to get a 1070 in your budget.

Just do it, you won't regret it. It took me over a decade to talk myself into getting a gaming computer, and when I did I just wondered why didn't I do this sooner.

Its not, the Xbox 1 X is more powerful as a console.

As I understand it do to crypto mining graphic card prices are at an all time high, making it the worst time to build a PC or laptop.

Hello all.

Thanks all.
Here is Game Debate's page for Monster Hunter: World which is the most hardware-demanding game you named:
Monster Hunter: World hardware requirements
-- Unfortunately, the only laptop CPUs that currently best the i5-4670K in effective speed are the i7-8850H & i9-8950HK, but neither is yet out in any market product. Nonetheless, the below CPUs are well above the "Minimum" requirements.
-- It's predicting a GTX 1060 to satisfy "Recommended" GPU requirements.
-- 8GB RAM is required for "Recommended" settings.

You'll also want the laptops capable of the performance minimums I've suggested below if you want to satisfy the "Recommended" requirements for GTA V and WWE 2K18.

I found the Amazon UK "Laptop" bestselling list (unfortunately you don't have a "Gaming Laptop" subdirectory; your Amazon still trails the sophistication of our own):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/computers/429886031/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_computers_1_2_last

Sale on this 15.6" Asus GL503VM ROG Strix Hero Edition:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GL503...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=61CS6BXV7M1M7B81TR1A&th=1
£879*:
*Unfortunately, the sales have all been brought up, and £1035 is now the cheapest available price for a new unit of this model
51XYuN7KpLL.jpg

• 7th gen mobile i5 CPU (i5-7300HQ)
  • GTX 1060 6GB
  • 128GB SSD (OS/boot drive)
  • 1TB SSHD Firecuda (high performance game/media hybrid drive)
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM
  • G-Sync 120Hz 1080p IPS Display (eSport-class)
  • RGB Backlit Keyboard
Sale on this 17.3" Asus GL702VM model (i5 + GTX 1060 + 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD) & Mixed Reality Headset:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GL702...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=61CS6BXV7M1M7B81TR1A&th=1
£999.
  • 7th gen mobile i5 CPU (i5-7300HQ)
  • GTX 1060 6GB
  • 128GB SSD (OS/boot drive)
  • 1TB HDD (game/media drive)
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM
  • G-Sync 1080p IPS Display
  • Red Backlit Keyboard
  • HP Mixed Reality Headset (£320 a la carte)

I didn't check, but I suspect that both of those carry a second RAM slot, and also that there is a good chance this RAM slot is currently unfilled. So it should be possible to expand to 16GB (or even 32GB if you're willing to replace the free pre-installed stick). An 8GB laptop stick looks to run you £60-£85 depending on the specific stick. Also know the i5-7300HQ is only about 5% inferior to the i7-7700HQ in the Dell Inspiron below.

Otherwise, if you can't score that in time, your quoted price range doesn't quite cut it for your demands; looks to me like the bestselling gaming laptop model over there on the Amazon UK is the Dell Inspiron 7000 series. This series has more than half a dozen variants:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspi...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=61CS6BXV7M1M7B81TR1A&th=1
I would recommend the 15.5" Dell Inspiron 7577 model (i7-7700HQ + GTX 1060 6GB + 16GB RAM + 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD) for £1049 as the most sensible purchase here.

This is the longtime #1 bestselling king among gaming laptops on Amazon over here in the States-- the Acer Predator Helios 300:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Preda...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SMKYGB6W7KPQ1HVZNRSZ
Not bad. You forego the HDD above to net the lower price of £999. Incredibly high customer satisfaction rating, comparatively.
The Xbox One S 500GB is a mere £217 over there, and the almighty (among consoles) Xbox One X is £409.

Last edited: