Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

still using the same computer since 2012. i purposefully bought a good cpu and weak gpu knowing i would update the gpu later. past due for an upgrade.

existing components:
i7 3770 3.4 ghz
8 gigs ram
460 watt power supply

existing card:
amd radeon 7500 series. this is a 64 mb card which was bottom of the line in 2012, certainly out of style for today's games

new card:
-looking to spend around $200 or less
-something that will be well-balanced with existing components. in other words, won't just create a new bottleneck. needs to work with a 460 watt power supply.

any ideas?

Does your mobo have pci-e slot?
i am pretty sure the existing card is in a pci e slot. the computer is a dell xps 8500 from 2012.

how about this card:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-n...0-graphics-card-black/5668600.p?skuId=5668600

Don't buy that card.
An AMD RX580 8gb is a little bit more than your budget but this is one of those times that spending a little bit extra goes a long ways. By spending an extra $20, you get almost a 50% increase in performance over that 1050ti.
Here's an RX580 8gb for $210 after a $20 mail in rebate.
www.amazon.com/dp/B06XZQMMHJ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_o7kGBbXCPW1MK

Graphics card prices were inflated due to the crypto currency mining boom. The boom has died and most video card prices have fallen back to normal, except the low end cards like the GTX1050ti. That card should be $140 max. They're terrible right now for the price/performance ratio.

Don't buy that card.
An AMD RX580 8gb is a little bit more than your budget but this is one of those times that spending a little bit extra goes a long ways. By spending an extra $20, you get almost a 50% increase in performance over that 1050ti.
Here's an RX580 8gb for $210 after a $20 mail in rebate.
www.amazon.com/dp/B06XZQMMHJ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_o7kGBbXCPW1MK

Graphics card prices were inflated due to the crypto currency mining boom. The boom has died and most video card prices have fallen back to normal, except the low end cards like the GTX1050ti. That card should be $140 max. They're terrible right now for the price/performance ratio.

thanks. that card has a recommended power supply of 500w. is 460w "close enough" or is this a pass/fail requirement?

As someone above stated up your budget just a little and go for a gtx 1060(240$ on ebay, new as cheap as 189 refurbished) or rx580. Both cards perform very similar. But while each card is similar they can play the same game better/worse(as the architecture is different on each card)so look into each card and the games you like.

thanks. that card has a recommended power supply of 500w. is 460w "close enough" or is this a pass/fail requirement?
I glossed over your power supply specs, sorry about that. It's a pass/fail type of thing, not enough power will cause all sorts of problems..
You're pretty much stuck with the 1050ti unless you want to change the power supply as well. I know you want to upgrade, but personally I'd wait. The prices on 1050ti's are horrible right now, MSRP is $140.
An AMD RX570 would squeak just under the power supply recommendations, 450w recommended, but they're an even worse value right now.

Check your local c list, mine is full of good deals on gpu’s.

I got a like new 1050 ti for 85.00

I’m seeing some really good deals on 580’s and 1070 ti’s too.

I might be upgrading again very soon.

Power supplies are cheap also. If you need to get a bigger one get one.

I glossed over your power supply specs, sorry about that. It's a pass/fail type of thing, not enough power will cause all sorts of problems..
You're pretty much stuck with the 1050ti unless you want to change the power supply as well. I know you want to upgrade, but personally I'd wait. The prices on 1050ti's are horrible right now, MSRP is $140.
An AMD RX570 would squeak just under the power supply recommendations, 450w recommended, but they're an even worse value right now.
Why not the 1060 3gb? It hits his power and price points comfortably

Why not the 1060 3gb? It hits his power and price points comfortably
It's finally back around MSRP price point, but compared to the RX580 8gb I posted above it falls behind in the price/performance. Prices will continue to fall on those 1060's as we near the release date of the 2000 series budget oriented cards.

I hear talks about the 2080 Ti videocard lately.
Interesting. Somebody buying that one ?

This is more of a cautionary tale than anything else...

So I just found a very active local facebook page for the 2nd hand pc hardware. Excited, I started wheeling and dealing. My goal was to sell my gtx 980 for 1080ti, since I upgraded to a 1440p g-sync monitor, the card just barely keeps it up at ultra settings. I posted my ad, and immediately got offers, was able to sell my card on the same day. Everything going well so far. I already planned to go to a store to get a sweet deal on a EVGA 1080ti that was selling new for about 650usd with tax included. When I got there, they told me it was selling like hot cake and they just sold out. (Lesson 1: buy your part first, then sell what you replaced. Lesson 2: If shop at physical store, call ahead). Annoyed, on the way home, I remembered I can still use my PC because it has integrated graphics. Went home to try and realized I forgot I was using display port cable to connect monitor and PC so I needed HDMI to use integrated graphics. So I got HDMI cable from my home theaters and realize the only ones that I can easily get at are the ones hooked from my htpc to receiver and blueray player to receiver and both were too short for my pc setup. (Lesson 3: Don't cheap out and buy short HDMI cable).

So I finally get my PC to work for now, 1080p @50hz of awesomeness. No games until I find a good deal on 1080ti.

just fired up a 970 and the display ports don’t seem to work.
HDMI port works, haven’t tried the dvi connectors but it working with hdmi.

The windforce version of the 970 I got has 3 display port, one hdmi and two dvi ports.

I’d like to get the display ports outputting.

Am I missing something?

And yes I set the monitor to display port input and nothing tried all 3, I can’t imagine all three would be bad , just got this used card today.

It looks clean and well taken care of so I was thinking I might be missing something?

Wrong version of display port maybe?

Update on my ghetto rig,

R3 on a gigabyte a320
8gb rm(gonna get another 8gb tonight more than likely)
Gtx 970

I never even used the 1050ti I got the screaming deal on, no need now.

Gonna get a better cpu and Mobo down the line so will probubaly put the 1050 in this one and sell it

Anyway seems to run good so far, haven’t played any games in it yet, just set it up and done a little photo editing.

Will edit some video this weekend

Will post some benchmarks later, only ran the cpu benchmark website one so far but it did pretty well.

On like set-ups it was in the 86% for benchmarks ran in there.

any ideas?
On the other forum i post on alot of people have had good luck with used gtx 970s. Alot of them have been selling for $120-150 recently and offer near 1060 3GB performance. Good bang for your buck for 1080p especially since new prices on mid/lowend cards are ripoffs currently

Pretty dang close and the 1060 6g doesn’t smoke it only barely beets it as well.
6GB 1060 is like 15% faster (it basically matches a gtx 980). 1060 3gb, 780ti, and 970 are for the most part all within 5% of each other.

Used 970 is great value for 1080p (gives good performance and buys you some time for either a new system rebuild or wait for next generation of cards to go all out)

anybody have issue downloading and running cinebench?

it downloads instantly, then when I try to run it I keep getting errors, deleted foder and tried 3 times now..

Im missing something stupid im sure...

Back