Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Why did they label the m.2 slot twice next to the pci-e x1 slot? And why are they putting the crossfire and sli logo's on the board, especially up by the ram slots.

...because they can!

You sir, are a very harsh critic.
I'm guessing that's going to be a $400+ board. If I'm spending that much, I want to it to be aesthetically pleasing. The 27 looks stupid as well.
I don't see the point of the board either. 3 way sli or crossfire is dead. Phys x cards are pointless. If you're building something that requires 4 deep learning cards, you're going to go with a x299 platform or something else.

Hey guys. So I've started looking into getting a GPU for my off-the-shelf desktop. It's looking like I'll be going for EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ACX 3.0. Seems like a good bangforyourbuck for what I'm willing to spend on it.

I had a question though. Is there a correlation between the power of the GPU and how much CPU it requires? Or does the GPU use a flat x amount because it's doing its own thing?

I love the stubborn, bitter resistance to the capitalist machine from @jefferz. So out of character. Also, that Supercarrier looks like it might be the best high end ATX Z270 motherboard out there.
Crews seems so happy and over the top all the time.
  • [email protected]
  • 2 x SLI NVIDIA GTX Titan XP 2017 w/EKWB Waterblocks
  • 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM
  • m.2 SSD for OS & Game Drive!
Wouldn't just about anyone be stoked if they just received a comp with all of this? I mean, holy bejeebus, he has 24GB of GDDRX5 VRAM: almost as much as he has system RAM!

Hey guys. So I've started looking into getting a GPU for my off-the-shelf desktop. It's looking like I'll be going for EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ACX 3.0. Seems like a good bangforyourbuck for what I'm willing to spend on it.

I had a question though. Is there a correlation between the power of the GPU and how much CPU it requires? Or does the GPU use a flat x amount because it's doing its own thing?

The GTX 1060 are good cards for the price. Keep in mind that the 3GB version is a bit less powerful then the 6GB version. There it more difference between the cards then just the amount of VRAM.

To answer your questions, yes and no. Every system is going to have a limiting factor, or as people say a bottleneck. This changes depending on the workload. For gaming most of the time that limiting factor in performance is the GPU, as most games demand more from the GPU then the CPU. However, it can be the CPU if you pair a powerful GPU with a very weak CPU, or you turn the game setting way down in an effort to get really high FPS (in the 100s).

For the most part Haswell and above i5 CPUs will keep the bottleneck on the GPU (where you want it). Haswell and above i3 well do very well, but you do lose a couple FPS. Of course i7 kill everything.

What CPU do you have?

The GTX 1060 are good cards for the price. Keep in mind that the 3GB version is a bit less powerful then the 6GB version. There it more difference between the cards then just the amount of VRAM.

To answer your questions, yes and no. Every system is going to have a limiting factor, or as people say a bottleneck. This changes depending on the workload. For gaming most of the time that limiting factor in performance is the GPU, as most games demand more from the GPU then the CPU. However, it can be the CPU if you pair a powerful GPU with a very weak CPU, or you turn the game setting way down in an effort to get really high FPS (in the 100s).

For the most part Haswell and above i5 CPUs will keep the bottleneck on the GPU (where you want it). Haswell and above i3 well do very well, but you do lose a couple FPS. Of course i7 kill everything.

What CPU do you have?
i7-6400 (3.4Ghz). I know that my processor plus my intended GPU is plenty strong of a combo to run games, but I also stream. I don't mind playing with moderate fps and/or low settings. My hope is to be able to leave enough of the CPU free to run OBS and stream at a passable quality.

I love the stubborn, bitter resistance to the capitalist machine from @jefferz. So out of character. Also, that Supercarrier looks like it might be the best high end ATX Z270 motherboard out there.

• [email protected]
  • 2 x SLI NVIDIA GTX Titan XP 2017 w/EKWB Waterblocks
  • 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM
  • m.2 SSD for OS & Game Drive!
Wouldn't just about anyone be stoked if they just received a comp with all of this? I mean, holy bejeebus, he has 24GB of GDDRX5 VRAM: almost as much as he has system RAM!

Don't get me wrong, it's a kickass board. There's just some things that make me scratch my head. Even the gigabit ethernet label on the i/o cover. Who thought that looked good and how did it make it to production that way? Same with the writing on the m.2. It looks like they sent the plans off to have it manufactured but the guy that sent the plans screwed up and sent over a picture of one with everything labelled.
I don't get motherboard chipset heat sinks having words on them or a stupid design on them either. Asus had interchangeable ones a few generations back. Give me an option to buy a plain jane replacement.

i7-6400 (3.4Ghz). I know that my processor plus my intended GPU is plenty strong of a combo to run games, but I also stream. I don't mind playing with moderate fps and/or low settings. My hope is to be able to leave enough of the CPU free to run OBS and stream at a passable quality.

Seeing as most games only make use of 4 CPU thread, you will be fine with the i7 for streaming. Also keep in mind that NVidia has it's Shadowplay video capture and streaming software that is free. Last time I looked it was less resource intensive then OBS.

Don't get me wrong, it's a kickass board. There's just some things that make me scratch my head. Even the gigabit ethernet label on the i/o cover. Who thought that looked good and how did it make it to production that way? Same with the writing on the m.2. It looks like they sent the plans off to have it manufactured but the guy that sent the plans screwed up and sent over a picture of one with everything labelled.
I don't get motherboard chipset heat sinks having words on them or a stupid design on them either. Asus had interchangeable ones a few generations back. Give me an option to buy a plain jane replacement.

I think the labeling is on purpose. If you ever go onto a navy ship you will see that everything is labeled, often multiple times. They also packaged it with a window to see the board, so the labels serve that purpose as well.

Seeing as most games only make use of 4 CPU thread, you will be fine with the i7 for streaming. Also keep in mind that NVidia has it's Shadowplay video capture and streaming software that is free. Last time I looked it was less resource intensive then OBS.
Got it. Thanks for the help! I'll look into Shadowplay.

I think the labeling is on purpose. If you ever go onto a navy ship you will see that everything is labeled, often multiple times. They also packaged it with a window to see the board, so the labels serve that purpose as well.
Ahh. Still looks dumb.

DSOG (Dark Side of Gaming)

10 Most Optimized PC Games of 2016

1. DOOM
  2. Gears of War 4
  3. Battlefield 1
  4. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  5. Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst
  6. Tom Clancy’s The Division
  7. Shadow Warrior 2
  8. F1 2016
  9. Forza Motorsport 6: APEX
  10. Rise of the Tomb Raider
10 Most Optimized PC Games of 2015
  1. Star Wars: Battlefront
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Grand Theft Auto V
  4. Battlefield: Hardline
  5. Mad Max
  6. Dying Light
  7. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  8. Zombie Army Trilogy
  9. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  10. Project CARS
10 Most Optimized PC Games of 2014
  1. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Ryse: Son of Rome
  4. Alien: Isolation
  5. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  6. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  7. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
  8. Sniper Elite 3
  9. Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth
  10. GRID: Autosport

STEAM
Most Popular Free Games
  • Dota 2
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Warframe
  • Paladins
  • Fallout Shelter
  • Unturned
  • Smite
  • Path of Exile
  • Clicker Heroes
  • War Thunder
  • Warface
  • Planetside 2
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Neverwinter
  • Lord of the Rings Online
  • Star Trek Online
  • DC Universe Online
  • Hawken
  • Mechwarrior Online
  • Tribes: Ascend
  • Alien Swarm
  • Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop
  • Last Man Standing
  • Heroes & Generals
  • Fishing the Planet
  • World of Tanks Blitz
  • World of Warships
  • Rift
  • TERA
  • EVE Online
  • Marvel Heroes 2016
  • Super Crate Box
  • Atlas Reactor
  • Robocraft
  • The Cat and the Coup
  • Star Conflict: Dogs of War
  • Orcs Must Die! Unchained
  • Dirty Bomb
  • Blacklight: Retribution
  • Brawlhalla
  • Magic: Duels
  • Shadowverse

OFF-STEAM
Most Popular Free Games
  • League of Legends
  • Hearthstone
  • Heroes of the Storm
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic
  • World of Tanks
  • World of Warplanes
  • Final Fantasy XIV Online
  • Pokemon MMO
  • Roblox
  • Paragon
  • Black Desert Online

Posted the above in another thread. Put enough work into compiling some of the top played games that I figured it would be appreciated, here. They are all free to play, but I won't guarantee purity against any schemes after that.

Of them all, Planetside 2 is probably the most demanding on a gamer's system, especially if one applies a configuration of custom settings for the UserOptions.ini file. As late as 2014 websites testing this game couldn't get better than 50% (or even stable) GPU utilization on the GTX 770 without modification of this file; though it remains a CPU-dependent game even after applying fixes. In fact, in the world of free MMO's, you'll discover that this isn't an anomaly, and that CPU performance is more often your limiting factor (highly detailed high-resolution graphics like textures and 3D models are expensive to produce, and so free game developers typically eschew them).

You'll also learn that you can often improve your system's performance, in a way that isn't possible with consoles, by merely applying a patch or mod that other users have figured out and assembled. In this case, the PC community offers up a bunch of preconfigurations for that .ini file that you can download as simple TXT files, and simply copy over the original (I recommend always renaming this file with "original" somewhere in the title as a backup). YouTube compresses video horribly, but below you at least get an idea of what the game looks like with these settings using "Baxter's True Ultra" preconfiguration:

Here is an older video discussing the schism between the the game's "Ultra" settings and those that can be achieved with a custom configuration of the .ini file:

Finally, this video gives you an idea how much cleaner the game looks on PC. Lighting and building textures are particularly acute. I've timestamped the discrepancy that I think really conveys the PC's superiority:

Last edited:
Posted this in another thread. Put enough work into compiling some of the top played games that I figured it would be appreciated, here. They are all free to play, but I won't guarantee purity against any schemes after that. Of them all, Planetside 2 is probably the most demanding on a gamer's system, especially if one applies a configuration of custom settings for the UserOptions.ini file.

STEAM
Most Popular Free Games
  • Dota 2
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Warface
  • Warframe
  • War Thunder
  • Paladins
  • Fallout Shelter
  • Unturned
  • Clicker Heroes
  • Path of Exile
  • Planetside 2
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Neverwinter
  • Lord of the Rings Online
  • Star Trek Online
  • DC Universe Online
  • Smite
  • Hawken
  • Alien Swarm
  • Last Man Standing
  • Heroes & Generals
  • Fishing the Planet
  • World of Tanks Blitz
  • World of Warships
  • Rift
  • TERA
  • EVE Online
  • Marvel Heroes 2016
  • Super Crate Box
  • Atlas Reactor
  • The Cat and the Coup
  • Star Conflict: Dogs of War
  • Blacklight: Retribution

OFF-STEAM
Most Popular Free Games
  • League of Legends
  • Hearthstone
  • Heroes of the Storm
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic
  • World of Tanks
  • World of Warplanes
  • Final Fantasy XIV Online
  • Pokemon MMO
  • Roblox
  • Paragon
  • Black Desert Online

My son plays a lot of Team Fortress 2. He's getting better at it then I am.

I've been meaning to try Path of Exiles as my sister-in-law and her fiance plays it.

Yep. Already posted about it in the other thread last night:
http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/129496695/

The only problem with that monitor is that nothing can run it yet. Even the GTX 1080 Ti and Titan XP struggle to hold 60fps on the more demanding titles in 4K. To make matters worse, support for SLI and Crossfire appears to have gotten markedly worse over the past several years, not better, while we await the promise of DX12 to deliver the grail where all games will treat your GPUs as a monolithic GPU unit regardless of how many or what type of GPU you have installed. Right now, NVIDIA only claims 29 titles (some DLC) of those currently being sold to have pfficial SLI profile support on their website:
http://www.geforce.co.uk/games-applications/technology/sli
Tons of titles don't appear there that have working SLI profiles like Battlefield 1, although EA didn't fix that game's SLI issues until December 2016.

So, yeah, it's amazing, but to be honest, I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with it. I guess I could pull on myself while thinking about the 58% of frames that I'm not using at any given moment.

It would be nice to see Battlefield 1 or another graphical top-tier twitch shooter running 4K@144fps on Ultra settings, but unfortunately, until companies like NVIDIA or EA decide to give a fuck, you won't be able to do that even if you're rocking dual GTX 1080 Ti's.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who doesn't like the standard "gamer aesthetic" that you see in a lot of monitors?

Give me something like this any day

Dell-P2715Q_vs_LG-27UD68_4K_Monitors_04.jpg

Fuck....spent most of the GPU money on a new phone:(....Fuck it, go broke or go home!

Back