PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

39683_P_1504756716324.jpg

https://www.umart.com.au/Silverston...MIjt3k0J6i3AIVyJW9Ch3clA_iEAQYAiABEgL1TPD_BwE

If you ask me this is the best aircooled case on the market.

OK. Story time.

I just built a new PC (minus GPU/PSU/CASE). I've been having some problems lately and not sure where they were stemming from. It could have been software for all I know. I trouble shot the best I could, but before I could get around to doing a fresh OS install, my system decided to stop powering up..

I took my system apart and put it back together, and it still wouldn't power up. The next morning it booted without issue. OK. WTF ? I left it, but then later that day it black screened and I had to power cycle the PSU. Again, it would not boot. Several hours later it turned on with a simple press of the power button.

By this time, i had narrowed it down to a hardware failure. I knew it wasn't the PSU because I pulled one from another system as a test with the same result.

It's a 3 yr old system by this point, so I sucked it up and purchased new hardware. I didnt want to buy a GPU since we are likely on the verge of next gen hardware from Nvidia. I also want to go mITX so I did not buy a new case. I will get a case and GPU when the next gen comes out.

Anyways, my parts arrived the next day so I spent a few hours gutting my case and installing the new system. Guess what? It didn't boot. Now I had to figure out WTF was going on. Either one of the new components was bad or something in the case. Again I rip everything out and put only the base hardware needed to boot: MOBO/CPU/RAM/PSU . System does not boot. FUCK MY LIFE.

On a hunch, I yank the power button from another case and hook it up. The system boots immediately.

So long story short, I spent $800 when I could have spent few bucks for a new power switch.

OK. Story time.

I just built a new PC (minus GPU/PSU/CASE). I've been having some problems lately and not sure where they were stemming from. It could have been software for all I know. I trouble shot the best I could, but before I could get around to doing a fresh OS install, my system decided to stop powering up..

I took my system apart and put it back together, and it still wouldn't power up. The next morning it booted without issue. OK. WTF ? I left it, but then later that day it black screened and I had to power cycle the PSU. Again, it would not boot. Several hours later it turned on with a simple press of the power button.

By this time, i had narrowed it down to a hardware failure. I knew it wasn't the PSU because I pulled one from another system as a test with the same result.

It's a 3 yr old system by this point, so I sucked it up and purchased new hardware. I didnt want to buy a GPU since we are likely on the verge of next gen hardware from Nvidia. I also want to go mITX so I did not buy a new case. I will get a case and GPU when the next gen comes out.

Anyways, my parts arrived the next day so I spent a few hours gutting my case and installing the new system. Guess what? It didn't boot. Now I had to figure out WTF was going on. Either one of the new components was bad or something in the case. Again I rip everything out and put only the base hardware needed to boot: MOBO/CPU/RAM/PSU . System does not boot. FUCK MY LIFE.

On a hunch, I yank the power button from another case and hook it up. The system boots immediately.

So long story short, I spent $800 when I could have spent few bucks for a new power switch.
As I was reading that I was thinking power switch, it’s common for them to short and have those exact issues.

According to this, and 1080p requiments which are a little more taxing than yours the cpu is the bottle neck in your system.

far cry 5 minimum system requirements 1080p
https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=31290&game=Far Cry 5

The ryzen 5 posted above would do it the cheapest, step up some cash for the i7

Yeah the CPU is the bottleneck. I guess what I was askung was do I upgrade to an i7 or do I go balls deep and go i9 to make sure this PC is good for gaming for a long ass time?

As I was reading that I was thinking power switch, it’s common for them to short and have those exact issues.
First time its ever happened to me.. Glad I found it. Now I can upgrade the HTPC.

Yeah the CPU is the bottleneck. I guess what I was askung was do I upgrade to an i7 or do I go balls deep and go i9 to make sure this PC is good for gaming for a long ass time?
I haven’t researched it but slower hz in the big i9’s might not be better for gaming than an 8700, with regards to value.

And by the time that’s not hanging in there the cheapest 900.00 i9 will probably be 400.00

Both your CPU and your GPU are bottlenecking your framerate. Again, your CPU is generally more capable across the gamut than your GTX 1050 Ti is. You are gaming at a lower framerate that is more intensive CPU-side (this is why you'll see extensive gaming CPU tests often test at lower resolutions). This may be why you have this misapprehension.

The i7-8700K is more than enough with 12 threads. If you go above that the i7-7820X (8c/16t) is actually the next step up on the Intel side. You're not going to find anyone on the web recommending Intel chips above that because you're talking about CPUs that cost more than double the price of the i7 gaming king (i.e. it would be cheaper to buy an i7-8700K today, and then its successor 2-3 generations down then road, than it would be to buy a single i9 processor).

Your GPU (video card) is the weak link if at 1080p-- especially for AAA games like that. At your resolution the CPU and GPU are closer to equally matched.

But we have a potential issue. Your GPU is a GTX 1050 Ti, and those can run off the motherboard, so is isn't certain that you have a PSU with a 6-pin connector (and sufficient power on a 12V rail) to power the more powerful GPUs. Is this an old office build? If so, then the PSU almost certainly isn't appropriate for gaming. If you can upgrade the GPU then upgrading that would likely be your cheapest fix, so it's worth sorting out. After all, if upgrading the GPU doesn't solve this, you're no worse for the wear, because you can just build a new computer with a new CPU/RAM, and then slot in that same GPU with the new build.

In that case, you really just need to assemble a new build. No better time than right now. Far Cry 5 is one of the most demanding dozen games currently in release on the PC platform. You've chosen a game that demands a higher class of machine.

OK. Story time.

Both your CPU and your GPU are bottlenecking your framerate. Again, your CPU is generally more capable across the gamut than your GTX 1050 Ti is. You are gaming at a lower framerate that is more intensive CPU-side (this is why you'll see extensive gaming CPU tests often test at lower resolutions). This may be why you have this misapprehension.

The i7-8700K is more than enough with 12 threads. If you go above that the i7-7820X (8c/16t) is actually the next step up on the Intel side. You're not going to find anyone on the web recommending Intel chips above that because you're talking about CPUs that cost more than double the price of the i7 gaming king (i.e. it would be cheaper to buy an i7-8700K today, and then its successor 2-3 generations down then road, than it would be to buy a single i9 processor).

giphy.gif

If I get a build like this:

CPU - i7-8700K
GPU - GeForce GTX 1080
RAM - 16GB

Will I not have to upgrade for the next 5 years? Or do I say fuck it, I'll just buy a Playstation 5 when it comes out?

Is an AU price though so what's that like $80usd?
Yeah probubaly close to that what’s the au to usd conversion these days, last time I was there it was hovering around .77 to .80 usd to au

CPU - i7-8700K
GPU - GeForce GTX 1080
RAM - 16GB

Will I not have to upgrade for the next 5 years? Or do I say fuck it, I'll just buy a Playstation 5 when it comes out?
I truely don’t think anything is upgrade proof for 5+ year spans.

If you want to play the newest games, at the highest settings and highest resolutions.

Turn that thing back to 720p and watch that frame rate jump through the roof with what you have

Hell ALOT of the top players today play in low settings on 720p to get fastest possible FPS and have all kinds of shit turned down to “play” better, while not looking better.

Have you ever tried 720p(or the closest 16:10 aspect ratio that fits your screen right) to see the difference?

On a 24” screen it can’t look that bad.

Hell I play doom 2016 on a 60” 720p sometimes but I’m like 12-13’ away on the couch.

Looks good to me :dunno:

CPU - i7-8700K
GPU - GeForce GTX 1080
RAM - 16GB

I recently cannibalized a computer. It had a Phenom II x6 1055T (2010) and an AMD Radeon HD 7970 (2011). Those were pretty high-end 7 years back.

The GPU can still handle every game on the market (ie, hits at least minimum requirements with some room). The CPU is just now starting to fall a little short, but can still run stuff like PUBG and Far Cry. That's a 7+ year old machine.

I'd guess that you'll be fine, barring a paradigm shift of some sort.

I recently cannibalized a computer. It had a Phenom II x6 1055T (2010) and an AMD Radeon HD 7970 (2011). Those were pretty high-end 7 years back.

The GPU can still handle every game on the market (ie, hits at least minimum requirements with some room). The CPU is just now starting to fall a little short, but can still run stuff like PUBG and Far Cry. That's a 7+ year old machine.

I'd guess that you'll be fine, barring a paradigm shift of some sort.

Far Cry 5? I doubt it. I also want to play Elder Scrolls 6 on relatively high settings.

I would have guessed the motherboard dictates what case you buy since the ports have to fit the case holes.

I would have guessed the motherboard dictates what case you buy since the ports have to fit the case holes.
Can you explain this a little better? I’m thinking unless I ended up with a server MOBO I’d be good

i/o shields have been the same size for at least 10 years. When it comes to cases you only need to worry about the mobo size. ATX, MATX, and ITX.
oH8ydTH.jpg

Back