PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Thanks for your opinion, while i like your knowledge on the matter, i find it kind of condescending that you are trying to imply that a monitor is too expensive for me, a bit of a passive aggressive comment.

And then you talk about 'price range'...i actually dont care what it costs, i just want to purchase the best monitor for my set up.
I was trying to take a guess at your intended budget since you didn't specify one. If you didn't care what it costs, and wanted to get the best display bar none, then you wouldn't have said this:
So i am only waiting on one component of my gaming PC to arrive, and am starting to look at monitors.

I uderstand i need at least a 144hz refresh rate, and a response time of 1ms is probably best as well.

But what resolution am i best looking at in reality?

My rig has a 1080 and an i7 8700 with 16g ram and i've read a few tales about 4k just not being up to scratch or optimized at the moment, and the 4k gaming monitors are stupidly high priced.

The 1080p monitors however for a good 27" look to be a reasonable price at around the £350 mark(about $500) but will i want to play with a higher resolution going forwards?

Any advice is welcome, i have a PC that plays games, but this is my first proper gaming PC.
So, actually, yes, you care about value, and it's taken for granted by PC Builders in all of these threads that everyone always does. We don't play Monopoly Money. It's not like I'm unaware that you're seeking a display to match with a $1500+ build. Nobody perceives this with condescension. My comments were intended, as much as anything, to give you an idea of price grading in the landscape.

I can see that you don't want my help. The irony is that it was perfectly free.

Thanks for your opinion, while i like your knowledge on the matter, i find it kind of condescending that you are trying to imply that a monitor is too expensive for me, a bit of a passive aggressive comment.

And then you talk about 'price range'...i actually dont care what it costs, i just want to purchase the best monitor for my set up.

He was giving you advice that can apply to anyone not just you? You're not the only person who may read this thread and may ask the same question so his answer can be applied to anyone who reads it. You seem a bit upset that someone assumed you might want to save some money?

You sound poor

I just built my first gaming rig since the 90s. Was getting ~100 fps on PUBG @ 144hz / High settings. So nice. Such a change from the laptop I was running it on before. I still suck but at least now I can suck at 144 hz.

I grabbed a cheap 4k 1ms response time monitor yesterday for the hell of it. I figured my 1070 will be okay with some tweaking (this seems accurate), but I was also hoping to maybe upgrade my video card towards the end of the year. Then I saw this article from a couple of days ago. It says prices on video cards will continue to be overpriced til the end of 2018. I wonder if it wouldn't be worth it to buy a prebuilt with a 1080, swap in my 1070 and try to sell it back through ebay or something.

I think the bump in resolution is worth it, but I'm still having to turn certain effects completely off even at medium settings to maintain a decent 60 fps. I had to knock Street Fighter down to 1440; at least it's not as blurry as when I set it down to 1080p.

Last edited:
Really frustrated about these prices... Ive been saving money to upgrade my 970, but a 1080ti is like double price currently :( I got my hopes up when I went to the EVGA site and discovered I was eligible for elite membership where they have exclusive cards reserved for members... nothing available currently though.

Really frustrated about these prices... Ive been saving money to upgrade my 970, but a 1080ti is like double price currently :( I got my hopes up when I went to the EVGA site and discovered I was eligible for elite membership where they have exclusive cards reserved for members... nothing available currently though.
Set price alerts on various sites. They'll let you know when a card goes on sale below a certain level. Happens occasionally.

New Nvidia Gaming GPUs Unlikely to Arrive Much Before Mid-Summer
Nvidia’s Pascal GPU architecture has been one of Nvidia’s longest-lived product lines in the past 20 years. It further refined and improved the technologies Nvidia introduced with Maxwell, along with making some architectural improvements of its own, and it competes extremely well against AMD’s Polaris and Vega product lines. But Pascal is also old for a high-end GPU architecture, particularly one that hasn’t undergone a major SKU shakeout since launch. While Kepler beats it in age (GTX 680 debuted in March 2012, with the GTX 980 arriving in September 2014), Nvidia eventually replaced its top-end GTX 680 SKU with the GTX 780, which offered significantly boosted performance, as well as various improvements throughout the 7xx stack. Beyond launching the GTX 1080 Ti almost a year ago and the 1070 Ti late last year, Nvidia hasn’t made any changes to the Pascal family.

For the past few weeks we’ve seen rumors popping up that Nvidia would soon introduce a new GPU family, possibly at the GTC or GDC conferences this year. We haven’t discussed the topic because all our attempts to confirm those rumors pointed in the opposite direction. Now, THG has chimed in, indicating that their rumor mill suggests we won’t see new consumer GPUs based on the upcoming Turing architectures in the next few months.

Nvidia’s Volta uses HBM2, but there’s no sign NV will adopt it for its consumer cards. GDDR6 is the expected memory standard for next-gen high-end cards.

Nvidia is supposedly prepping new cards based on Volta for non-gaming workloads with a new compute architecture, supposedly nicknamed Ampere, coming in the near-future as well. The consumer follow-up to Pascal is reportedly nicknamed “Turing,” though we’ve seen some publications arguing that Ampere is the consumer part and Tesla the compute-oriented GPU. Ampere as the compute GPU seems to align more closely with “Volta” as a brand name, but we’ve got no inside information on that one way or the other.

It feels a bit odd to say this, but the biggest questions surrounding Nvidia’s next-generation GPU, whatever codename it uses, have relatively little to do with gaming performance. There’s significant concern future GPUs could be impossible to find in market if they outperform current Pascal chips at cryptocurrency mining. We already saw this happen with 14nm chips from AMD and Nvidia at the 14/16nm node and nobody wants a sequel with ongoing shortages that could take a year or more to improve.

The question of which node these GPUs will use is also up for some debate. TSMC’s 10nm nodes have, as far as we’re aware, been deployed almost entirely for mobile products. TSMC has also guided that it believes its 10nm products are a short-lived node. This is a similar strategy to what we saw at 20nm, where neither AMD nor Nvidia tapped the node for GPUs and it was replaced by FinFETs fairly quickly. It’s possible, therefore, that Nvidia will target TSMC’s interim 12nm node (think “optimized 16nm”) rather than moving to a brand-new node in 2018.

The other reason Nvidia can afford to take its time in many of these efforts is because AMD’s Vega isn’t really nipping at its proverbial heels. Vega 56’s lead over the GTX 1070 was largely eliminated by the GTX 1070 Ti, and the increased cryptocurrency demand for AMD GPUs has made them less relevant to Nvidia in any case. We covered this in some detail earlier this week, but with AMD GPUs currently seeing more cost inflation than their Nvidia counterparts, Nvidia has even less reason to push for new part introductions. Hopefully this also means they’ve had the time to find ways to prevent cryptocurrency miners from yanking all the desktop GPUs out of the market when new products do inevitably launch, and to ensure a robust supply of product so we don’t see the same supply shortages as happened in 2016.

AMD Discrete GPU Share Rises To Highest Point In Nearly 4 Years – Global GPU Shortage Crisis Continues
4q09-4q17_dgpu_market_share.png

I saw one GTX 1060 3GB earlier for $280; otherwise, every single GTX 1060 / RX 580 equivalent or more powerful cost at least $350 today. With that in mind, I thought I'd point out the most competitive current AIO price points to beat-- if they can be beat. Amazon's bestselling CyberpowerPC RX 580 model for $719 is out of stock, unfortunately, but on the upside, HP has cut in on the low-margin AIO gaming PC market with their "HP Pavilion Power" line.

The $720 HP 580 series model, in particular, is the lowest price I have ever seen on an i5 + GTX 1060 build, and the $690 is the cheapest I have ever seen any AIO at retail with an RX 580:

*The newest 2018 HP Pavilion models offer two additional models with the 7th gen Skylake i5 added to an NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB; each respectively paired with a 128GB and 256GB SSD OS/game drive. The markup isn't too bad-- at least not as bad as normal for an SSD inclusion:

Alright, gents. There's the competition.

Last edited:
I wonder what kind of version videocard they build in, in retail PC's
I bought an Acer with a 1080 Ti.
Do you think it is an MSI, ASUS or some custom Acer version ?

Is your computer a Predator model? They usually use either a Founders edition or Zotac cards.

Holy shit, you went balls deep.

Out of curiosity: did you purchase this through Mediamarkt? They're the closest thing the EU has to a Best Buy as far as I can tell.

Holy shit, you went balls deep.

Out of curiosity: did you purchase this through Mediamarkt? They're the closest thing the EU has to a Best Buy as far as I can tell.

Mediamarkt is indeed a big chain. But I didn't buy it there.
Yeah, my PC also has a I7 7700K.

Last edited:
What is your opinion on the cards you mentioned ?
Quality wise ?
I’ve never owned a Zotac, but I’ve never heard anything bad about them.
Personally I wouldn’t buy a founders edition unless I was going to water cool it or used it in an itx case. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with them, they’re great cards.

blower style card
BLOWER-TYPE2-768x504.png

non blower
open-air-768x618.png

Whats the difference between a GTX 1070 ti and a GTX 1080? Both are on the same price point with the 1080 being $40 cheaper.

Whats the difference between a GTX 1070 ti and a GTX 1080? Both are on the same price point with the 1080 being $40 cheaper.

1070ti
+ is newer
+ is cheaper
- is slower (5-10%)
+ has less power consumption
+ will probably run a little cooler.

The variance is slight, but a top shelf 1080 will outperform a top shelf 1070ti. Would you notice the difference? Unlikely... save for very niche circumstances.

Back