Sherdog POTWR: Round 2: The Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried making the best list I could and had round 1 involve revising the list. You certainly can be considered next year when this starts again. As for the rules, once Round 1 ends, everything is locked in place to ensure there isn't favoritism or manipulation of the outcome.
Tldr

Yes, it would wipe out all of the existing forms of welfare including section 8, food stamps, etc. I don't think there's a point in drawing a distinction between the south and elsewhere.
My opinion is that the market will clear up those issues over time. Also since the income is based on phasing out as income rises, by the time a family reaches $75k, they'll be receiving so little that it's not going to be a concern.

What about school choice?
It won't be necessary unless someone wants to pay for private school. If the fed is centralizing k-12 education then we won't see the district to district funding disparities that ultimately drive the need for school choice. Once we can be sure that every school district is receiving equal funding (which eliminates forum shopping for teachers and unequal facilities based on zip codes) then it's no longer the government's responsibility to ensure that those communities get the most out of their neighborhood schools. This is an important point because there is a legitimate issue with how funding disparities drives qualified teachers to seek the best paying jobs leaving the poorest students with the least qualified/least experienced instructors. Teachers will still change districts but it won't be because of pay discrepancies between poor and rich students.

People think that free college equates to automatic admission. It doesn't, they are completely separate points.
Free college just means no tuition IF YOU EARN ADMISSION. This actually raises the quality of the public universities. It makes admission more competitive and more selective. You won't have D students in public universities because all of the A and B students will grab all of the seats to avoid the expense of private universities.

I wouldn't do anything about the taxes. Of course it's fair that some people pay no income tax.
The absurdity of that question falls squately in the crosshairs of a progressive taxation plan. Is it fair that some people pay 33% and others only pay 15%? Is it fair that some people have deductions and some people don't? All the same fundamental question.

So, no, I don't expect everyone to pay something. We can't be childish or vindictive when it comes to funding a great society and that means we don't get bogged down in trying to squeeze the poor for more money just to make some nebulous point. What we do is create opportunities for the poor to enter into the tax paying portion of the tax code. It's absurd to think that taxing poor people, just to make sure their paying something, actually accomplishes anything except preserving their poverty. Which shouldn't be our goal.

If you want to heal the divide between the cops and the communities, we need to stop sugar coating the race related themes we bring to these conversations (including the coded language that people use both knowingly and unknowingly).
People need to stop acting as if this divide just arose from malfeasance within those communities and isn't the product of decades of cyclical abuse from the government, enforced by the cops, coupled with poverty and garnished with decades of disenfranchisement.

There's no role for the fed in that. The fed can't stop people from assuming that every black person is less intelligent or prone to violence or only successful because of PC-ness. People who hold those positions are the problem. Whether they are politicians, police, or deli owners. The government can't change attitudes and until those attitudes reduce you can't expect the people who are focus of those attitudes to act as if everything is hunky dory. If I think you hate me or think I'm stupid or whatever, you can't expect me to accept your perspective on my life.

I have this conversation with my wife frequently. She dislikes certain clients of mine. Fine. Then she acts surprised when they say "Panamaican, I don't think your wife likes me." As I tell my wife - if you think poorly of someone, you telegraph it in tons of subtle ways and it's ignorant to think that they won't pick up on it and respond. Society needs to learn this lesson.[/spoiler]
solid answers, agree with most everything.

so basically you are telling me that the cop/citizen relationship will never get better. it's a circle, citizens think cops don't like them or pick on them so they tell their kids not to trust cops which causes resentment and on and on and on..

so what would it take from a police perspective to change the minds of citizens and about how many generations do you think that would take?

After reading this thread, deliberating over each candidates platform, consulting their post/thread histories and weighing the answers to my historical analysis question, I have decided to endorse

I feel he brings a well rounded set of qualifications coupled with overall intelligence complimented by pragmatism and the ability to constructively criticize without trolling. We may not agree on everything, but he has my vote and my endorsement.

After reading this thread, deliberating over each candidates platform, consulting their post/thread histories and weighing the answers to my historical analysis question, I have decided to endorse

I feel he brings a well rounded set of qualifications coupled with overall intelligence complimented by pragmatism and the ability to constructively criticize without trolling. We may not agree on everything, but he has my vote and my endorsement.

The Limbo Pete endorsement comes in right before voting. It's all over folks. It's fucking over!

Well, at least Pete isn't in Limbo any more.

Should have endorsed me, but whatever. We all make mistakes.

Well, at least Pete isn't in Limbo any more.

Should have endorsed me, but whatever. We all make mistakes.

Damn that was good. I'm mad at how good that was. It seems so obvious now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back