Shin breaks in muay thai?

From Muaythai focus facebook

been a lot of talk all over the net about the recent leg break with Anderson Silva. Cant say I have ever seen it happen in a fight involving two top level Thai fighters. This fight from the main event at Lumpini on Christmas eve saw a nasty break to one of the fighters forearm bones though. The fight was between Denpanom Rongriankhorat (red) and Uisiewpho Sujibameekiew (blue). Ive been impressed by Denpano in recent fights and see him as a potential big name in future, I thought Uisiewpho may have been a little too experienced for him though after have some strong performances against some big names this year. I was a little suprised when Denpanom won comfortably on points, but after the fight it turned out Uisiewpho fought with this fracture to his arm. Testament to the heart and spirit of Uisiewpho though that the break happened apparently in the second round and he went the full distance. Hope he can make a speedy recovery and return to the ring!

If you watch Anderson training he looks lazy,he never seems to be kicking pad,bag or anything with full power.
So add age to that and poor conditioning and you get a snap.
It really is a pain when the UFC talk about what an epic Muay Thai fighter Anderson is when which world class Muay Thai fighter did he fight full Thai rules?
I think his style was more tricky kickboxing.
Conditioning is the key.

This
Anderson is a good mma striker, but not a world class striker

This thread=Overanalyzing a very rare occurence. Anything could've triggered that break, silva's frame and health at the time of the fight, bad angle, previous injury, or just chance.

That being said, it's true you don't throw full power lowkicks right off the bat unless you're sure you have a soft target or your opponent is weak to them or have started figuring out your opponent over time and know whether he will actively defend them or not.

Weidman's solid frame vs silva's long skinny legs, not a good match.

I know there's no scientific basis but i always see these breaks happen to the long limbed skinny guys.

Besides....everyone knows MOO TAI is all about them knees, elbows and rapid high kicks. Ong Bak style! Let the Dutchies worry about making low blows and dirty tactics like leg hunting.

Last edited:
What's more interesting than the break is weidman's retarded superhuman strength neutralizing silva's muay thai clinch by just wildly punching him in the ear. THAT was when i knew silva was in trouble, the 2 handed clinch is pretty much his mortal kombat fatality position, a lesser fighter would not be able to escape it so easily.

Gotta hand it to weidman for that.

This!

A lot of MMA guys look at checks like they're just a block but they can be used offensively to hurt the kicker. Anderson was already getting his kicks checked and continued to telegraph them without setting them up with hand combinations or feints. That's on him, not a freak accident IMO.

Tried to tell that in the heavies, it just got ignored and people keep on calling "Fluke! Fluke!"

I like everything about MMA/K-1 and Muay Thai about from low kick's.

Some people mentioned the importance of the technique (turning your hips). I wonder if the distinction between an inside and an outer low-kick also matters. As I searched YT for videos of leg breaking fights, I noticed that more of these breaks occurred with an inside low-kick (of course, could be just a coincidence). If that is true, my reasoning for that would be the following:

Inside low-kicks are typically done in a slight upward motion (as you're trying to hit the opponent's soft inner thigh), but if it gets checked, you are not only hitting into his hard knee cap - you are also hitting perpendicularly into his thigh bone, which means there is a lot of resistance and the force will be transferred completely.

With outer low-kicks the movement of your leg is more likely horizontal or even in a downward motion, and even if it does get blocked with a knee, you are not hitting directly into his thigh bone, but at an angle, which means that the force vector is going to decompose in a different way.

Last edited:
Some people mentioned the importance of the technique (turning your hips). I wonder if the distinction between an inside and an outer low-kick also matters. As I searched YT for videos of leg breaking fights, I noticed that more of these breaks occurred with an inside low-kick (of course, could be just a coincidence). If that is true, my reasoning for that would be the following:

Inside low-kicks are typically done in a slight upward motion (as you're trying to hit the opponent's soft inner thigh), but if it gets checked, you are not only hitting into his hard knee cap - you are also hitting perpendicularly into his tight bone, which means there is a lot of resistance and the force will be transferred completely.

With outer low-kicks the movement of your leg is more likely horizontal or even in a downward motion, and even if it does get blocked with a knee, you are not hitting directly into his thigh bone, but at an angle, which means that the force vector is going to decompose in a different way.
You are correct, sir.

Anderson had brilliantly adapted striking for MMA, I don't think we can deny that.

Remember when people would say he'd run through a classic K-1 tournament though? Actually, some probably still do say that.

Inside low-kicks are typically done in a slight upward motion (as you're trying to hit the opponent's soft inner thigh), but if it gets checked, you are not only hitting into his hard knee cap - you are also hitting perpendicularly into his tight bone, which means there is a lot of resistance and the force will be transferred completely.
I have always been taught to block with the thick upper part of the shin bone, not the kneecap or the femur (I suppose that was what you meant by "tight bone"?). The reason for why you don't block with the knee is that the kneecap will break sooner than the opponent's shin bone will. Sure, a fractured patella might not be as serious of an injury as a fractured tibia, but you will both be on crutches for some time.

I have always been taught to block with the thick upper part of the shin bone, not the kneecap or the femur.

Exactly, it should be shin bone. Knee is just a coincidence.

(I suppose that was what you meant by "tight bone"?).

Sorry, that was my typo. I meant into the THIGH bone (into its intersection). Thanks for noticing.

I hit my shin on the coffee table yesterday when I got up to get funyuns. I gave myself a mandatory eight count.

Pros aren't kicking banana trees as part of regular training that's a big myth. Most shin conditioning comes from the heavybag.

Let me ask you a question. Is it normal for your shins to not hurt at all despite you kicking the heavy bag? I've been kicking the hardest/heaviest bag at my gym since I first started and my shins have never hurt.

Back