PC Sherdog Gaming Laptop & Review Thread (OP Updated Apr-2019)

Thanks for that.

Question about the boldfaced part: I thought "out of stock" simply meant the seller had ran out of inventory units, not necessarily that the product was out of production. I have no idea if the Omen X 17 is not in production, but it is their flagship model, so unless sales haven't gone well, one would think it would be in production...
Yes, you're reading that correctly. "Out of Stock" typically means more stock is on the way, but one can't count on that with refurbs. They stop coming when they stop coming. The Omen X 17 line is a series, and this is just one model within its line.

I could be wrong, but I go off what is listed on the manufacturer's product page:
https://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/lapt...us/en/psg/omenxlaptop/hero-shop-now#!&tab=vao
Furthermore, the new 8th Gen 6-core Intel mobile processors are out, the 8750H in particular, and HP has the pull to get those orders. So my presumption was based upon the fact that not only is your model not listed among the current models, but also that HP would surely intend to maintain the cutting edge in their flagship line going forward.

Nevertheless, I took a closer look since you were curious, and this latest model line from the Omen X series (i.e. 17-ap0xx) appears to have been launched just this past February:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Omen-X-17-7820HK-GTX-1080-120-Hz-FHD-Laptop-Review.280650.0.html
That's definitely very recent, so it probably is in production, and considering how new it is, there's a very good chance that stock will be refreshed, I'd estimate.

Yes, you're reading that correctly. "Out of Stock" typically means more stock is on the way, but one can't count on that with refurbs. They stop coming when they stop coming. The Omen X 17 line is a series, and this is just one model within its line.

I could be wrong, but I go off what is listed on the manufacturer's product page:
https://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/lapt...us/en/psg/omenxlaptop/hero-shop-now#!&tab=vao
Furthermore, the new 8th Gen 6-core Intel mobile processors are out, the 8750H in particular, and HP has the pull to get those orders. So my presumption was based upon the fact that not only is your model not listed among the current models, but also that HP would surely intend to maintain the cutting edge in their flagship line going forward.

Nevertheless, I took a closer look since you were curious, and this latest model line from the Omen X series (i.e. 17-ap0xx) appears to have been launched just this past February:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Omen-X-17-7820HK-GTX-1080-120-Hz-FHD-Laptop-Review.280650.0.html
That's definitely very recent, so it probably is in production, and considering how new it is, there's a very good chance that stock will be refreshed, I'd estimate.

All clear. Thanks again!

I think the RAM thing is a typo. Every review I have read says it is expandable to 32GB. I posted a question in the page, so I guess I'll hear about it.
From the manual you wouldn't have thought that my HP envy was expandable at all, but it has a free slot that can take 8 gb. It's probably just poorly worded.

So guys, the Omen deal sold out and I missed out. This, however, seems like a fairly equivalent deal:

This is also a new model, and includes tax, for 1700. I haven't seen anything quite like this for this price on the market.

Any thoughts?

The links not working for me but I was able to see that it's one of the ROG STRIX laptops which is a very good lineup. I actually have one with a 1070. One thing I was curious about though was the price since I know mine was cheaper then that. I bought it roughly a year and a half ago when the 1070's first came out in laptops. It fills what I think are a lot of musts in a gaming laptop. Decent screen, Gsync, light up keys, decent keyboard and KB/M layout. I'm actually using it as my main platform right now since I'm in the middle of moving back to the states and my desktop is on a boat in the middle of the ocean somewhere. It runs everything fine, though my modded out TW:Warhammer 2 game on Mortal Empires is experiencing some long end turns.

As far as size goes it's the size of an average laptop. Not small like the ultra thins and not bulky like the higher end gaming laptops. For the price when I got mine there was definitely not any better deals around. You can't really go wrong with this choice.

I will make one other suggestion though if you have the money. What I was thinking I would do in the future is buy an ultra thin with a nice screen but maybe a weaker GPU like the 1050, and get one of those GPU docks to go with it. I'm not sure if that is easy to travel with or not if you are flying a lot, but if it is you can eek out a lot more power while having a laptop that is a lot more portable and usable on the go. Just a thought anyways. I haven't done a whole lot of research on the new GPU docks some I can't say if they do their job well or not.

The links not working for me but I was able to see that it's one of the ROG STRIX laptops which is a very good lineup. I actually have one with a 1070. One thing I was curious about though was the price since I know mine was cheaper then that. I bought it roughly a year and a half ago when the 1070's first came out in laptops. It fills what I think are a lot of musts in a gaming laptop. Decent screen, Gsync, light up keys, decent keyboard and KB/M layout. I'm actually using it as my main platform right now since I'm in the middle of moving back to the states and my desktop is on a boat in the middle of the ocean somewhere. It runs everything fine, though my modded out TW:Warhammer 2 game on Mortal Empires is experiencing some long end turns.

As far as size goes it's the size of an average laptop. Not small like the ultra thins and not bulky like the higher end gaming laptops. For the price when I got mine there was definitely not any better deals around. You can't really go wrong with this choice.

I will make one other suggestion though if you have the money. What I was thinking I would do in the future is buy an ultra thin with a nice screen but maybe a weaker GPU like the 1050, and get one of those GPU docks to go with it. I'm not sure if that is easy to travel with or not if you are flying a lot, but if it is you can eek out a lot more power while having a laptop that is a lot more portable and usable on the go. Just a thought anyways. I haven't done a whole lot of research on the new GPU docks some I can't say if they do their job well or not.

Thank you so much for such a thorough response. About your advice, the thing is that a dock plus a higher end card does come out as a considerably pricier unit. I could always get one of those. I move from region to region a lot, but I don't need this computer as a carry-along. I would use it a desktop replacement to last me for as long as possible. I have a separate, cheap, ulta-light functional laptop for daily work. This would be for in-home full fledged gaming.

Last edited:
Don't be sorry, it's something that Sherdog hasn't fixed. It's supposed to be a fancy affiliate link type thing.
Your adblocker is blocking it from showing (this is why I assumed adblockers were blocking the IMGUR embed from showing in that Mayberry thread where Beer flipped out at me, btw). If I turn off all my scriptblockers and adblockers the Amazon box shows up.

So guys, the Omen deal sold out and I missed out. This, however, seems like a fairly equivalent deal:

www.amazon.com/GL702VI-Gaming-Laptop-2-8GHz-Processor/dp/B078HRSQLW

This is also a new model, and includes tax, for 1700. I haven't seen anything quite like this for this price on the market.

Any thoughts?
Not sure if you spotted this, or how it affects your tax/shipping costs, but check out the Google Express link-- same laptop for $150 cheaper:
$1549
https://www.adorama.com/us 1006193.html

Only New Jersey and New York pay sales tax at Adorama, unlike Amazon where everyone pays, and it's one of the most trusted tech merchants on the web, and if you're in Los Angeles like your location says, then you have a sales tax of 9.50% or higher, so that means I just saved you another $162+ in sales tax for a total of at least $312 saved!

Holy cow, this is a strong value. I slapped together a comparable value-oriented desktop build, and it took $1350 (before shipping or taxes):
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vTJXYT
Looks like you lucked out bigtime when you missed that Omen sale.

Last edited:
Not sure if you spotted this, or how it affects your tax/shipping costs, but check out the Google Express link-- same laptop for $150 cheaper:
$1549
https://www.adorama.com/us 1006193.html

Only New Jersey and New York pay sales tax at Adorama, unlike Amazon where everyone pays, and it's one of the most trusted tech merchants on the web, so that should save you another $85-$160 in tax depending on your county rate unless you're unfortunate enough to live in one of those two.

Looks like you lucked out bigtime when you missed that Omen sale.

Thanks for that link! Strangely, the specs there read 60hz screen while the amazon model reads 120h... I wonder if it another typo.

Thanks for that link! Strangely, the specs there read 60hz screen while the amazon model reads 120h... I wonder if it another typo.
No, Amazon description reads as follows:
Amazon said:
  • Desktop-grade performance with Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor 2.8 GHz (6M Cache, up to 3.8 GHz) and GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
  • 17.3” Full HD Gaming wideview display with 60Hz refresh rate, G-SYNC, for smooth gameplay and fast response time
  • Powerful thermal design: cooled by dual-copper cooling system with heat pipes and dual 12V fans for CPU and GPU
  • Fast and expansive storage with a 256GB SATA3 SSD and 1TB 7200rpm HDD
  • Robust connectivity: 1x HDMI 2.0, 1x mini Displayport, SD Card Reader, 3x USB 3.0, 1x USB 3.1 Type C, 1x Headphone-out/audio in combo jack, 1x RJ45 LAN Port, 802.11ac WiFi 2x2, Bluetooth 4.1

They're both 60Hz panels. Same laptop. I just saved you $312+, dude!

• Amazon: GL702VI-MH72
  • Adorama: GL702VI-MH72

Last edited:
No, Amazon description reads as follows:

They're both 60Hz panels. Same laptop. I just saved you $312+, dude!

• Amazon: GL702VI-MH72
  • Adorama: GL702VI-MH72

You're right. I must have been tripping!

Ah! I just realized that the Adorama version is a used model! It doesn't include the 2y manufacturer warranty. New model goes for 1699, like the Amazon...

Ah! I just realized that the Adorama version is a used model! It doesn't include the 2y manufacturer warranty. New model goes for 1699, like the Amazon...
Arrgghhh! Too good to be true!

I tried, bro.

Arrgghhh! Too good to be true!

I tried, bro.

I know, alas!

Also, I figured out what was going on with the 120hz monitor. So, this model comes in two versions, a 60hz and a 120hz one. So...

www.amazon.com/GL702VI-Gaming-Laptop-2-8GHz-Processor/dp/B078HRSQLW

Any thoughts?
I was finally able to see it, and it has a 1080 and not a 1070 so that explains the price difference. That looks like the best all around package I think you are going to find. Especially at this price. I say go for this one.

Get one of those fans to sit it on too.

I was finally able to see it, and it has a 1080 and not a 1070 so that explains the price difference. That looks like the best all around package I think you are going to find. Especially at this price. I say go for this one.

Get one of those fans to sit it on too.

I could have sworn I saw the 1080 120h model available for 1698 until yday. But yeah this seems like a pretty solid deal indeed. I should probably still add warranty though...

I could have sworn I saw the 1080 120h model available for 1698 until yday. But yeah this seems like a pretty solid deal indeed. I should probably still add warranty though...
Yeah I'm not seeing anything under 2k with both a 1080 and 144hz. I see some with a 1070. I would probably go with the 1080 though since you plan to have an external monitor at home