Shevlin vs Flores

Vols1891

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know someone who has a collection of old school boxing gloves, and he said he would sell me a pair. I am trying to decide between a pair of Shevlins and Flores. Can anyone give me a recommendation and perhaps compare and contrast these two brands for me. In terms of looks, I like the gloves equally; he is, however, asking a little more for the Flores gloves. Thanks!

Flores in terms of value, and in my opinion, design and workmanship.

I guess if both custom gloves were made for the same individual, then they would both fit similarly. However, generally speaking, the design of the Flores is better.

I know that Larry Holmes really liked Shevlin, and Freddie Roach enjoyed them as well. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the Shevlin glove started becoming almost unusable once they started using synthetic fibres instead of animal hair.

There are many former pro's from California that loved Flores, but it was a west coast thing so I don't think a lot of east coast folk knew about Flores. Apparently Ali liked Flores (I would guess Ray Flores' gloves), and he probably found them when he was training in SF. George foreman used the Flores glove I know, and he had gloves made by both Ray Flores and Dan Mosby.

Hey guys, I know someone who has a collection of old school boxing gloves, and he said he would sell me a pair. I am trying to decide between a pair of Shevlins and Flores. Can anyone give me a recommendation and perhaps compare and contrast these two brands for me. In terms of looks, I like the gloves equally; he is, however, asking a little more for the Flores gloves. Thanks!

I would go with the Flores gloves. Flores are horse hair filled and Shevlin is synthetic or cotton filled ( real soft ). I have both and the Flores are more dense by far. Shevlin gloves mold to your hand , but Flores look better.

Just my opinion.

l@nd0 .

I would go with the Flores gloves. Flores are horse hair filled and Shevlin is synthetic or cotton filled ( real soft ). I have both and the Flores are more dense by far. Shevlin gloves mold to your hand , but Flores look better.

Just my opinion.

l@nd0 .
Thanks for your help guys. I ended up just getting both.

Thanks for your help guys. I ended up just getting both.

why-not-both-animated-gif-7.gif

<mma4> .

Shevlin - pretty much unusable. I don't have their gloves from way back when, however, when they used to be hair filled.

Flores gloves are definitely usable, but I have yet to encounter a pair that fit properly. For now, they are collectibles. @Vols1891 - post some pics when you get them?

Not all of the glove I have have attached thumbs... which is definitely mandatory if using for sparring.

Do you guys use these gloves? Or are they for a collection?

Flores gloves are all crunchy the hair padding that is. Shevlin is still useable for light sparring and padwork. But the pair I have are one of the last made before they closed up shop. So way newer.

<Fedor23> .

Shevlin - pretty much unusable. I don't have their gloves from way back when, however, when they used to be hair filled.

Flores gloves are definitely usable, but I have yet to encounter a pair that fit properly. For now, they are collectibles. @Vols1891 - post some pics when you get them?

Not all of the glove I have have attached thumbs... which is definitely mandatory if using for sparring.
I’ll definitely post some pics. I’m out of town at the moment and don’t have the gloves with me but I will post some pictures when I return. I actually did use them a little bit on the heavy bag (not throwing very hard though). They definitely felt different than I’m used to but I kind of like the feel. The Shevlins are a little uncomfortable because they are molded to someone else’s hand.

Back