Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's a SATA III, would it be better to get it in the regular form factor instead of M.2 because with the latter it will be sitting under my graphics card.
My M.2 is so close to my GPU I had to remove the card to get the SSD in and so far heat hasn't been an issue.

I'd go with something like this over that lenovo
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...1tb-hard-drive-silver/4826902.p?skuId=4826902

You'll get a smaller hard drive, no ssd, and less ram, but you have an upgrade path. The i5-3470 is on a dead platform. The one I listed you could upgrade to the newest processors later on.

Well if you want to keep your RAM, HDD and Case you could go this route.

Thanks fellas, I think I'll tinker around more with that "build it from the ground up" site but I'm seven plus years behind on new tech developments so I'm learning what matters now - with things like X gen vs Y gen processors, the mindblowing improvements of SSD vs HDDs, and the DDR3 vs DDR4 upgrades.

I built my own from scratch and it was top of the line all those years ago, but it set me back about 900 bucks after everything. Factoring in the additional cost of the OS to each of those suggestions adds another 100+ bucks for Win 10 Pro (I want to use Virtual Box) sets me over my limit, those costs are just hardware alone.

And I want to keep my old PC intact if I can, so I can give it to another family member to use it instead of having a few parts sitting around collecting dust. I'm also not sure I want to have a PC I need to upgrade soon because then we add another 300 bucks in a year or two, when I could just buy a newer PC in its entirety in a few years for $400. The cost of upgrading isn't worth it vs buying a pre-built machine right now for some reason.

I'm not looking for the best, just enough to run FO4 on high because I want to go to Maine to explore Fah Hahbah.

If anyone is looking for a GPU upgrade for under $200 Newegg has the G1 Gaming RX 480 4GB card on sale for the next couple days for $180.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814125907
You can get an Asus version for $166 on jet if you use the 15% code.
https://jet.com/product/detail/fbf0...:15&siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-vSyTcFEXybQhnT87NqtnXA

FE version for $150AR
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...sktopGraphicsCards-_-14137082-S0E&ignorebbr=1

Last edited:

That's a bad ass 1070. Mine isn't as impressive but I have no complaints, my 1070 has been running really well for me even in VR. It also has the LED lit MSI logo on the side.

600.png

AERO_LED-Effect_animation.gif

That's a bad ass 1070. Mine isn't as impressive but I have no complaints, my 1070 has been running really well for me even in VR. It also has the LED lit MSI logo on the side.

600.png

AERO_LED-Effect_animation.gif

Hows the cooler on your card?

Hows the cooler on your card?

So far so good. I haven't had any issues with over heating yet and I run it pretty hard, MMO's, single player games cranked to ultra, VR games, no problems but maybe I just got lucky and got a good card. Of course, since I've proclaimed it good it will melt this afternoon.

So far so good. I haven't had any issues with over heating yet and I run it pretty hard, MMO's, single player games cranked to ultra, VR games, no problems but maybe I just got lucky and got a good card. Of course, since I've proclaimed it good it will melt this afternoon.
Nice. I wondered how the other blower style coolers did. I know the NVidia coolers are not that good.

Nice. I wondered how the other blower style coolers did. I know the NVidia coolers are not that good.

Yea the MSI Afterburner overclocking tool helps because it has a variable fan speed control among other things. Its amazing to me though that after all these years the engineers designing these cards still don't seem to know what a good idea is and what a bad idea is. They might put out a card that cools like a beast and then the very next card after that, one that cools terribly. Makes you wonder how something like that happens.

Yea the MSI Afterburner overclocking tool helps because it has a variable fan speed control among other things. Its amazing to me though that after all these years the engineers designing these cards still don't seem to know what a good idea is and what a bad idea is. They might put out a card that cools like a beast and then the very next card after that, one that cools terribly. Makes you wonder how something like that happens.

In my field of work I deal with engineers a lot...so I'm not surprised when obvious mistakes are made.

i think im gonna be pulling the trigger on a Seahawk X 1080ti and a 2nd one later down the line

I just looked at buying a third RX 480 for my second build and was kinda shocked to see them at $400+ when I got mine for just over $200.

FUCKING LYING ASS RETAILERS!!! Sons of fucking bitches, there were suppose to be 1080Ti's coming TODAY! and the motherfuckers pushed 'em back to April 20th....:mad:

I'm at home for 4 days...then next week I'm off for 7 days....I am itching for a good GPU, I swear I might have to grab a 1080 instead...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back