Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

So I know just about nothing about PC hardware, but my shit is not keeping up with the new games. I am having huge FPS issues on games like COD BLOPS 4 even on mid to low settings. If I were to spend around $500 would that even help on this PC and if so what would you suggest I buy?

Motherboard AMD 970
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX950 2GB
Processor AMD FX-8350 CPU
Memory16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3

I was looking at new a new GPU, but like I said I know next to nothing and don't really know if that would be the best thing to buy.
In some quick google reading I think on that game your cpu is less of an issue than your gpu.

What psu do you have? Can you push a used 100.00 Craigslist 970?

If not a 480 should help a ton also.

For 500.00 with today’s prices if you want to build a newer style amd build you should be able to get ram, r3 2200 or r5 1600 mobo and a decent gpu.

I built (all used) r3/970 8gb ddr4 3k , ssd+ hdd case and psu for 350.00

I’ve since added 16gb ddr4 3.2k but that was new and not in the price list(but it was on sale for 150ish with rgb lol)

Madmick did an amazing 500.00 build on parts picked up higher in the thread iirc also.

In some quick google reading I think on that game your cpu is less of an issue than your gpu.

What psu do you have? Can you push a used 100.00 Craigslist 970?

If not a 480 should help a ton also.

For 500.00 with today’s prices if you want to build a newer style amd build you should be able to get ram, r3 2200 or r5 1600 mobo and a decent gpu.

I built (all used) r3/970 8gb ddr4 3k , ssd+ hdd case and psu for 350.00

I’ve since added 16gb ddr4 3.2k but that was new and not in the price list(but it was on sale for 150ish with rgb lol)

Madmick did an amazing 500.00 build on parts picked up higher in the thread iirc also.

PSU means power supply I assume. I have a 700 watt something.

Pretty sure I have slots for RAM. What is the lowest GPU I should go these days 1070?

PSU means power supply I assume. I have a 700 watt something.

Pretty sure I have slots for RAM. What is the lowest GPU I should go these days 1070?
With 700w you can push any single gpu no problem.

A 1070, especially a ti will be enough gpu for anything you want to do, especially if staying 1080p res.

A 1070 is 197% faster than your 950 and with your 8 core fx cpu should give you no problems playing what you are and last for a while before upgrading cpu , mobo and ram and the 1070 will still be hanging in there for a long time, until you want to go to 4K if ever.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-950-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/3510vs3609

But also like I mentioned you can just get a 100.00 used 970 from somewhere and slap it in, sell your 950 for 50.00 or so and be playing fine for a while.

With 700w you can push any single gpu no problem.

A 1070, especially a ti will be enough gpu for anything you want to do, especially if staying 1080p res.

A 1070 is 197% faster than your 950 and with your 8 core fx cpu should give you no problems playing what you are and last for a while before upgrading cpu , mobo and ram and the 1070 will still be hanging in there for a long time, until you want to go to 4K if ever.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-950-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/3510vs3609
awesome thanks. You don't think my 16 gb ram is a problem do you?

So I know just about nothing about PC hardware, but my shit is not keeping up with the new games. I am having huge FPS issues on games like COD BLOPS 4 even on mid to low settings. If I were to spend around $500 would that even help on this PC and if so what would you suggest I buy?

Motherboard AMD 970
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX950 2GB
Processor AMD FX-8350 CPU
Memory16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3

I was looking at new a new GPU, but like I said I know next to nothing and don't really know if that would be the best thing to buy.
You really need a new rig for COD BLOPs 4:
https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=35489&game=Call of Duty: Black Ops 4

Your CPU & GPU both already exceed the "minimum" requirements, but you don't find it satisfactory, and that's par for the course with gamers when one's hardware doesn't meet the "Recommended" settings, especially with first person shooters. You could turn everything down to the minimum, including the rendered resolution, most importantly, with 1440x900 the lowest offered, if I'm not mistaken, but then the game will end up looking like this...
04vou9x189m11.png
You can't meaningfully upgrade your system because the FX-8350 is already practically the best CPU in the AM3+ socket. Furthermore, it limits you to DDR3 RAM. While you have sufficient RAM that doesn't make it fast RAM that you want for this game.

Also be aware that while your 700W PSU is more than enough wattage to power any single GPU it may not be able to run any GPU if it only carries a 6-pin connector because some GPUs require 8-pins. Adapters are an inadvisable solution, but the only GPUs that require 8-pins tend to be monsters, so you will have plenty of GPU options with tons of horsepower. Still, it would be nice to know exactly what your PSU to be certain about these decisions.

All of that is the bad. The good is that you've found yourself need a new gaming PC when prices are the best they have been in 2 1/2 years.

Your PSU wattage indicates that it should still be relevant. That CPU isn't the type that was put into non-ATX prebuilds, either, so I suspect you have a case that you could recycle for your new build to spare that cost, too, but we need to know its form factor because that dictates which motherboards it supports. Your hard drives you can recycle, too, but you'll want to upgrade to an SSD for your OS/game drive with the new build if you don't have one. You can also recycle the optical drive (ex. DVD-RW) if you have one, and you really want to keep it, but those are out of fashion. Finally, you can pirate or go grey-key with Windows if you really want, but we can't help you with that on Sherdog beyond pointing you to resellers like Kingguin in name.

Without the burden of those costs I think we can build you a baller new PC for $500 tender. It will probably be a bit more, but not much.

Last edited:
You really need a new rig for COD BLOPs 4:
https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=35489&game=Call of Duty: Black Ops 4

Your CPU & GPU both already exceed the "minimum" requirements, but you don't find it satisfactory, and that's par for the course with gamers when one's hardware doesn't meet the "Recommended" settings, especially with first person shooters. You could turn everything down to the minimum, including the rendered resolution, most importantly, with 1440x900 the lowest offered, if I'm not mistaken, but then the game will end up looking like this...
04vou9x189m11.png
You can't meaningfully upgrade your system because the FX-8350 is already practically the best CPU in the AM3+ socket. Furthermore, it limits you to DDR3 RAM. While you have sufficient RAM that doesn't make it fast RAM that you want for this game.

Also be aware that while your 700W PSU is more than enough wattage to power any single GPU it may not be able to run any GPU if it only carries a 6-pin connector because some GPUs require 8-pins. Adapters are an inadvisable solution, but the only GPUs that require 8-pins tend to be monsters, so you will have plenty of GPU options with tons of horsepower. Still, it would be nice to know exactly what your PSU to be certain about these decisions.

All of that is the bad. The good is that you've found yourself need a new gaming PC when prices are the best they have been in 2 1/2 years.

Your PSU wattage indicates that it should still be relevant. That CPU isn't the type that was put into non-ATX prebuilds, either, so I suspect you have a case that you could recycle for your new build to spare that cost, too, but we need to know its form factor because that dictates which motherboards it supports. Your hard drives you can recycle, too, but you'll want to upgrade to an SSD for your OS/game drive with the new build if you don't have one. You can also recycle the optical drive (ex. DVD-RW) if you have one, and you really want to keep it, but those are out of fashion. Finally, you can pirate or go grey-key with Windows if you really want, but we can't help you with that on Sherdog beyond pointing you to resellers like Kingguin in name.

Without the burden of those costs I think we can build you a baller new PC for $500 tender. It will probably be a bit more, but not much.
I don’t have the game, and I googled it a little earlier but it seems to be more gpu than cpu reliant.

Seems like his 8 core, will hang with a stronger gpu, for the meantime.

Personally I’d throw in a 100.00 970 or 150.00 980ti from the used market and play it a bit more. While figuring out my next build steps.

But with a 500.00 budget and he already has case , psu and hdd a cpu/mobo ssd and new gpu should not be hard at all to do @ 500.00 and have a banging rig.

With a 1060 and fx cpu

With 480

I don’t have the game, and I googled it a little earlier but it seems to be more gpu than cpu reliant.

Seems like his 8 core, will hang with a stronger gpu, for the meantime.

Personally I’d throw in a 100.00 970 or 150.00 980ti from the used market and play it a bit more. While figuring out my next build steps.

But with a 500.00 budget and he already has case , psu and hdd a cpu/mobo ssd and new gpu should not be hard at all to do @ 500.00 and have a banging rig.
It does. These vids are promising. They suggest hitting the CPU minimum is the target, and after that GPU investment is key. That's beta footage, too, and the beta usually has worse performance. The 8350 is slightly OC'd in the top vid, to 4.1 GHz, and it's hitting 100%, but the fps is really good (also in the stock video). At the very least, he could try ordering his GPU first, and see if he can get framerates close to these. If it works, no need to buy more than he needs. If not, then he already has a GPU for his new build, and can go from there.

It could also be a matter of settings tweaks and driver updates. Worth a rundown. Nice checklist here:
https://www.gamingscan.com/best-settings-for-call-of-duty-black-ops-4/

Cross your fingers, I’ve cleaned up the neoserver and am about to bench start it.

Digging around in attic for ps/2 keyboards and mice we are about to see what’s up.

Then figure out which emulation front end I might be able to run on it, and how in the hell I’ll load it on there since it has no usb.

An Alienware ad from a January 99 PC mag:

EjSIJjF.jpg

<mma4>

I'm finally finishing up a home theater in my peep's basement of their final home (they be old). There is still some touching up to do and the chairs haven't arrived but soon I will be able game and watch movies in glory when I stay over. All in all they spent about 10k, but the projector, screen, and 5.1.2 audio setup was under 6k. The chairs were fuckin 4k! That's what happens when my mother has access to a credit card. They are Palliser which is a good Canadian brand but they are so fucking overpriced.

Anyways, the sound is pretty good and pretty damn loud and the perfectly mounted height speakers (dolby specs) really fill the room. I went for HSU Research speakers and the same Sony receiver I have. HSU is underrated as fuck and I only learned about them through true audiophiles at AVSForums. The projector is the Epson 5040ub which is also a solid mid-tier performer.

I will definitely be bringing my PS4 Pro over to game the fuck out.

Prepare for an onslaught of images...

UNFINISHED STATE (I bought the hardware well in advance)
zrGrYR9.jpg

NEARLY FINISHED STATE (I wanted to do all black everything but wasn't able to convince but at least there is a dark blue rug in front, even if it's lumpy now)
IYoGJtZ.png

PROJECTOR AND HEIGHT SPEAKERS FOR ATMOS/DTS-X (You can tell that I installed them myself because they are crooked)
KAW0KVX.jpg

THE GANG BOX (this was a fuckin bitch to install and I will never use bananna plugs again, at least not if I have to assemble them myself)
WDwqngV.jpg

FINISHED GANG BOX
Nji87zYh.jpg

Last edited:
Handy reference:

q5cpa3d9n8321.png

Reddit said:
  • u.2 practically doesn't exist in the consumer market
  • PCIe AIC are pretty much dead and gone at this point in the consumer market
  • You can tell m.2 SSDs apart via the second notch in SATA SSDs
  • Not all NVMe is created equal (some aren't any faster than SATA overall), though getting rid of the SATA bottleneck helps most of them
  • m.2 NVMe can be used like PCIe NVMe with the help of an adapter card

so maybe you guys can help me out here. got my rx 570 in the mail today. installed it but i keep getting the following when i check it in my device manager: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

now ive uninstalled amd catalyst software, uninstalled the driver, re-installed, uninstalled, dowloaded DDU, rebooted into safe mode, deleted amd drivers from there, boot back into win10, update drivers but im still getting the damed error and its driving me absolutely fucking nuts. the only thing i can think of is that i didnt delete my old radeon 5670 HD drivers before putting the rx 570. could it be as simple as that?

so maybe you guys can help me out here. got my rx 570 in the mail today. installed it but i keep getting the following when i check it in my device manager: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

now ive uninstalled amd catalyst software, uninstalled the driver, re-installed, uninstalled, dowloaded DDU, rebooted into safe mode, deleted amd drivers from there, boot back into win10, update drivers but im still getting the damed error and its driving me absolutely fucking nuts. the only thing i can think of is that i didnt delete my old radeon 5670 HD drivers before putting the rx 570. could it be as simple as that?
Yes, you need to delete/uninstall the old drivers. Otherwise the system is confused because it isn't sure which drivers to use, and likely defaults to the previously working state (i.e. the old drivers). If you still see the old drivers under "Display Adapters" you need to get rid of it, but DDU should have identified the Radeon 5670 drivers and removed them during cleanup.

Didn't you say you got this card incredible cheap? Is it a refurb? Could have been modified for cryptomining:
https://community.amd.com/thread/234556
Had this problem, in my case it's a bit different, I got a 2nd card, and it probably was used for crypto currencies mining. It turn out the bios of the card is modified, so AMD's driver no longer work with it, all I have to do is flash the original bios came from the manufacturer. You guys can find guides online on how to flash GPU bios, for AMD you need ATI flash which can be found here: Download AMD/ATI ATIFlash | TechPowerUp and the original bios of your card can be found on here VGA Bios Collection | TechPowerUp , remember you need the exact one for your card configuration, include series (ARMOR, OC, ROG, etc...), card manufacturer, GPU, memory capacity, memory manufacturer. You can search on google if can't find it on the website linked above. Good luck.

Thanks @Madmick It seems flashing the bios did the trick. i guess it was used for mining. I read that the BIOS could be the culprit but i was just soo fed up I didn't even wanna try flashing it (even though it was probably the preferred route)

I paid something lik $23 out of pocket. Purchased through amazon warehouse which was offering a 20% discount at checkout. I dont have Prime anymore so that was an additional $9 off of S/H. and with the money ive made through mTurk and Swagbucks and Screenwise trends, it was a no brainer.

Well. I got the video card "working" but now it seems anytime I try to play ANY game it causes my system to crash and go to a black screen.

Fml I should have bought new.

@Madmick

970 or 1050ti?

I have a friend who always for some strange reason ask me about PC related stuff. When in fact I´m not that aware in this department. lol

What should my answer be?

edit: both second hand in good condition and MSI. 970 is 900 SEK and 1050ti is 1000SEK.

Last edited:
@Madmick

970 or 1050ti?

I have a friend who always for some strange reason ask me about PC related stuff. When in fact I´m not that aware in this department. lol

What should my answer be?

edit: both second hand in good condition and MSI. 970 is 900 SEK and 1050ti is 1000SEK.
A 970 STOMPS on a 1050 Ti, I have both cards in two different pc’s.

It’s not even close. But they aren’t in the same class of card anyway.

The 1050 ti is newer, so might might last longer but that would be only benifit if at all.

1050’s are made for people whose power supplies can’t push a 70 series or need a smaller card to fit their case.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/2577vs3649

Back