PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

2012? Time for a new build. My old one is going to the bedroom when the next gen GPUs come out.
An i7-2600k will still hang with the big boys in gaming. If you're currently using an i7-2600k and want to upgrade, the $500+ spent still isn't worth the price for the amount of performance you get imo. You would better better off keeping your i5-2600k and spending that money towards a better graphics solution like a GTX1080 if you're still using an older card like a GTX660 or 7870. GTX1080's have been falling to sub $500 prices recently. Changing over to Ryzen wouldn't be much of an upgrade either unless you need those extra cores for something.

2012? Time for a new build. My old one is going to the bedroom when the next gen GPUs come out.

I've only built one gaming rig, and that was in fall 2014. I actually don't even really play modern games tho so I didn't need to go full all out, but even then it's really lasted me until now (only real upgrade is switching to a gtx 970 ... bought the damn rig like a month before the 9 series came out, like an idiot) and the only reason I even have to upgrade is wanting to push up to at least 2K.

I'm definitely waiting until the 11 (or whatever) series but I'm not sure if I want to wait for a new line of CPUs as well, that might push me to having to wait until Black Friday 2019 rather than spring 2019 I was hoping for. Just ... if I do wait until fall anyway I might even be able to shoot for 4K monitors in my price range.

Right now I'm hoping I can do 27", 2K resolution, 144hz refresh, 1ms response for my main/game monitor and ideally the same for the second window but I could live with 60hz refresh on the that one ... looks like it's probably over 400 to do that now, I wonder if you could do 32" @ 4K for around 350 on a black friday sale in 2019 ? Oh dang, I just looked, apparently they don't even make 4K 144hz monitors right now ? Yeeaaah they wouldn't be affordable by next year ...

Yeah, looks like shooting for solid/stable high fps at 2K might be by far best bang for the buck.

I've only built one gaming rig, and that was in fall 2014. I actually don't even really play modern games tho so I didn't need to go full all out, but even then it's really lasted me until now (only real upgrade is switching to a gtx 970 ... bought the damn rig like a month before the 9 series came out, like an idiot) and the only reason I even have to upgrade is wanting to push up to at least 2K.

I'm definitely waiting until the 11 (or whatever) series but I'm not sure if I want to wait for a new line of CPUs as well, that might push me to having to wait until Black Friday 2019 rather than spring 2019 I was hoping for. Just ... if I do wait until fall anyway I might even be able to shoot for 4K monitors in my price range.

Right now I'm hoping I can do 27", 2K resolution, 144hz refresh, 1ms response for my main/game monitor and ideally the same for the second window but I could live with 60hz refresh on the that one ... looks like it's probably over 400 to do that now, I wonder if you could do 32" @ 4K for around 350 on a black friday sale in 2019 ? Oh dang, I just looked, apparently they don't even make 4K 144hz monitors right now ? Yeeaaah they wouldn't be affordable by next year ...

Yeah, looks like shooting for solid/stable high fps at 2K might be by far best bang for the buck.

There isn't a video card that can push 4k 144hz on AAA games atm.
I do a 27" 1440p 144hz in the middle with a 27" 1080p 60hz panel next to it. Would highly recommend.

There isn't a video card that can push 4k 144hz on AAA games atm.
I do a 27" 1440p 144hz in the middle with a 27" 1080p 60hz panel next to it. Would highly recommend.

Yeah, I'm saying that I'm definitely waiting for the GTX 11* series (I'm not even sure it could maintain 144fps at 4K, but I don't really play the latest AAA games ... I'm at best a couple years behind on those). Mostly I'm worried about how long to wait to get the most bang for my buck ... and, yeah, even with new cards and cpus out next year it's probably best bang for buck to do an upper-mid range gaming rig that can slaughter 2K instead of holding out for later in the year and spending a bit more to have just a passable 4K experience.

@Count Zero

Have you considered going the ultrawide route?
Right now I have a 34" curved Ultrawide monitor and I wouldn't trade it for a 4k monitor for the world.

Samsung CF791 3440 x 1440 100Hz 4ms response time and accurate colors

If you have the desk space I would defiantly recommend it. Gaming and 4k movie watching looks great on this monitor and the absence of black bars really makes movies pop.

There are also plenty of flat screen 3440 x 1440 monitors if the curve if that's something that concerns you.
And if money is no option you might want to consider the newer HDR variants.

Best upgrade path Mobo considerations for amd

With the 1900x now being basically the same price as a r7 2700x, and the td 2’s right around the corner which socket type do you think will last longer?

Let’s say on a 2 year upgrade path.

Buy 2700x, two years from now try to buy a replacement cpu in the same price point, what are the odds the Mobo will still be there and competitive vs the std4 socket.

Say for example two years from now 1950x’s are sub 300, or the lowest td 2’s are sub 300.

I know in most benchmarks the 2700x slightly beats the td1900x, but looking to upgrade it in the future is the std4 Mobo socket make it a better plan than the am4?

I’m leaning hard on td 1900x thinking this way will lead to a much better upgrade possibility at that price point in the future?

Of course the cpu’s Are the same price relatively but the mobo’s are not. Gonna have to spend roughly an extra 150 out the gate on the td compatible Mobo.

I may start building a new desktop will do some research but I might ask people here for op

Thoughts on this? This is a new rig, pre-built. Also, no tax since I could just pick it up from the store.

upload_2018-8-12_16-37-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-12_16-35-29.png
    upload_2018-8-12_16-35-29.png
    566.5 KB · Views: 2
Thoughts on this? This is a new rig, pre-built. Also, no tax since I could just pick it up from the store.

View attachment 420691

It appears to be a great deal.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($359.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H80i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($163.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($154.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Green 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba - Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.50 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G Video Card ($699.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT - H440 (Glossy White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1762.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-12 20:37 EDT-0400

Asking for my brother. It looks like our Micro Center dropped the price of the Ryzen 1600 to $140 and the 2600 to $150. He's been set on the 1600 for his build but would you guys just grab the 2600 for $10 more? http://www.microcenter.com/category/4294966995,4294819840/amd-processors

Also, which mobo would you recommend? I was looking at the MSI Tomahawk B350 but our Micro Center hasn't had a unopened one in a while so no bundle there. I believe it was around $200 and that's around what he's looking to spend for these 2 pieces. Thanks in advance.

Asking for my brother. It looks like our Micro Center dropped the price of the Ryzen 1600 to $140 and the 2600 to $150. He's been set on the 1600 for his build but would you guys just grab the 2600 for $10 more? http://www.microcenter.com/category/4294966995,4294819840/amd-processors

Also, which mobo would you recommend? I was looking at the MSI Tomahawk B350 but our Micro Center hasn't had a unopened one in a while so no bundle there. I believe it was around $200 and that's around what he's looking to spend for these 2 pieces. Thanks in advance.

With the 2600, you'll get better over clocks and better memory support. Only con is the 1600 comes with a better cooler, but the one that comes with the 2600 is good enough. Notice I said good enough, it's not excellent but gets the job done.
Gaming benchmark comparison

ok so my 290x is behaving super weird.

its just shooting up in heat, for no reason. i havent even played a game but the heat is ridiculous

ok so my 290x is behaving super weird.

its just shooting up in heat, for no reason. i havent even played a game but the heat is ridiculous
Yo.. Update on my build. I built an entirely new PC except kept my 980ti GPU, and was still having crashes. I suspected RAM, so I sent the sticks back I purchased and ordered some that were listed on the motherboard QVL. Guess what? Still had crashes. I touched my GPU and it was screaming hot even when I wasnt gaming. I don't think my fans were running at all.

So long story short I built a new PC, and only needed a new GPU.. WHOOPS. Still going to wait for the new Nvidia line to come out. I am going to toy with my 980 to see if I can get the fans going, or maybe try to send it back under warranty.

Yo.. Update on my build. I built an entirely new PC except kept my 980ti GPU, and was still having crashes. I suspected RAM, so I sent the sticks back I purchased and ordered some that were listed on the motherboard QVL. Guess what? Still had crashes. I touched my GPU and it was screaming hot even when I wasnt gaming. I don't think my fans were running at all.

So long story short I built a new PC, and only needed a new GPU.. WHOOPS. Still going to wait for the new Nvidia line to come out. I am going to toy with my 980 to see if I can get the fans going, or maybe try to send it back under warranty.

I'm lucky in the fact that provided my 1080 ti survives until the new line comes out I'll be able to sell it and offset a lot of the cost for the new cards. I'm unlucky in the fact that I have no self control and need the best things in my computer constantly upgrading unnecessarily

If it’s under warranty why not just send it back? Unless it’s something simple with the fans like a wire.

If it ends up not being under warranty and you want to sell it let me know in a pm , I might be interested and water cool it

Best upgrade path Mobo considerations for amd

With the 1900x now being basically the same price as a r7 2700x, and the td 2’s right around the corner which socket type do you think will last longer?

Let’s say on a 2 year upgrade path.

Buy 2700x, two years from now try to buy a replacement cpu in the same price point, what are the odds the Mobo will still be there and competitive vs the std4 socket.

Say for example two years from now 1950x’s are sub 300, or the lowest td 2’s are sub 300.

I know in most benchmarks the 2700x slightly beats the td1900x, but looking to upgrade it in the future is the std4 Mobo socket make it a better plan than the am4?

I’m leaning hard on td 1900x thinking this way will lead to a much better upgrade possibility at that price point in the future?

Of course the cpu’s Are the same price relatively but the mobo’s are not. Gonna have to spend roughly an extra 150 out the gate on the td compatible Mobo.

Bueller?

So micro center is out of 1900x’s now, I would need to order from new egg etc.

But micro center has some really good 2700x Mobo combo deals so might get lazy and just do that.

I’ve really been dragging my feet lately. Need to shit or get off the pot.

Back