Sherdog's Own Dan Theodore on Stephan Kesting Podcast!

He posted a video of him receiving his bjj black belt by a legit guy- I just don't remember who it was.

So I listened to the interview. I got to say @Stephan Kesting is a really good interviewer. That was the fist time I had heard his podcast. Too many people try to do this and then have a me too story for everything their guest say, or the have a list of questions and never go deeper into an answer to explore it a little. Good job.

Yeah. My favorite episodes are his interview episodes. He's excellent at that!

As far as the rest - meh. Nothing new if you've ever heard Dan speak before. "NAMEDROP NAMEDROP....THEN I SHOWED NAMEDROP X TECHNIQUE AND THAT'S WHY YOU SEE IT IN THE UFC TODAY!"

The 10 man fight was especially cringeworthy. He got a little manic so I may have misunderstood him, but was he seriously claiming to have been defending himself against 10 dudes by using up-kicks?

As for the rest - he didn't say anything other, more respectable blackbelts haven't said about BJJ and I'm sorry, but someone who believes all the Systems BS isn't going to be the guy to fix it. Dan, if you're reading this - You mention multiple times in the interview that you don't know why people don't listen to you - believing in the nonsense Mikhail Ryabko spews isn't helping your case. At all. He's basically the Russian George Dillman ...

Over-all fun listen even if no new ground was broken. lol

Edit:

I forgot to add - The part where Stephen mentions that the little bit of catch wrestling he knows comes from Eric Paulson and then asks Dan where his catch comes from was pure gold!

Last edited:
Yeah. My favorite episodes are his interview episodes. He's excellent at that!

As far as the rest - meh. Nothing new if you've ever heard Dan speak before. "NAMEDROP NAMEDROP....THEN I SHOWED NAMEDROP X TECHNIQUE AND THAT'S WHY YOU SEE IT IN THE UFC TODAY!"

The 10 man fight was especially cringeworthy. He got a little manic so I may have misunderstood him, but was he seriously claiming to have been defending himself against 10 dudes by using up-kicks?

As for the rest - he didn't say anything other, more respectable blackbelts haven't said about BJJ and I'm sorry, but someone who believes all the Systems BS isn't going to be the guy to fix it. Dan, if you're reading this - You mention multiple times in the interview that you don't know why people don't listen to you - believing in the nonsense Mikhail Ryabko spews isn't helping your case. At all. He's basically the Russian George Dillman ...

Over-all fun listen even if no new ground was broken. lol

Edit:

I forgot to add - The part where Stephen mentions that the little bit of catch wrestling he knows comes from Eric Paulson and then asks Dan where his catch comes from was pure gold!

When was this? Around what min mark please

Back