sherdog vs reddit vs checkhook predictions

Boxing Prophet

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you all know about www.boxingprophet.com

The general idea is that you predict fights and compete against other users. There’s been similar-ish sites/apps out there but hopefully you agree this is already a little different and we have a bunch more ideas to add once the key concept has been tested out a little.

It’s currently in a kind of ’open beta’ demonstrating the basic functionality of the site and now we’re looking to attract some boxing fans that are interested in using the site and providing feedback.

The newest feature we added was for the users of /r/boxing and checkhookboxing to compete with each other and we decided to open this up to the other forums, so if you’d like to represent sherdog then you can join the contest here: http://www.boxingprophet.com/?contestInvite=1475942c4b4d8165e

I would like to say that despite my best efforts to contact the mods directly, I haven’t received any sort of reply. I wouldn’t ordinarily post this straight up but as it’s not a commercial site (it’s completely free and comes out of our own pocket) I’m hoping it isn’t against the rules to post it.

Just so you know, sherdog will appear on the contest once the minimum of three users sign up and follow the link.

just signed up to sherdog let alone boxing prophet - is there some kind of newbie restriction or can I immediately join up and take everybody here down with me?

Who are you people?

I signed up and am going to purposefully bomb our team's chances.

That's my excuse when all my picks are shit

Congratulations guys & gals, you have enough people playing for Team Sherdog to start competing.

I have a couple of tips for you...

a) You have up until roughly 24 hours prior to to the fight to make your prediction (or change it), however I recommend getting a prediction in early just in case. I like to make a prediction on everything and then revise it in the couple of days before the fight, but that's just me.

b) A minimum of three people have to make a prediction for predictions to qualify as Team Sherdog against the other forums, so to try to predict as many as possible until we can get a few more users.

c) If you'd like to know when new fights are added, feel free to follow on twitter @boxing_prophet or facebook fb.com/boxingprophet

edit: bad spooling

Last edited:
The first weekend's results are in (apart from the disappointing cancellation of the Frampton/Gutierrez fight). This weekend acted as a nice little trial run ahead of the start of a new month. We have six registered members from these forums so easily enough to qualify for the forum battle in all the matches.

Top right now is “itsed” who has been on Boxing Prophet a little while. So, if we look at the best new users from sherdog we have xcutioner (83 points), JayE (53 points), and then others all with 0!

JayE actually only predicted 2 results but got them both right (50% perfect) so well done.

Unfortunately overall sherdog came 3rd in the 2 fights you predicted. You managed to screw Garcia/Broner completely but did more respectfully on Charlo/Heiland.

We have Lomachenko/Marriaga next week (the winner of which should be pretty easy to predict) so get your votes in, and I hope to see you guys in the monthly high score table.

What? People on here picked Broner?

My bad guys, I didn't even remember I signed up for this shit. I gotta remember to lock in my picks earlier in the week. I promise I wont screw the pooch this week.

What? People on here picked Broner?

I'm assuming most signed up & either forgot they did so (me) or were defeated by the website's design & interface when they did remember (also me).

My bad guys, I didn't even remember I signed up for this shit. I gotta remember to lock in my picks earlier in the week. I promise I wont screw the pooch this week.

Personally I put predictions on everything as soon as they appear on the site and then revise any where I change my mind during the build-up. You can change or remove any of your predictions up until about 24hrs before fight time.

I'm assuming most signed up & either forgot they did so (me) or were defeated by the website's design & interface when they did remember (also me).

As we've added features in the last few weeks it's got a bit cluttered. We are working on interface at the moment so feedback and requests regarding the interface and general design would be particularly well received at the moment.

As a heads up - a couple of fights have been added for this weekend so lay your predictions down and hopefully we'll see Sherdog get some points this weekend.

I'm at 90% accuracy on this game so far - the Shiming v Kimura fight screwed me because I shouldn't have bet on a fight where I didn't know shit about either guy!

I'm about as interested in what people on Reddit have predicted as I am popping my balls on a belt sander.

Well done guys. You got your first victory over Reddit and Checkhook with Herrera vs Karass.

Points/Scoring Update
We’ve made a change to the way points are allocated on the site - previously it was done statically based on the ‘guide odds’ of the bout. But now, points are assigned dynamically in proportion with how the community voted - in other words, outcomes deemed less probable by the community will award more points and in proportion to how-much-less-probable they are.

What that really means is that you’ll now notice that during the lead-up to a fight (and after you’ve made a prediction), you’ll see the points you’re playing for increase (if the community are disagreeing) or decrease (if the community are agreeing) accordingly.

If you want to look into the exact formula we’re using it’s available at the top of this page: https://www.boxingprophet.com/?scoring - but all you really need to know is that the community-split is now what's proportionally and dynamically assigning points.

Back