Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

You can easily get a ti for 550-6 in my area now and with more diging Can get lower.

You can get a 1050 ti for under 100
Fuck me I could make a pretty solid budget right for $200 on Craigslist

That’s what I’ve been looking around at, new vs my area used prices on several co figurations and then trying to make sure the pieces jive well together and fit my needs.

There is only 1 basic, son.

1. Buy the GTX 1080ti. If you can wait till late Fall, the 1180 will be a smidgen faster.
2. Buy the cheapest quadcore Intel chip you can find
3. 16GB of RAM
4. Cheapest Samsung SSD that will fit your OS and main programs (but not games)
5. Buy a cheap case
6. Skip the optical drive
7. Buy a decent midrange Mobo but look for deals, even a deal with a CPU
8. Buy the cheapest 650w-700w Seasonic internals PSU
9. Cheapest 2TB 7500rpm spinning disk you can find
10. Enjoy

Last edited:
I’m to the point now where I think I’m gonna bite the bullet on a newer processor and cpu thought and get one of the cheap 1050 ti’s Locally ,
I can go cheap on a decent cpu and Mobo too, and if to upgrade could just swap cpu out without changing both it would be one thing

Still deciding on that part.

The highest case on my list was just under 50.00, and the lowest was 22.00.

Shows 250.00 case, wouldn’t expect less from sherdog lol
I'll be honest I didn't check the price of the cases you posted, and I didn't even see the budget part in your thread title.

I just see posts about PC parts and I get wet.

1. Buy the GTX 1080ti. If you can wait till late Fall, the 1180 will be a smidgen faster.
3. 16GB of RAM
5. Buy a cheap case
10. Enjoy

I’m not building my pc for extreme gaming, so it might be a huge wast of money on a 1080 ti.

My pc needs do fall into some of the same issues as gaming pc’s though with heavy editing and color correction tasks.

What I’m seeing is that my issues are high cpu demand, and demand more than a “internal” video will support.

Ie, while a gpu will help leaps and bounds with what I’m doing, something over a 1030 or 1050 might not have much roi for me.

So while for gaming your theory is sound, I’m not sure my needs fall exactly the same.

I don’t have a need to game higher than 1080p, although I so watch and edit video at 4K.

I’m not building my pc for extreme gaming, so it might be a huge wast of money on a 1080 ti.

My pc needs do fall into some of the same issues as gaming pc’s though with heavy editing and color correction tasks.

What I’m seeing is that my issues are high cpu demand, and demand more than a “internal” video will support.

Ie, while a gpu will help leaps and bounds with what I’m doing, something over a 1030 or 1050 might not have much roi for me.

So while for gaming your theory is sound, I’m not sure my needs fall exactly the same.

I don’t have a need to game higher than 1080p, although I so watch and edit video at 4K.

Oh, sooorrryy. It's just, we are in the video game forum, and all. :)

I'll be honest I didn't check the price of the cases you posted, and I didn't even see the budget part in your thread title.

I just see posts about PC parts and I get wet.
When I pick out the rest of my parts and start documenting my build you will probably be as dry as the Sahara desert, Nothing over the top and fancy, I might , might splurge on a r7 2700x or I might do a 5, or a 7 1700.

But I am going ryzen for sure, research has shown in the multitasking elements I am struggling with on my laptop(i7 8700 variant, 16gb ram), that ryzen out performs intel on comparable cpu’s

Budget? Say no more fam!

PC-in-a-Box.jpg

Oh, sooorrryy. It's just, we are in the video game forum, and all. :)
Yes, and I am posting here since for the most part strong components from the gaming world are what I need, where as most regular desktop builds don’t need big gpu’s and tons of ram

When I pick out the rest of my parts and start documenting my build you will probably be as dry as the Sahara desert, Nothing over the top and fancy, I might , might splurge on a r7 2700x or I might do a 5, or a 7 1700.

But I am going ryzen for sure, research has shown in the multitasking elements I am struggling with on my laptop(i7 8700 variant, 16gb ram), that ryzen out performs intel on comparable cpu’s
Well it's for whatever your needs are. My new gaming computer set me back $2500 not including the 1180 that I'm waiting for in the fall, but I spend a lot of time gaming, and I also watch all my TV/sports on my PC as I don't have cable. Friends ask why I spend so much on a computer but it's basically my entertainment center for 7 years until I upgrade again. For you a 1050 is fine, I would consider an i5 8600 for your cpu as you would be set for years with a processor like that.

3. 16GB of RAM
5. Buy a cheap case
10. Enjoy

Cheapest Intel quad is the i3-8100 at $120 and only does 3.6ghz.
A Ryzen 3 1200 is $87 and will hit 3.8ghz overclocked. It’s a much better deal.

Well it's for whatever your needs are. My new gaming computer set me back $2500 not including the 1180 that I'm waiting for in the fall, but I spend a lot of time gaming, and I also watch all my TV/sports on my PC as I don't have cable. Friends ask why I spend so much on a computer but it's basically my entertainment center for 7 years until I upgrade again. For you a 1050 is fine, I would consider an i5 8600 for your cpu as you would be set for years with a processor like that.

I’m not buying an intel processor if I buy new, that much I am sure of research has shown in my particular multitasking uses that comparable ryzens outperform them, unlike in straight gaming.

If I find a too good to pass up i5 or 7 used locally I might run it for a bit, But it won’t stay forever.

I’m getting close to ditching cable, I’ve been trying to mainly watch Netflix or YouTube etc to see how I can do without cable, I’d be fine and I think the kid would too but the woman has a lot of hgtv shows and what not she can’t seem to get on the Netflix and you tube only trend.

I watch it a lot on my Xbox apps in the living room or our cable boxes now have YouTube and Netflix apps(albeit way slower than in the Xbox for searching and swaping shows etc).

I could get a couple more xbox’s For the other rooms and be fine.

We are redoing the home office right now and I want a big tv in there too, so I would use the pc for media on it I’m sure, or buy another Xbox.

Cheapest Intel quad is the i3-8100 at $120 and only does 3.6ghz.
A Ryzen 3 1200 is $87 and will hit 3.8ghz overclocked. It’s a much better deal.
I almost bought the new ryzen 3 that’s on new egg for 99.00 right now but just don’t think I can deal with a processor that slow but maybe.

I might do it, as long as the mobo I get will support a 5/7 at a later date

I almost bought the new ryzen 3 that’s on new egg for 99.00 right now but just don’t think I can deal with a processor that slow but maybe.

I might do it, as long as the mobo I get will support a 5/7 at a later date
It's not slow lol

I’m to the point now where I think I’m gonna bite the bullet on a newer processor and cpu thought and get one of the cheap 1050 ti’s Locally ,
I can go cheap on a decent cpu and Mobo too, and if to upgrade could just swap cpu out without changing both it would be one thing

Still deciding on that part.
Some of the new Ryzen chips have really nice igpus. Comparable to a 1030. And they don't need a new mobo with each generation, either.

It's not slow lol
While it might not be “slow” it definitely depends what you compare it to.
Seems silly to have an 8th gen i7 in my laptop and a 3 in a build.

But laptop processors don’t line up exactly with their desktop counter parts so.

I’m really struggling on building the cheapest thing possible to get something going, or buying the processor I’ll end up with right out of the gate.

What I should do is run cpu benchmark on my laptop then compare to the benchmarks on the processors etc I’m looking At

Back