Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

I'm on the search for a new cpu block. I bought the block assuming the channel would have fluid running through it.
a291c3e9-8a41-449c-86c8-a1d32383de7e
9q7PuFW.jpg

Howdy y'all.

I have an off-the-shelf pc with an i7-6700 in it (this model). I'd like to upgrade that to an i7-7700K (maybe even an 8700K, but I heard I would need a new motherboard for that, so maybe not). Is it as simple as just pulling out the current processor and dropping the new one in? Or is it more involved than that?

Howdy y'all.

I have an off-the-shelf pc with an i7-6700 in it (this model). I'd like to upgrade that to an i7-7700K (maybe even an 8700K, but I heard I would need a new motherboard for that, so maybe not). Is it as simple as just pulling out the current processor and dropping the new one in? Or is it more involved than that?
Get a dedicated video card first.

So my SSD just fried again. 7 months after my last one fried and I even invested in a water cooling system. What a joke.

Luckily I had 2 extra old SATA's I could boot from.

So my SSD just fried again. 7 months after my last one fried and I even invested in a water cooling system. What a joke.

What brand? Got me a samsung a couple months back and it basically ressurrected my gaming laptop.

What brand? Got me a samsung a couple months back and it basically ressurrected my gaming laptop.
Sandisk originally. Apparently they replaced it with the cheapest 256 gb SSD they could find.

You're water cooling your ssd?

You're water cooling your ssd?
Lol no, my processor, but when I burnt the first SSD out (which was less than a year old) it was from my computer overheating running PUBG for 12 hours a day. I figured adding water cooling (It's like an air conditioner sitting next to it now) Would have prevented that from happening again.

Now that I think about it, My comp was running at 30° C, and it was likely just a POS SSD rather than an overheating issue.

@jefferz

so i recovered a video for you with what my HD is doing..

do you got a Gmail so you can give it a listen? there is no clicking...but it constantly winds up and down, up and down...

I just picked up an E3-1230 for $65. It's 4/8 3.3/3.6 1155 socket. Apparently I had an eBay notification set.
I have an old z77 board and 8gb of ram. I'm think I'm going to sell my htpc hardware, i5-7400, and replace it with the z77 system.
I need to decide on a cooler though, it's an 80w chip. I've got Hyper 212's but I've grown to hate the mounting system. Has anyone used a Cryorig H7?

GPU prices are fucking crazy right now. Everything mid tier or higher is double MSRP right now in the states.

Even older used cards like the R9 290 and RX 480 are selling over $400. These miners are crazy :eek::eek:

GPU prices are fucking crazy right now. Everything mid tier or higher is double MSRP right now in the states.

Even older used cards like the R9 290 and RX 480 are selling over $400. These miners are crazy :eek::eek:
Hopefully this mining craze dies a fiery death like it did last time.

Hopefully this mining craze dies a fiery death like it did last time.
There was a huge crash yesterday on almost everything.

edit: I can't wait for the crypto crash. The used market will be flooded with tons of awesome cards for cheap. That will push older hardware, like 970's, down in price to insane levels.

Last edited:

makes me happy. ill be sticking mine on craigslist after i buy the 1080ti

Back