Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

@Madmick @jefferz What wireless network cards do you guys recommend? I've been using an ethernet cable for the last year because my computer is about 30cm from the modem but I am planning on moving my pc to my room instead of out in the main room so wifeless is clearly the way I feel I should go. I Looked at some Asus 4x4 card that gets good reviews, but also has its fair share of horrible reviews.

I haven't ordered it yet, but yes everything will be new.
That case is severely outdated. The Haf X was a great case for it's time, but there's much better options out there. The Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh is the successor to the Haf X.
A newer case will give you a better build quality, better cable management, and other conveniences like dust filters. Aesthetics are subjective, but newer cases look a lot better imo.

@Madmick @jefferz What wireless network cards do you guys recommend? I've been using an ethernet cable for the last year because my computer is about 30cm from the modem but I am planning on moving my pc to my room instead of out in the main room so wifeless is clearly the way I feel I should go. I Looked at some Asus 4x4 card that gets good reviews, but also has its fair share of horrible reviews.
You want a 802.11ac card. After that you want a PCIe card: (1) PCIe with antenna protruding directly from back port, or (2) PCIe/USB connected to antennae base platform via a cord.

TOP CHOICES
Gigabyte ($34 in the USA; one of the top selling ac cards here)
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/tTdqqs/gigabyte-wireless-network-card-gcwb867di
TP Link Archer:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/KJfmP6/tp-link-archer-t6e-ac1300-none-wi-fi-adapter-archer-t6e

802.11n ALTERNATIVE
Multiple antennae & PCIe-- also much cheaper:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/G4H323/tp-link-wireless-network-card-tlwdn4800

You want a 802.11ac card. After that you want a PCIe card: (1) PCIe with antenna protruding directly from back port, or (2) PCIe/USB connected to antennae base platform via a cord.

TOP CHOICES
Gigabyte ($34 in the USA; one of the top selling ac cards here)
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/tTdqqs/gigabyte-wireless-network-card-gcwb867di
TP Link Archer:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/KJfmP6/tp-link-archer-t6e-ac1300-none-wi-fi-adapter-archer-t6e

802.11n ALTERNATIVE
Multiple antennae & PCIe-- also much cheaper:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/G4H323/tp-link-wireless-network-card-tlwdn4800

So the 802.11AC are the best?

That case is severely outdated. The Haf X was a great case for it's time, but there's much better options out there. The Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh is the successor to the Haf X.
A newer case will give you a better build quality, better cable management, and other conveniences like dust filters. Aesthetics are subjective, but newer cases look a lot better imo.
I actually have a Haf X currently but am just planning a new one as my current one is 7 years old. I actually like this better than the one you posted as it has more room overall and has room for a BluRay drive. It's just less flashy.

What do you guys think of this deal? $450

https://slickdeals.net/f/11752003-a...d-gtx-970-450-50-free-shipping?src=SiteSearch
  • Intel i7-4790 3.60GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • 16GB DDR3 Memory
  • 128GB Solid State Drive + 2TB Hard Drive
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0
  • Windows 8.1 64-Bit
  • Ports:
    • 2x USB 2.0
    • 2x USB 3.0
    • 1x VGA
    • 1x HDMI
This is a pretty killer deal right? Older gen processor, but it seems like a crazy deal.

What do you guys think of this deal? $450

https://slickdeals.net/f/11752003-a...d-gtx-970-450-50-free-shipping?src=SiteSearch
  • Intel i7-4790 3.60GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • 16GB DDR3 Memory
  • 128GB Solid State Drive + 2TB Hard Drive
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0
  • Windows 8.1 64-Bit
  • Ports:
    • 2x USB 2.0
    • 2x USB 3.0
    • 1x VGA
    • 1x HDMI
This is a pretty killer deal right? Older gen processor, but it seems like a crazy deal.
Good price but I wouldn't call it a crazy deal. I just build my dad a computer for $200 more using all brand new parts and its significantly better (GTX 1060, Six core processor, newer DDR4 ram, bigger SSD, nicer case/powersupply).

That's not to say this computer is bad but its fairly priced given its age

Good price but I wouldn't call it a crazy deal. I just build my dad a computer for $200 more using all brand new parts and its significantly better (GTX 1060, Six core processor, newer DDR4 ram, bigger SSD, nicer case/powersupply).

WTF how much did you pay for the GTX 1060

What are you talking about?

In any given shoestring gaming build, you're going to visit these base costs:
  • $50 = Motherboard
  • $40 = PSU
  • $40 = Case
    $130 = Subtotal
Meanwhile:
  • $120 = i7-4790 (is equal to the i3-8100 as a gaming processor, but with 1/3 superior production processing potential)
  • $230 = GTX 970 4GB (GTX 1060 3GB equivalent)
  • $25 = 128GB SSD
  • $50 = 2TB HDD
  • $80 = 2 x 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • $15 = 802.11ac WiFi
    $520 = Subtotal
So it's $650 even before considering the ~$100 retail value of Windows 8.1 64-bit. He found a heck of a deal.
So the 802.11AC are the best?
The Pros and Cons of PCI-e Wireless Network Adapters vs. USB Wireless Solutions
Yes, 802.11ac is the fastest standard. Some will quote the actual rated wireless bandwidth capability in megabits (divide by 8 to get Megabytes). The number of antennae is usually a visual indicator of a router's transmission power.
  1. 802.11ac
  2. Dual-Band
  3. Multiple Antennae
  4. PCIe (x1.0)

https://www.pccasegear.com/products...VwxePCh3VZAuQEAQYASABEgKUa_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

@Madmick I ended up buying one of these. After testing it out with 3 walls between my router and PC I was getting on average 94% signal. Which to me seems quite reasonable considering my Router is nothing special.
Wowza.

If you're not that far, and the walls aren't that thick or don't create as much interference, then you're gold, but that thing should beam through a mountainside. That's the best wireless adapter on the market. Super jelly.

802.11ac is for the highest bandwidth on the latest standard. Dual-band is principally useful if you live in a more crowded area and wish to switch to the less used 2.4GHz band during a certain time of the day, or on the weekends, for example, and you can also download on both bands simultaneously. PCIe is for the lowest theoretical latency and the antennae are most useful over long distances, a lot of walls, and/or a change of vertical level (i.e. directional antennae).

Last edited:
I got a Zoostorm Evolve. I don't use it much but I was thinking of replacing the power supply and maybe adding a graphics card. After doing some Googling I ain't any clearer on what type of power unit I should be looking for. Anyone got any knowledge of these things?
Is there a model number on your PSU? Someone here should be able to do some google fu and point you in the right direction.

Wowza.

If you're not that far, and the walls aren't that thick or don't create as much interference, then you're gold, but that thing should beam through a mountainside. That's the best wireless adapter on the market. Super jelly.

802.11ac is for the highest bandwidth on the latest standard. Dual-band is principally useful if you live in a more crowded area and wish to switch to the less used 2.4GHz band during a certain time of the day, or on the weekends, for example, and you can also download on both bands simultaneously. PCIe is for the lowest theoretical latency and the antennae are most useful over long distances, a lot of walls, and/or a change of vertical level (i.e. directional antennae).

I'm going to be doing a bit of testing over the coming week to see if I can get it up to 100% signal. I assume it's a matter of the angles of the antennas or the angle of my router/modem. The router/modem isn't a high quality one its what the internet provider gave me to use one day I will buy a better router but at this point in time Australia's internet simply isn't good enough to demand a high quality router.
I also question if my Predator monitor could be providing some interference with the antennas as where they are sitting the monitor is between them and the router. I'll just do some testing and keep you updated as to how it all goes. I read about it and it had a few bad reviews, but most of them were from incompetent people breaking antennas or it just "dying" after a day or two which I find questionable. The latest model that I have has updated the shielding on it to cause little to no interference with speakers or headphones which was a common gripe at the start of its production if the reviews are to be believed.

Last edited:
I'm going to be doing a bit of testing over the coming week to see if I can get it up to 100% signal. I assume it's a matter of the angles of the antennas or the angle of my router/modem. The router/modem isn't a high quality one its what the internet provider gave me to use one day I will buy a better router but at this point in time Australia's internet simply isn't good enough to demand a high quality router.
I also question if my Predator monitor could be providing some interference with the antennas as where they are sitting the monitor is between them and the router. I'll just do some testing and keep you updated as to how it all goes. I read about it and it had a few bad reviews, but most of them were from incompetent people breaking antennas or it just "dying" after a day or two which I find questionable. The latest model that I have has updated the shielding on it to cause little to no interference with speakers or headphones which was a common gripe at the start of its production if the reviews are to be believed.
I don't think you should expect much higher than 94% in the field. You might be able to get 98% or 99% with direct line of sight in the same room.

will my 290x see any gains from being teamed with a 8700k?

That's a standard size ATX power supply. A good option would be this.

Cool. I looked on Reddit and some forum to see if I could get an answer but they were pretty conflicting. One guy said it needed a small form power supply, another guy said any standard one would do, and so on. Anyway, I guess I'll get that one. Cheers.

Back