Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Dizzamn. That's a baller setup. What's the SSD giving you that hubba hubba instaboot? 2.5" or m.2?
2.5" Kingston, 240GB with a 540 MB/S read and a 350 MB/S write.

Night and day difference between my old machine (7850 with a Phenom II x4 Black 965 and just a 7200 RPM HDD) and this. New rig makes me Antonio Banderas.gif every time I boot lol.

I went with an i5-7600K and a 1070 8gb.
That's what I got as well, with a 256 SSD. Everything has been silky smooth until yesterday when a game stuttered briefly for the first time. I was almost pissed until I realized a Windows update got installed while I was playing, lol.

I'm thinking of adding a second monitor, tbh.

what kind of monitor are you using? Not dumb 1080p
spab72110.jpg

Who can explain the basics of a central harddrive on your
network ?
I believe they call it a NAS ?
Heard about these disks can be accesed by someone
through the internet.
Is it easy to set the disk on 'my network only' ?

network ?
through the internet.

A NAS is network added storage. You can set one up and add storage for your home network and it is not that hard. You can also simply turn on your Network Discovery and Network File and Printer sharing on your PC and any drive connected to it can be accessed by other devices on you home network.

Access through the internet can get dicey if you don't set up proper protections.

What are you looking to do?

Last edited:
network ?
through the internet.
Does your current router have a USB port on it? If it does, the quick and easy way is to add a portable hard drive to it.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/pc-sales-dropped-16-year-over-year-june-overwatch-2016-f2p-p2p/
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/lol-w...ayerunknowns-battlegrounds-still-doing-great/
adsdasdas.jpg

SuperData-Top-10-Digital-Games-May-2017.png

I didn't realize what a juggernaut Overwatch has become on the PC. It's already out-earning CS:GO. I figured its console presence would be larger, but no. I think that probably has to do with its eSports presence:
Overwatch has surpassed 30 million registered players

I suppose it's even more crazy to see to that Crossfire, Fantasy Westward Journey Online II, and Dungeon Fighter Online are all more lucrative than World of Warcraft and DOTA 2. That's sort of mindblowing. One can never overlook or underestimate those Asian markets.
I'm thinking of adding a second monitor, tbh.
Do you need a second monitor? Those are great for monitoring Twitch uploads if you do that; you can see an image of the stream. Alternative uses might be keeping open programs monitoring hardware health, or game performance. Some keep chat boxes opens. If you don't do any of that stuff, then investing in a 1440p or 1080p/1440p Ultrawide monitor, preferably G-sync, might be worth looking into. The GTX 1070 has the power to go beyond 1080p, but doesn't have quite enough to make it to 4K.

Besides, if you choose this more expensive alternative option emphasizing a different strategy of focus for your personal satisfaction, then you'll still have two screens.

Last edited:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/pc-sales-dropped-16-year-over-year-june-overwatch-2016-f2p-p2p/
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/lol-w...ayerunknowns-battlegrounds-still-doing-great/
adsdasdas.jpg

SuperData-Top-10-Digital-Games-May-2017.png

I didn't realize what a juggernaut Overwatch has become on the PC. It's already out-earning CS:GO. I figured its console presence would be larger, but no. I think that probably has to do with its eSports presence:
Overwatch has surpassed 30 million registered players

I suppose it's even more crazy to see to that Crossfire, Fantasy Westward Journey Online II, and Dungeon Fighter Online are all more lucrative than World of Warcraft and DOTA 2. That's sort of mindblowing. One can never overlook or underestimate those Asian markets.

Do you need a second monitor? Those are great for monitoring Twitch uploads if you do that; you can see an image of the stream. Alternative uses might be keeping open programs monitoring hardware health, or game performance. Some keep chat boxes opens. If you don't do any of that stuff, then investing in a 1440p or 1080p/1440p Ultrawide monitor, preferably G-sync, might be worth looking into. The GTX 1070 has the power to go beyond 1080p, but doesn't have quite enough to make it to 4K.

Besides, if you choose this more expensive alternative option emphasizing a different strategy of focus for your personal satisfaction, then you'll still have two screens.

World of tanks?!

I'm amazed that WoW is still going strong after all these years.

World of tanks?!
I have a few friends that play it. I don't see the appeal in it either, but to each their own. I've never even heard of Fantasy Westward Journey 2.

I have a few friends that play it. I don't see the appeal in it either, but to each their own. I've never even heard of Fantasy Westward Journey 2.

i play war thunder tanks

World of tanks?!
Yeah, I'm not sure what microtransactions generate their revenue, and they're a F2P game that isn't on Steam, so it's easy to overlook, but that game is huge. It's currently ranked #8 on Newzoo's 20 Most Played Core PC Titles (US & Europe), and it always ranks in their Top 10 eSports (globally) viewing hours on Twitch, too:
https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-20-core-pc-games/
https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-games-twitch/
It's probably less profitable per gamer because going back five years it has arguably the largest player base in the world-- even larger than League of Legends:
World of Tanks tops League of Legends with 45 million players (Dec-2012)
With 140 million players fueling World of Tanks, where does it trundle next? (Mar-2016)

Forever the king of a la carte paid subscriptions. Apparently they got back up to 10.1m active subscriptions on the back of Legion last October, too, although the new in-game gold buy-in option obfuscates how many are paying subscriptions.
I hadn't either before I saw that chart. That tells you something. I'm not happy what it tells me. I've already been pissed off by what it's done to my movies with hackneyed Drunken Kung Fu master bullshit disgracing my beloved Star Wars. #1, #3, and #6 have wildly different ideas about what gaming should be, obviously:
https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-100-countries-by-game-revenues/
gy0Rcj.png

Yeah, I'm not sure what microtransactions generate their revenue, and they're a F2P game that isn't on Steam, so it's easy to overlook, but that game is huge. It's currently ranked #8 on Newzoo's 20 Most Played Core PC Titles (US & Europe), and it always ranks in their Top 10 eSports (globally) viewing hours on Twitch, too:
https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-20-core-pc-games/
https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-games-twitch/
It's probably less profitable per gamer because going back five years it has arguably the largest player base in the world-- even larger than League of Legends:
World of Tanks tops League of Legends with 45 million players (Dec-2012)
With 140 million players fueling World of Tanks, where does it trundle next? (Mar-2016)

Forever the king of a la carte paid subscriptions. Apparently they got back up to 10.1m active subscriptions on the back of Legion last October, too, although the new in-game gold buy-in option obfuscates how many are paying subscriptions.

I hadn't either before I saw that chart. That tells you something. I'm not happy what it tells me. I've already been pissed off by what it's done to my movies with hackneyed Drunken Kung Fu master bullshit disgracing my beloved Star Wars. #1, #3, and #6 have wildly different ideas about what gaming should be, obviously:
https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-100-countries-by-game-revenues/
gy0Rcj.png
Donnie Yen was fucking awesome in that movie. It showed you don't need a light saber to be a bad ass force user.
How salty are you going to be when Mara Jade and her light whip show up?

2.5" Kingston, 240GB with a 540 MB/S read and a 350 MB/S write.

250gig M.2 2280 Samsung 960 Evo with a 3200mbps read and a 1500mbps write : )~

On a serious note. While the difference in read/write on paper is massive. The increased speeds are underutilized which i knew going in. Only reason i bought it is for my motherboard had the m.2 slot, price was the same as an standard sata based SSD and two less cables i need to run.

What i'll be checking in on for my next Pc build is Intel Optanes technology with HDD's.

250gig M.2 2280 Samsung 960 Evo with a 3200mbps read and a 1500mbps write : )~

On a serious note. While the difference in read/write on paper is massive. The increased speeds are underutilized which i knew going in. Only reason i bought it is for my motherboard had the m.2 slot, price was the same as an standard sata based SSD and two less cables i need to run.

What i'll be checking in on for my next Pc build is Intel Optanes technology with HDD's.

I love the form factor of m.2 as well. I'm using a 512gb Evo 960 in my main build and a 250gb 850 Evo m.2 in a htpc. I'm not going back to 2.5" ssd's and I haven't ran spinning shit since the 840's were released.

I'm not going back to 2.5" ssd's and I haven't ran spinning shit since the 840's were released.

Intels Optane m.2 chip makes your primary HDD perform like an SSD.

Like you i see zero need to go back to a sata based SSD's. Wouldnt be surprised if they were relegated to external HDD status in the coming years.

Intels Optane m.2 chip makes your primary HDD perform like an SSD.

Like you i see zero need to go back to a sata based SSD's. Wouldnt be surprised if they were relegated to external HDD status in the coming years.

Yeah, the Intel Optane is definitely interesting. The expensive PCIe one that works as system ram and storage is the one to pay attention to. Eventually the price will trickle down to mainstream levels. It will be awesome to have your ram and storage in one board. There's a 1.5tb version coming out soon, or may already be out.

I use a couple of old 60gb Patriot ssd's in external enclosures. They're great because I don't lose them. I bet I have 10 USB sticks from over the years floating around in my house.

I'll never go back to mechanicals. I might pick up an Optane if I see it for cheap just to mess around with. I'm disappointed that they won't with Pentiums though.
I don't need to store anything and I have fiber so 512gb is enough for me. I could get away with a 250gb atm.

Back