Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Sata based SSD's will be relegated to the third option of primary storage in the immediate future. Intels M.2 learning ram make sata HDD's perform at sata SSD speeds. This will be eventually turn sata SSD's to the extended storage peripheral market like external HDD's.
Your literally ranting about something I don't need and don't want to spend money on (M2 isn't even top 5 on my list of PC parts on my priority list ).

I have plenty of storage, Windows boots fast, and my games run highest settings with my current CPU

I don't understand how me holding out a year for canonlake turned into a discussion about a hard drive that I don't want or need....... ????

Your literally ranting about something I don't need and don't want to spend money on

I wish games where more demanding so I could upgrade my 5 year old i7 3770K.

When your CPU/GPU are fine thats when you upgrade the peripherals to modern or next generation technology. Extending that items lifespan in some cases five to ten years.

I built my Pc CPU/motherboard/ram three years ago this month. Current chipset performance to price ranges have it so i wont need to build another till around 2020. That meant in July i replaced my PSU from 2006, two high cfm fans ive owned since 2004 and first generation sata SSD's i bought in 2011. Those three newer items should last till 2030.

This is how you properly build gaming Pc's.

When your CPU/GPU are fine thats when you upgrade the peripherals to modern or next generation technology. Extending that items lifespan in some cases five to ten years.

I built my Pc CPU/motherboard/ram three years ago this month. Current chipset performance to price ranges have it so i wont need to build another till around 2020. That meant in July i replaced my PSU from 2006, two high cfm fans ive owned since 2004 and first generation sata SSD's i bought in 2011. Those three newer items should last till 2030.

This is how you properly build gaming Pc's.
I see what your saying but my CPU will hit the wall before my peripherals regardless so I don't see why its being brought up (your basically telling me to worry about something I don't need and something that can easily wait till my next build). My current SSD is perfectly find in terms of reliability and performance, im not concerned.

Canonlake/Zen 2 is a perfect time for a new CPU. Games will be more demanding and I won't have to worry about bottlenecking a highend Volta card

I think the point you where trying to make would of been more applicable if my CPU was better. If I was running a 6 core sandy or ivy bridge then that would make more sense (I would of technically had the raw horsepower power to go another 4 to 6 years but I would of missed out on m2 becoming more mainstream).

Last edited:
Oooh, and they don't even charge you shipping. Cool, thanks.
So, an update on this: three and a half weeks later and the bracket hasn't shown up. I've got a pile of ~$600 worth of computer parts sitting around that I can't do anything with without the fucking thing. I wanted to just say "fuck it" and return the whole stack but newegg doesn't accept returns on processors or motherboards even if the boxes are unoppened. So I'm stuck with a bunch of shit I've totally soured on. Looks like I need to go and find a cooler with a bracket in the box because I'm not going through this bullshit again.

Sata based SSD's will be relegated to the third option of primary storage in the immediate future. Intels M.2 learning ram make sata HDD's perform at sata SSD speeds. This will be eventually turn sata SSD's to the extended storage peripheral market like external HDD's.

Intel Optane memory can speed up HDD, but of course this is for the files that are used the most. Simply like a larger cache. Thing is for everyday tasks you don't see a difference in the speeds of a sata SSD and a M.2 SSD. With the heat issues that M.2 drives can experience, depending on location on the motherboard, I like the sata drives better at this point.

In the end up grading from a sata SSD to a M.2 is pretty pointless. More so if that is going to require an motherboard upgrade.

Intel Optane memory can speed up HDD, but of course this is for the files that are used the most. Simply like a larger cache. Thing is for everyday tasks you don't see a difference in the speeds of a sata SSD and a M.2 SSD. With the heat issues that M.2 drives can experience, depending on location on the motherboard, I like the sata drives better at this point.

In the end up grading from a sata SSD to a M.2 is pretty pointless. More so if that is going to require an motherboard upgrade.
The PCIe version is the interesting Optane product. They're 375gb and you can allocate parts towards system memory. The read/writes aren't any better than what we have now, but they're supposed to last a lot longer.

My cryorig bracket finally showed up. I'm typing this from my new build! But not without issues. Ohhhh, the issues. This is really my fault for not doing thorough research, but turns out Win7 and AM4 do not get along. There's no USB drivers active during installation so if you don't have a PS/2 keyboard you are shit-outta-luck. Thankfully I had one floating around and managed to do the install (old one wouldn't boot; not surprised considering virtually every piece of hardware has changed). I then needed to activate mouse-keys in order to run the driver install disk. Gigantic pain in the ass.

I thought the headaches would be over after I had everything installed and updated. Oh, was I wrong there. Unbeknownst to me, Windows Update will no longer run with an AM4 chip installed because, hey, fuck everybody who doesn't want to upgrade to Win10.

I'm typing this from my new build! But not without issues.

Chances are the USB ports on your mobo are 3.0. Windows 7 installation disk doesnt support USB 3.0. Learned that one the hard way in 2014 myself : (

My cryorig bracket finally showed up. I'm typing this from my new build! But not without issues. Ohhhh, the issues. This is really my fault for not doing thorough research, but turns out Win7 and AM4 do not get along. There's no USB drivers active during installation so if you don't have a PS/2 keyboard you are shit-outta-luck. Thankfully I had one floating around and managed to do the install (old one wouldn't boot; not surprised considering virtually every piece of hardware has changed). I then needed to activate mouse-keys in order to run the driver install disk. Gigantic pain in the ass.

I thought the headaches would be over after I had everything installed and updated. Oh, was I wrong there. Unbeknownst to me, Windows Update will no longer run with an AM4 chip installed because, hey, fuck everybody who doesn't want to upgrade to Win10.

Check out a program called NTLite. It will allow you to create a Windows 7 .iso with the AMD drivers included. That will allow you to use the keyboard/mouse during your Windows install.
It's a great tool if you wipe your system often as well. You can add in the Service Packs, updates, etc.

Chances are the USB ports on your mobo are 3.0. Windows 7 installation disk doesnt support USB 3.0. Learned that one the hard way in 2014 myself : (
It's got a pair of 2.0 but even those aren't active during the install. I read a little about it and it has to do with the chipset. But since I had already muddled around it with an ancient Dell keyboard I didn't really read too deep into it.
Check out a program called NTLite. It will allow you to create a Windows 7 .iso with the AMD drivers included. That will allow you to use the keyboard/mouse during your Windows install.
It's a great tool if you wipe your system often as well. You can add in the Service Packs, updates, etc.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Can someone educate me on hard drives?

My motherboard spec says:
2x m.2 slots, supports pcie 3.0 x4
Supports nvme with turbo u.2 host card

Does this mean I need this host card for the newest drives?

Is it worth it over normal m.2 pcie x4?

Last edited:
Can someone educate me on hard drives?

My motherboard spec says:
2x m.2 slots, supports pcie 3.0 x4
Supports nvme with turbo u.2 host card

Does this mean I need this host card for the newest drives?

Is it worth it over normal m.2 pcie x4?

TLDW: That "Supports nvme with turbo u.2 host card" is to use an SSD with a U.2 connection, it's enterprise level stuff so forget it exists. M.2 and 2.5" SSD's are the same speed, just a different connector like micro vs mini usb. NVME is in the same form factor as m.2, but it's faster and more expensive.
What cpu and mobo are you using atm? Are you using an SSD currently?

Last edited:
Upgraded my home theatre receiver from a 10 year old yamaha to the Sony STRDN1080. It's supposed to sound explosive and punchy as fuck which should be awesome for shooters but fuck me, is it turning into chore.

It took me 20min to hook all the wires and cables up because of the cramped placement of my receiver and the complicated terminals it has. Now I'm waiting on a 15min update. After that I need to auto calibrate and of course I wont be happy with it so Ill need to figure out all the ins and outs of the settings so I can tweak it to near perfection.

So much work and no play.

Just upgraded from a poverty gtx 560ti to a gtx 1080ti
A 60hz monitor to 144hz
And a 600w psu to 750

Hope my computer doesn't blow up
That is a hell of a jump.

That is a hell of a jump.

The 1080ti is so big it didn't even fit in my old case. I was fortunate to get a hand me down case from a friend who upgrades every year and always has $1k+ in extra parts. I originally built in 2012, now I feel like this build should last another 5+ years.

The 1080ti is so big it didn't even fit in my old case. I was fortunate to get a hand me down case from a friend who upgrades every year and always has $1k+ in extra parts. I originally built in 2012, now I feel like this build should last another 5+ years.

It's a solid card for 1080p but not the true 4K card it was advertised as. That said, there is a real lack of AAA 3D games releasing these days so it's all pretty moot. All the most graphically demanding games I have are 1-3 years old.

New Scrapyard Wars is up. Jay and Luke vs Linus and Dmitri.

So, whats the speculation on when GPUs and memory are coming back down in price? Those are the two things I didn't bother upgrading (sort of- I got a 1060 3gb for virtually nothing when a friend upgraded).

So, whats the speculation on when GPUs and memory are coming back down in price? Those are the two things I didn't bother upgrading (sort of- I got a 1060 3gb for virtually nothing when a friend upgraded).

GPU prices are starting to come back down at this point. As for RAM, plan on memory staying high for the foreseeable future as companies that make the chips continue to also work on SSD technology.

Back