PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

So, whats the speculation on when GPUs and memory are coming back down in price? Those are the two things I didn't bother upgrading (sort of- I got a 1060 3gb for virtually nothing when a friend upgraded).
1070s recently dropped down to the low 400 mark and will be under 400 once the 1070ti comes out next month. 1060 6GB are finally dropping under 300. Ram prices won't drop till next year

I've built 13 pc's this year and made the same damn mistake on each one. I wired the front panel wrong each time but in several different ways. Am I retarded or is this a common problem?

I've built 13 pc's this year and made the same damn mistake on each one. I wired the front panel wrong each time but in several different ways. Am I retarded or is this a common problem?

You are not retarded. Everyone who has ever built a PC screwed this up more times then they get right.

A third of the motherboard manuals I've come across are lazy as fuck about actually labeling the individual front panel cable motherboard ports accurately (ASRock in particular).

There's really no reason the mobo manufacturers can't get together and figure out a standard pin layout. Some higher end boards come with an adapter. It's really nice being able to put all those cables together in the open rather than trying the 50/50 success or bend a pin.
g-connector.jpg

@legkicktko
We need a little more info to point you in the right direction. Are you familiar with the differences between mechanical and membrane keyboards? What's your budget?
Are you looking for a keyboard that has the number pad or one without? Do you want multimedia controls such as volume up/down? Do you want backlit keys?
As for choosing a brand, you can't go wrong with Corsair or Logitech.

I'm still not sure if I want a pc with a window or not.
I'm buying a lot of LED stuff like motherboard and videocard.
But it can be distracting

I will go full Asus Strix 1070 and mb.
2x8 mb DDR4 ram costs 190 Euro now, really high imo
I have a low end h110 Asus motherboard and in their software, AI suite, I can turn off the lights.

In the bios ? I never like to mess around there.

Don't be scared of the BIOS. It's your rig, play around with everything. That is how you learn. So you will be in the Windows Registry adding functions...and that is when the fun begins.

There's really no reason the mobo manufacturers can't get together and figure out a standard pin layout. Some higher end boards come with an adapter. It's really nice being able to put all those cables together in the open rather than trying the 50/50 success or bend a pin.
g-connector.jpg

Real men just deal with their reset and power button being switched for the first few weeks.

@Madmick @jefferz @GhostZ06 @TSO or anyone else....

Okay gentlemen, give me your thoughts on the AMD Athlon X4 950. I'm thinking of getting that for my son, along with a motherboard, 8 GB RAM, and an SSD for X-mas. He wants to build his own PC and he will get my power supply and GPU when I upgrade.

@Madmick @jefferz @GhostZ06 @TSO or anyone else....

Okay gentlemen, give me your thoughts on the AMD Athlon X4 950. I'm thinking of getting that for my son, along with a motherboard, 8 GB RAM, and an SSD for X-mas. He wants to build his own PC and he will get my power supply and GPU when I upgrade.

I'm basing all this off of the personal preference of an ssd only system, no mechanical hard drive, should at least have a 250gb SSD.
I would ditch the SSD for spinning rust and put that money towards a better cpu. An SSD will help a ton, but I think a better processor would be the better value. A cheap 250gb ssd is $80, you can pick up a WD Cavier Green 1TB for $50. Apply that $30 savings towards a better processor. The R3 1200 goes on sale for $100-105 semi often, you have 2 months to watch for a sale.
I know it's more money than what you anticipated, but I think the changes would really be beneficial. Add an SSD down the road.

Here's a video with gaming benchmarks with the x4 950, R3 1200, and G4600. Both AMD chips have stock and oc'd results. The R3 1200 handily stomps the x4 950, a lot of cases it's double the fps.

Last edited:
I'm basing all this off of the personal preference of an ssd only system, no mechanical hard drive, should at least have a 250gb SSD.
I would ditch the SSD for spinning rust and put that money towards a better cpu. An SSD will help a ton, but I think a better processor would be the better value. A cheap 250gb ssd is $80, you can pick up a WD Cavier Green 1TB for $50. Apply that $30 savings towards a better processor. The R3 1200 goes on sale for $100-105 semi often, you have 2 months to watch for a sale.
I know it's more money than what you anticipated, but I think the changes would really be beneficial. Add an SSD down the road.

Here's a video with gaming benchmarks with the x4 950, R3 1200, and G4600. Both AMD chips have stock and oc'd results. The R3 1200 handily stomps the x4 950, a lot of cases it's double the fps.

Well I was going to go with a 120 GB SSD as I do have the HDD from the old PC, so I could just drop the SSD all together and go with an R3. My only issue with that is the HDD is a bit older, but it still works fine. Thanks for the idea.

Back