Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

I ran a G4560 1050ti combo and hit 60fps average with medium settings on most titles. It wouldn't do that on CPU heavy games like Ashes though.
It all depends on what games he wants to play.
He wants high/ultra details with AA turned on too.

Acer laptops as a quality product ....
<34>
Based on my experience (like I said). My sister bought a cheap one in 09 and it never gave her any problems for the 6-7 years she used it. I've had an R11 for at least couple of years that I got free from my dad (he also has one) and haven't ran into any problems with it.

Then the 1080 Ti is WAY overkill.

But is cool to have.
And when you have one, you're ready for the future.

I always wondered, what happens if you put the settings of a game on 4K,
but your monitor/tv is Full HD, will it downscale or what ?

He wants high/ultra details with AA turned on too.

Based on my experience (like I said). My sister bought a cheap one in 09 and it never gave her any problems for the 6-7 years she used it. I've had an R11 for at least couple of years that I got free from my dad (he also has one) and haven't ran into any problems with it.

1060 6gb/RX580 8gb will do. Just remember with the 1060 you can't SLI it down the road. The i5-8400 is fine.
Acer laptops are really hit or miss, and 90% of the time it's a miss. They make some great products, you just have to do your research.

But is cool to have.
And when you have one, you're ready for the future.

I always wondered, what happens if you put the settings of a game on 4K,
but your monitor/tv is Full HD, will it downscale or what ?
It would probably just default to your monitor's recommended resolution.

1060 6gb/RX580 8gb will do. Just remember with the 1060 you can't SLI it down the road. The i5-8400 is fine.
Acer laptops are really hit or miss, and 90% of the time it's a miss. They make some great products, you just have to do your research.
Yeah, that's really the only bad thing about the 1060. He doesn't care though. The RX580 is a no go since he's dead set on Nvidia (mainly because I'm a fanboy :D).
Shit, there are "budget" builds now that have a 1070 instead.

Yeah, that's really the only bad thing about the 1060. He doesn't care though. The RX580 is a no go since he's dead set on Nvidia (mainly because I'm a fanboy :D).
giphy.gif

I really wish nVidia would have came out with something between the 1060 and 1070, there's such a price jump there. A 1060ti would have made more sense than the 1070ti.

Then the 1080 Ti is WAY overkill.

Not if you have a big screen. If you have a dinky little 28in monitor where the pixels are so small aliasing is rarely an issue then, yes, it's overkill.

If you are a big boy who maxes out settings on a big screen and wants some AA to smooth out the picture then the 1080ti is just decent, really.

If I played in 4k I would have added another one already.

Not if you have a big screen. If you have a dinky little 28in monitor where the pixels are so small aliasing is rarely an issue then, yes, it's overkill.

If you are a big boy who maxes out settings on a big screen and wants some AA to smooth out the picture then the 1080ti is just decent, really.

If I played in 4k I would have added another one already.
It's still overkill for 1080p regardless.

Not if you use AA. At 1080p, using MSAA, TXAA, or straight up SSAA, the card does not hold well with the best looking games.
How much AA are we talking about? 8x? 16x?

Right now I'm running a
i7 7700k
gtx 1070
32gb ddr4 ram @3000mhz

Thinking of upgrading to a 1080ti or getting the new cards that release next year

Right now I'm running a
i7 7700k
gtx 1070
32gb ddr4 ram @3000mhz

Thinking of upgrading to a 1080ti or getting the new cards that release next year
Do you have a specific reason for upgrading?

Your gear is brand new. Unless you have a specific need that the GTX 1070 isn't fulfilling (ex. Forza Horizon @4K Ultra), then don't upgrade. Save your money for the future. Start a PC fund.

Right now I'm running a
i7 7700k
gtx 1070
32gb ddr4 ram @3000mhz

Get a Gsync monitor instead.

Did any of y'all catch the i7 8700K accidentally being on sale for only $60 on Tiger Direct yesterday?

Micro Center has the 8600K for only $230 right now. Not bad since the $200 8400 is impossible to find right now. Of course the K ones don't come with a cooler...

Right now I'm running a
i7 7700k
gtx 1070
32gb ddr4 ram @3000mhz

This is very similar to my rig.

i have i7 6700
gtx 1070
32gb @ 2666

Why on earth you'd want to upgrade now is beyond me. The incremental gain in performance relative to cost would be pathetic in my amateur opinion. My advice, lose the OCD, and upgrade the GPU in like 2.5 years.

Back