Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

So I need a new mobo, the budget one I got in a parts deal only has one pci-e slot and no native WiFi.

So two problems right off the bat, I’m using a WiFi usb dongle, it’s not terribly slow, but not blazing fast either as far as WiFi goes. So there is no room for a WiFi card. And there is also no space for a capture card, which I’ve been thinking about getting.

So two issues right off the bat, and I kinda want to play with sli or the new nvlink depending on what that requires.

Here is the real question, I recently got two msi monitors, and msi has a pretty cool program for download with the ability to control some optimized settings and color profiles etc etc without jacking with the real toggle.

Download from msi, guess what? Won’t run on a non msi motherboard!! Thanks msi!!

So here is the real question, when picking mobo brands these days does the brand of other components come into play?

Would i be better off getting an msi mobo for the monitor controls(I’m leaning toward yes for my usage), but the next question is when I get a new gpu are there benifits to making sure i get the msi version like the msi gaming x or titanium??

I’ve never been a brand whore with anything and always get the best of what ever I like for the specific purpose, but it seems like today with newer computer components there might be benifits to making sure some things are the same brand??

Perfect example of how I normally mix and match stuff in other interests and hobbies I have.

For any knife and or cooking enthusiasts, I don’t buy all my knives same brand, or a box set. When I get a new knife for a specific purpose I look at each one available for that purpose and buy off that vs getting whatever is in x knife brand line up.

My knife block looks like an eplectic picked the knives out. It has Shun,Wustoff,J.A. Henckles, Smith bros butchers and Kitchen Aid knives in it(the kitchen aid are the Old Pro knife series from when kitchen aid made profession quality knives for consumers. Not the target junk)

Anyway, another non sensical rant from yours truely.

Only benefit of having the same brand mobo and gpu is RGB synchronization. MSI makes a decent product, but the brands Asus, EVGA, and Gigabyte make a better product imo. MSI makes some good products, and they make some garbage. You just need to do your research.

Panel off
I think if I had a good rear exhaust fan it would work better with them on, as it is with the way my mobo sits with the top panel off the cpu fan blows the hot air strait out of the case, now the top is vented but it still gets a lot hotter than with it on.

I think if I had a good rear exhaust fan it would work better with them on, as it is with the way my mobo sits with the top panel off the cpu fan blows the hot air strait out of the case, now the top is vented but it still gets a lot hotter than with it on.
I have a small desktop ocelating fan next to my computer blowing away from the case

I have the panel off on my main gaming PC, more debris gets in there, but it runs cooler.

links look broken over here...

20180917_172015.jpg

Started this setup early this year

Omega chair
Omen PC
Alienware Curved Monitor
Razer blackwidow ultimate keyboard
Polaris mm800c rgb mouse pad
Hyperx Cloud 2 headphones
Logitech G pro wired mouse
Bose companion speakers
Amazon basics footrest
Glass computer desk
World map extended mousepad

Approx cost for everything - 6k

Last edited:
20180917_172015.jpg

Omega chair
Omen PC
Alienware Curved Monitor
Bose companion speakers
Amazon basics footrest
Glass computer desk

Those CABLES are killing me LOL.

Why no comp specs listed?

And why do you have three sets of headphones??

Those CABLES are killing me LOL.

Why no comp specs listed?

And why do you have three sets of headphones??

I7 8700k
Gtx 1080 ti
16gb ddr4

I prefer my stuff to be wired

Also have 3 other monitors I dont know what im going to do with

One set of headphones is for gaming, one is for music, and one is for portable use. I have a 4th pair somewhere too

I7 8700k
Gtx 1080 ti
16gb ddr4

I prefer my stuff to be wired

Also have 3 other monitors I dont know what im going to do with

One set of headphones is for gaming, one is for music, and one is for portable use. I have a 4th pair somewhere too
Oh no I prefer wired keyboard and mouse too.

I was talking about the haphazard monitor and pc cables , mine isn’t managed correctly yet either but I’m still doing some placement and hardware tests etc so I haven’t done a perfect job yet either.

But I’m overly anal with wiring normally.

Cool set-up by the way.

Oh no I prefer wired keyboard and mouse too.

I was talking about the haphazard monitor and pc cables , mine isn’t managed correctly yet either but I’m still doing some placement and hardware tests etc so I haven’t done a perfect job yet either.

But I’m overly anal with wiring normally.

Cool set-up by the way.

Thanks im a pretty hardcore gamer. The wires are a pain and I could tidy them up a bit.

Oh the pc is also liquid cooled with a 500gb ssd.

I forgot to turn on my mousepad lights for the pic

Its going to have to last at least 5 years so

20180917_172015.jpg

Omega chair
Omen PC
Alienware Curved Monitor
Bose companion speakers
Amazon basics footrest
Glass computer desk

What a gorgeous, minimalist setup. To the point. Function over form, and yet form is beautiful in its focus and function.

Bravo.

I wouldn’t do it. For one I have animals running around. You leave it exposed to debris and if someone touches it while it’s running you could fry the component. I think it would just be wiser to have a couple of good fans. But if you don’t have pets and you understand the risk I guess it’s not terribly dangerous

I wouldn’t do it. For one I have animals running around. You leave it exposed to debris and if someone touches it while it’s running you could fry the component. I think it would just be wiser to have a couple of good fans. But if you don’t have pets and you understand the risk I guess it’s not terribly dangerous
It’s on top of my desk, dogs not gonna mess with it and the kid doesn’t stick his fingers in the gpu fans so I’m not worried about it.

Went to Best Buy to get a 120mm to put in the rear and they didn’t have any header connectors. Who the f sells single fans but not headers.

I’ll get it at microcenter sometime this week they are cheaper on the fan I want anyway.

Edit : case only has one fan now a 200mm in front. I think the lack of a rear fan is the main issue.

I have no real choice but keep the glass panel on otherwise dog fur gets in since they love hovering under the table

Alright, today I decided to get off my lazyness and install the new ram kit I bought.

I bought http://www.microcenter.com/product/...c4-25600-cl16-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit

It was on sale and a better price per gig than one more of these that I had

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...c4-24000-cl16-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit

And they were faster(3200x3000). I figured I couldn’t use the 1x8 later when I build the selling computer with the parts I’m not using , so it wasn’t a waste.

Here lies the issue.

The gskillz ram is wider, and my mobo only has two ram slots.

The gskills ram hits the cpu fan and won’t install without a hammer, so I put 1x of the original Corsair 3k, and 1x of the gskillz 3200’s.

I only ran the userbenchmark series to compare so far but it only faired slightly better in most areas(besides the ram area specifically that one was now 101percentile for combo’s like mine.

Here is the dumb question, I know they are both running at 3k , will it run duel channel like this or would I be better off getting another Corsair 3k 8g stick until I can get another mobo?

Alright, today I decided to get off my lazyness and install the new ram kit I bought.

I bought http://www.microcenter.com/product/...c4-25600-cl16-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit

It was on sale and a better price per gig than one more of these that I had

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...c4-24000-cl16-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit

And they were faster(3200x3000). I figured I couldn’t use the 1x8 later when I build the selling computer with the parts I’m not using , so it wasn’t a waste.

Here lies the issue.

The gskillz ram is wider, and my mobo only has two ram slots.

The gskills ram hits the cpu fan and won’t install without a hammer, so I put 1x of the original Corsair 3k, and 1x of the gskillz 3200’s.

I only ran the userbenchmark series to compare so far but it only faired slightly better in most areas(besides the ram area specifically that one was now 101percentile for combo’s like mine.

Here is the dumb question, I know they are both running at 3k , will it run duel channel like this or would I be better off getting another Corsair 3k 8g stick until I can get another mobo?

I believe for dual channel, you have to match all the specs (speed, timings, maybe voltage?) Get a different cooler if the heatsink is hitting the RAM.

I believe for dual channel, you have to match all the specs (speed, timings, maybe voltage?) Get a different cooler if the heatsink is hitting the RAM.

I plan to get another mobo, in a new build in the not too distant future.

I thought about getting an aio, but the rad would mount on the top in this case, and I’m still dicking with stuff in it a lot. So I think it might become a nucense. I will more than likely have one in my next build however.

Tl/dr: I plan to buy another mobo here soon anyway, so live with the single channel speed of the mixed ram or get one more matching stick off eBay or craigslist etc in the meantime??

I plan to get another mobo, in a new build in the not too distant future.

I thought about getting an aio, but the rad would mount on the top in this case, and I’m still dicking with stuff in it a lot. So I think it might become a nucense. I will more than likely have one in my next build however.

Tl/dr: I plan to buy another mobo here soon anyway, so live with the single channel speed of the mixed ram or get one more matching stick off eBay or craigslist etc in the meantime??

If performance is acceptable just live with it until you upgrade the mobo.. I had 2 AIOs, but now prefer a nice air cooler.

I'm perfectly happy with my 1080ti and my 165hz predator 1440p screen, In a few months my e-peen will go floppy and I'll probably have a 2080ti after an impulse buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back