Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

GPU prices are fucking crazy right now. Everything mid tier or higher is double MSRP right now in the states.

Even older used cards like the R9 290 and RX 480 are selling over $400. These miners are crazy :eek::eek:

I got my 1080 at around $450 thanks to some combined blackfriday sales.

Damn thing now is now selling at $700 used. I'm tempted to sell it, swap in a lesser card, and wait for the prices to crash back down. Jesus.

Prices are completely fucked. And it doesn't even make any sense: Buying a new mining rig was already a gamble that bitcoin was going to hit 25K soon, or it would stop being profitable against chinese electricity. And now they cost even more than they did back then.

Last edited:
makes me happy. ill be sticking mine on craigslist after i buy the 1080ti
1080ti prices are at over $1000. They'll come down along with the resale value of those older cards.

I'm tempted to sell it, swap in a lesser card, and wait for the prices to crash back down. Jesus.
I might do it as well to be honest. Most of the games i've been playing lately are not GPU demanding at all (pubg, csgo, and Divinity original sin 2). Those 3 games can easily keep me busy till the new cards come late spring/early summer and I can pocket $300 profit (basically get the next gen video cards for free once i sell the temp card and use the $300).

I might do it as well to be honest. Most of the games i've been playing lately are not GPU demanding at all (pubg, csgo, and Divinity original sin 2). Those 3 games can easily keep me busy till the new cards come late spring/early summer and I can pocket $300 profit (basically get the next gen video cards for free once i sell the temp card and use the $300).
Yeah. This isn't something I'm much used to, but I'm seriously considering it. If you can point me in a good direction I'll probably go right ahead and sell it this weekend. I dug up a 7970 that should be able to run pubg etc at 1080p still.

A lot of the cryptos went even farther down this morning.
tenor.gif

Watch your local ads for a used 980ti for a temp card. They're in between the 1060gb and 1070 performance wise and they usually go for $300-$350.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a HP PC right now.
Ryzen 5, RX 580, 16 GB, 128gb SSD, 1TB. 6 USB, 1 HDMI, 3x DP
For under 1000 Eur.

What do you think ?

Howdy y'all. Got myself a new PC and wanna finally make the jump into PC gaming. The rig is good to go, but I could use some guidance on a keyboard and mouse, as I have no idea what I'm looking at. I don't need any crazy top-of-the-line stuff, but something respectable. Any suggestions? From Amazon would be ideal.

Howdy y'all. Got myself a new PC and wanna finally make the jump into PC gaming. The rig is good to go, but I could use some guidance on a keyboard and mouse, as I have no idea what I'm looking at. I don't need any crazy top-of-the-line stuff, but something respectable. Any suggestions? From Amazon would be ideal.
What's your budget? Keyboards can vary in price from $40-$150. Mice are the same.
For a keyboard, we need a little more input. Do you want a full size keyboard or one without the number pad? Do you want multimedia keys on your keyboard? Do you want RGB lighting?
Mice are very subjective, there's lots of different shapes. If you have a Best Buy, Fry's, or Microcenter near by it's worth a trip to see what they have on hand to try.

What's your budget? Keyboards can vary in price from $40-$150. Mice are the same.
For a keyboard, we need a little more input. Do you want a full size keyboard or one without the number pad? Do you want multimedia keys on your keyboard? Do you want RGB lighting?
Mice are very subjective, there's lots of different shapes. If you have a Best Buy, Fry's, or Microcenter near by it's worth a trip to see what they have on hand to try.
Interested in compact, mechanical and RGB. Leaning toward this one. Not familiar with the brand, but 4.4 stars from almost 1,500 reviews seems like a good endorsement.

I'll take your advice on the mouse and swing by Best Buy to check them out.

Interested in compact, mechanical and RGB. Leaning toward this one. Not familiar with the brand, but 4.4 stars from almost 1,500 reviews seems like a good endorsement.

I'm using a Redragon mouse and I have no complaints. A lot of the keyboards 6like that are all the same, the companies just rebrand them.

Switches are important on mechanical keyboards. Blue switches are clicky and sound like the old 80s IBM keyboards. They are very loud. I've been through blue, brown, red and ultimately ended up at silent reds. I love the silent reds but they are expensive. Definitely do your research on switches before you buy your board and if possible, try some out.

You might want to check out Corsair's refurb store. Their refurbs look brand new and you get a hefty discount. Probably more than you are wanting to pay but their products are quality and use real Cherry MX switches unlike the Redragon.

They also have good deals on mice. Mice are a bit more subjective. Basically any gaming grade mouse will be good. You just have to find one with the grip and button layout you like.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/certified-refurb?c=keyboards

Last edited:
Switches are important on mechanical keyboards. Blue switches are clicky and sound like the old 80s IBM keyboards. They are very loud. I've been through blue, brown, red and ultimately ended up at silent reds. I love the silent reds but they are expensive. Definitely do your research on switches before you buy your board and if possible, try some out.

You might want to check out Corsair's refurb store. Their refurbs look brand new and you get a hefty discount. Probably more than you are wanting to pay but their products are quality and use real Cherry MX switches unlike the Redragon.

They also have good deals on mice. Mice are a bit more subjective. Basically any gaming grade mouse will be good. You just have to find one with the grip and button layout you like.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/certified-refurb?c=keyboards

The Redragon uses Otemu blues which have been proven to be great, reliable, and affordable switches. I'll agree, Cherry's are better but you're going to pay double the price also.

My coworker has a redragon he likes and has no complaints. I considered following suit - only reason I didn't was a flash sale on a different brand I also liked.

as far as mouse shopping, the only thing I'd add is to know what features you want. How many buttons, programmable buttons, dpi, etc. If you aren't sure, just get something cheap and comfy that omits the "don't know features." You can get a replacement mouse adding them if you miss them, and then, at worse, you have a backup mouse.

Last edited:
Back