PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Yeah, that's why you're bad at this. This was listed in the criteria.

This from the person who has set his criteria for a build above his budget, and really wants a FreeSync option but wont make some logical sacrifices to get it.

This from the person who has set his criteria for a build above his budget, and really wants a FreeSync option but wont make some logical sacrifices to get it.
Which is just a way of saying that you can't do it.

You could have spared us all this waste of time by resisting the urge to post rather than trying to come back at me with this weak shit merely because you were too lazy to pay attention.

Since we're talking monitors. I heard that that connecting a 100hz tv to PC HDMI
actually is counterproductive for your framerate in gaming. Anyone heard about this ?
You haven't specified the TV, but I'll guess that you're dealing with a pre-2010 plasma to be asking the questions that you're asking. Feels like a time machine for forum chatter.

It's not that those TVs were counterproductive to framerate. It was that (almost) none of them were truly 100Hz+ displays. They were just using interpolation to churn out artificial frames. The problem with that is that interpolation, like upscaling, presents an additional processing load. This is supposed to be handled on the TV's end, so it shouldn't affect the number of frames being rendered, but it creates additional problems like increases to input lag, artifacting/tearing, etc. This is even more problematic when the native framerate output by the PC is 60Hz, so there isn't an even multiplier. Not a problem with 100Hz monitors, but it's why many gamers opted to spring for 120Hz/240Hz televisions rather than 100Hz/200Hz ones the industry was heavily marketing (most acutely to sports fans).

Interpolation algorithms were also in their infancy, so they were terrible. I don't recall this being specific to HDMI, but perhaps some models that also carried DisplayPort didn't interpolate over that input.

*Edit*
Also a useful primer on HDMI and its refresh rates:

Last edited:
You haven't specified the TV, but I'll guess that you're dealing with a pre-2010 plasma to be asking the questions that you're asking. Feels like a time machine for forum chatter.

Thanks for you reply. But I'm talking about a new tv.
Here in Europe we mostly can choose beween 50hz and 100hz.
And I want to know if the extra cash is worth it to buy 100hz.

uhgG5Y0.png

Last edited:
Thanks for you reply. But I'm talking about a new tv.
Here in Europe we mostly can choose beween 50hz and 100hz.
And I want to know if the extra cash is worth it to buy 100hz.

uhgG5Y0.png
Aha, okay, that makes sense, for some reason Europe decided to behave like America with inches and pounds. The regional stuff with electronics is a disaster. That exact model everywhere else is 60Hz/120Hz.

I have no idea. Could be, but that's not something I deal with as an American. If anything it should improve your framerate because the higher refresh rate setting on the LG OLED operates at a lower natively rendered resolution input:
@60Hz/50Hz = 4K
@100Hz/120Hz = 1080p

Aha, okay, that makes sense, for some reason Europe decided to behave like America with inches and pounds. The regional stuff with electronics is a disaster. That exact model everywhere else is 60Hz/120Hz.

I have no idea. Could be, but that's not something I deal with as an American. If anything it should improve your framerate because the higher refresh rate setting on the LG OLED operates at a lower natively rendered resolution input:
@60Hz/50Hz = 4K
@100Hz/120Hz = 1080p

Maybe you want to help me with this question, you really know your stuff.

I checked what native resolution my TV has on my PC.
It's 1360 x 768. Do you know what happens when I set a game on 1920x1080 ?
Is native the limit of the TV ?

What's a good aluminum laptop stand with sufficiently tall edge lip? I don't want the thing to get too hot and screw up the insides and aluminum is supposed to be good to conduct heat away.

I'm feeling courageous and wanting to fiddle with stuff. I noticed my old laptop that I replaced because it was too damn slow, especially at startup, only had 512MB RAM. I happened to see Best Buy sold RAM. I looked up the laptop's user manual to see it uses SODIMM DDR SDRAM, has two slots, can handle max 2GB RAM. It said 266MHz.

Q: Is it safe to use RAM with higher than 266MHz with the understanding that there won't be benefit if the computer motherboard can't make use of that speed? Not sure if I can find what I want at 266MHz.

Maybe you want to help me with this question, you really know your stuff.

I checked what native resolution my TV has on my PC.
It's 1360 x 768. Do you know what happens when I set a game on 1920x1080 ?
Is native the limit of the TV ?
Setting a game to 1920x1080 either won't be a video option or it will automatically rescale to 1360x768

Yo, has anyone ever had this problem? any advice? Windows Restart has become broken on my pc recently, I can boot up from my pc being off. but when I try to do a restart such as resetting pc or installing software, the monitor turns off and I get a no signal message, i've left it a while and the monitor does not come back on, I have to hold power down and then power it back on.

I've tried reinstalled graphics drivers and using another monitor. the only other thing i've done recently is add a games ssd, i've checked the bios and the correct ssd is in the boot order.

EDIT: one other thing I noticed that has never happened before is Display Driver Uninstaller freezes at the rebooting screen

Last edited:
Yo, has anyone ever had this problem? any advice? Windows Restart has become broken on my pc recently, I can boot up from my pc being off. but when I try to do a restart such as resetting pc or installing software, the monitor turns off and I get a no signal message, i've left it a while and the monitor does not come back on, I have to hold power down and then power it back on.

I've tried reinstalled graphics drivers and using another monitor. the only other thing i've done recently is add a games ssd, i've checked the bios and the correct ssd is in the boot order.

EDIT: one other thing I noticed that has never happened before is Display Driver Uninstaller freezes at the rebooting screen
Is your bios up to date?

If you remove the SSD does everything work like normal? That would be the first thing to try. Basically bring your system back to the way it was when it was working. If that doesn't work then I would do a system restore to any point before this started happening.

If you remove the SSD does everything work like normal? That would be the first thing to try. Basically bring your system back to the way it was when it was working. If that doesn't work then I would do a system restore to any point before this started happening.
The newest windows update made some SSD’s wonky and act like there’s something wrong with them. A bios update usually fixes it.

Trying removing SSD and bios update next. thanks

EDIT: Updating the BIOS has WORKED! thanks guys for the suggestions.

I wish i'd read that before i opened up my pc earlier and moved the sata cables around because I thought that might have been the problem lol

Last edited:
MS found a way to make windows 10 april update compattible
with Intel and Toshiba SSD's.
My little i5 Intel NUC is up to date again. Goood

I even had some girl from MS take over my NUC and install W10 all over again in-screen.
Untill I called the supplier of the NUC and he told me about the SSD issue.

It's such a cool little machine, it's 6 by 6 inches with 8 gb RAM and 128GB SSD

Knipsel.PNG

Last edited:
MS found a way to make windows 10 april update compattible
with Intel and Toshiba SSD's.
My little i5 Intel NUC is up to date again. Goood

I even had some girl from MS take over my NUC and install W10 all over again in-screen.
Untill I called the supplier of the NUC and he told me about the SSD issue.

It's such a cool little machine, it's 6 by 6 inches with 8 gb RAM and 128GB SSD

View attachment 388053
Best HTPC for power-users on the market, IMO. In ten years I doubt you'll see anything resembling a tower in office environments. The prebuilds will start to look like these now that optical drives are almost fully obsolete even in the business world.

In ten years everything in offices will be:
  1. AIOs (where the computer is built into the monitor)
  2. NUC-sized units for those who are more particular about their choice of monitors
  3. laptop/tablet hybrids

d.

In ten years everything in offices will be:
  1. AIOs (where the computer is built into the monitor)
  2. NUC-sized units for those who are more particular about their choice of monitors
  3. laptop/tablet hybrids

I can tell you from experience it's already happening in some of the companies I work for. None of them are going for the NUC units but they all seem adamant about not buying desktops anymore. Other than O&G companies where the engineers are using complicated shit like Petra. They all want laptops and docks that's it.

What sucks is Dell is moving away from their old docks which everybody loved (including me) and they are going towards these USB docks which nobody likes.

I can tell you from experience it's already happening in some of the companies I work for. None of them are going for the NUC units but they all seem adamant about not buying desktops anymore. Other than O&G companies where the engineers are using complicated shit like Petra. They all want laptops and docks that's it.

What sucks is Dell is moving away from their old docks which everybody loved (including me) and they are going towards these USB docks which nobody likes.
I have no experience with them, but Thunderbolt docks seem to be the way of the future.

Back