shin/calf kick

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
seems like lots of guys are doing this alot lately what do you guys think of it? and how to deal with it rory mac donald got knocked down tonight due to it and jacked his leg

It's pretty good, it's hard to defend with a normal check because if you try to check it it just pulls your ankle along and off balances you, it also causes swelling to go more directly to the knee. All in all, it's a good weapon to have. In order to deal with it you check it by turning your leg out without lifting it - but asking MMA fighters to have two types of check in their arsenal when they barely check conventional low kicks is probably a bit much.

I use them more often than regular low kicks for the reasons @AndyMaBobs said about it being so hard to check. I find them a lot quicker to throw as well which makes them beautiful for countering kicks and knocking people on there ass. As an inside kick I find if its thrown with any decent power 8/10 times it widens the guys stance making follow up strikes easier (Beware of Lawler Manhoef type shit). Aiming around the knee is fun too.

n thats why i use leg kicks as my opportunity to wrestle i train to single leg inside leg kicks and double outside or step in with big bombs as they throw if i didnt time my shot in time

but asking MMA fighters to have two types of check in their arsenal when they barely check conventional low kicks is probably a bit much.
RareBlissfulIsopod.gif

I'm loving how techniques that are almost exclusive to traditional martial arts are making their way into MMA.

It's not a technique you see really taught in modern styles like MT, kickboxing, Kyokushin etc.

It is a technique though that I have seen taught in old school traditional styles like Okinawan Karate & Muay Boran, Wado Ryu etc.

It's kind of funny & at the same time ironic that until recently people have recognized it's value. Prior to that people use to shit on many traditional martial arts techniques including that - fast forward a decade later and it's becoming popular & more importantly for MMA seems to be a better fit.

In order to deal with it you check it by turning your leg out without lifting it

It's not an easy kick to check imo. Even if you do manage to do some semblance of a check because the kick is aimed at the calf you're making bone on bone contact with your opponent - on the same length of shin they are using to kick you. It won't really have the same effect as a check would with a conventional low kick aimed at the thigh where you're checking someone's shin with a significantly thicker part of your tibula - than the part of the tibula they are hitting you with.

Also even if you check like that - you'll knee will still get tweaked. IMHO it's much easier to just manage your distance & move out of range. Or just simply lift up your leg, or throw a kick from your lead leg.

I can't wait until people start realizing you can actually pull of back-fists & other non-conventional hand strikes that you see often see in TMAs that many in combat sports have ridiculed - it will be incredibly ironic to see everyone scrambling to learn it years from now when someone starts effectively doing it in the cage.

I use them more often than regular low kicks for the reasons @AndyMaBobs said about it being so hard to check. I find them a lot quicker to throw as well which makes them beautiful for countering kicks and knocking people on there ass. As an inside kick I find if its thrown with any decent power 8/10 times it widens the guys stance making follow up strikes easier (Beware of Lawler Manhoef type shit). Aiming around the knee is fun too.

isnt that kinda fuked though to aim at a guys knee in a cage fight thats career ending injuries you are trying to do like getting a heel hook and jerking it hard unless its a fight for the belt idk if thats cool t use

I'm loving how techniques that are almost exclusive to traditional martial arts are making their way into MMA.

It's not a technique you see really taught in modern styles like MT, kickboxing, Kyokushin etc.

It is a technique though that I have seen taught in old school traditional styles like Okinawan Karate & Muay Boran, Wado Ryu etc.

It's kind of funny & at the same time ironic that until recently people have recognized it's value. Prior to that people use to shit on many traditional martial arts techniques including that - fast forward a decade later and it's becoming popular & more importantly for MMA seems to be a better fit.
That's part of the system. Its an open style format, but due to what's been successful everyone's a generic kickboxing, wrestling, BJJ guy. So TMA techniques make waves due to being new and foreign.

The people shitting on it were casual retarded fans, fighters and coaches are for the most part open minded given it works and is economical to implement.

Only 1 coach is saw on video was ignorant. It was with the imma wing chun man. During the tryouts one guy did a judo throw, got the guy in scarf from it. Then I the guy goes (paraphrasing) "Don't do that judo shit, it doesn't work"

Doesn't work? He took the guy down, put him in scarf, has dominant position, and probably did damage from the throw itself. lol

isnt that kinda fuked though to aim at a guys knee in a cage fight thats career ending injuries you are trying to do like getting a heel hook and jerking it hard unless its a fight for the belt idk if thats cool t use

Getting kicked in the head is pretty fucked too. So is agreeing to fight another trained martial artist. Its not like its an illegal tactic. Im not blasting my sparring partners but in a fight whats the difference between that and a front or side kick to the thigh that hyper extends the knee? or Mike Perry literally saying "Who's life do yall want me to ruin next?" If its effective why not use it to win a fight?

Getting kicked in the head is pretty fucked too. So is agreeing to fight another trained martial artist. Its not like its an illegal tactic. Im not blasting my sparring partners but in a fight whats the difference between that and a front or side kick to the thigh that hyper extends the knee? or Mike Perry literally saying "Who's life do yall want me to ruin next?" If its effective why not use it to win a fight?

yeah but come on u get koed with a kick to the head guys get koed all the time but come back fine knee kicks do put people out knee injuries are no joke look at cruz

yeah but come on u get koed with a kick to the head guys get koed all the time but come back fine knee kicks do put people out knee injuries are no joke look at cruz

Cruz has been injured out of camp or prepping for a fight more than he has from people kicking him in the knee. There are also a bunch of guys who get badly KOd then are never the same. Id rather get my leg torn apart by a kick then get kod and kod over again because I got kod but think im physically fine. Im not saying it wont put people out but people do come back from both kos and knee injuries. Both are apart of the game in my opinion. Why not have it in your arsenal

Woodley vs Condit
Barboza vs Lullo
Barboza vs Oliveira
Rizzo vs Shamrock

All pretty close if not on the knee

Man the definition of modern and traditional martial arts still trigger me.

It's not an easy kick to check imo. Even if you do manage to do some semblance of a check because the kick is aimed at the calf you're making bone on bone contact with your opponent - on the same length of shin they are using to kick you. It won't really have the same effect as a check would with a conventional low kick aimed at the thigh where you're checking someone's shin with a significantly thicker part of your tibula - than the part of the tibula they are hitting you with.

Also even if you check like that - you'll knee will still get tweaked. IMHO it's much easier to just manage your distance & move out of range. Or just simply lift up your leg, or throw a kick from your lead leg.

I can't wait until people start realizing you can actually pull of back-fists & other non-conventional hand strikes that you see often see in TMAs that many in combat sports have ridiculed - it will be incredibly ironic to see everyone scrambling to learn it years from now when someone starts effectively doing it in the cage.
Shidokan Karate blackbelt Shonie Carter used to spam spinning backfists like crazy. :D He has 2 official KOs using that strike - vs Keith Wisniewski and Matt Serra.

wlEEDgW.gif

I spent a number of years in TKD before I ended up in kickboxing, took me a while to learn kick checks but I sure knew how to move in & out fast so that's what I did to defend low kicks. I had a wider stance at the time so I'd step my front leg back to avoid the low kick while keeping my rear leg in place, then quickly step back in with the front leg and attack with something. I think this might work pretty well against calf kicks as well, recovering from missed kicks is something that MMA fighters haven't figured out yet and if you can quickly step back in on a guy when he's just missed a kick he'll be wide open for attacks.

Shidokan Karate blackbelt Shonie Carter used to spam spinning backfists like crazy. :D He has 2 official KOs using that strike - vs Keith Wisniewski and Matt Serra.

The hilarious part was he got Serra with it again on TUF and had him doing the fish dance.:D

wlEEDgW.gif
More like pimp slap

wlEEDgW.gif

It's kind of crazy that since then no-one has tried any other type of hand strike except the spinning back fist. I think strikes like uraken uchi & kote uchi would be something you could use right of the bat. Uraken uchi is not that much different to a spinning back fist and it's perfect to use after any roundhouse type strike like a hook (that's also conveniently how we see it used in kata).

Something also I think would be great to use is shoken or nukite - not at the face but with strikes to the body like the solar plexus (I wouldn't suggest the liver/floating rib because you'd probably smash your hands). Strikes like that to the solar plexus are incredibly painful.

I mean I don't think people outside of Karate know how destructive sokusen geri is - especially someone that's dedicated the time needed to apply that technique. It's a fight finishing kick that you don't really see applied because you need to put years into the technique to be able to use it without smashing your toes to bits.

@Azam

You know we all don't speak Karate right?
?

Oops lol.

Uraken uchi is like a backfist but from the guard without the need to really spin - a bit like this:

It works well for example if you throw a missed hook and then follow up with a backfist with the same hand (also it can be like a close-line if you connect with the forearm instead of the hand).

Kote uchi - is a forearm strike - a bit like a close line punch or overhand but with the bone of the lower forearm:

Bas Rutten has been advocating it's use for years - I'm on the same page. It's hard to block against a strike like that.

Sokusen is like a front kick with the balls of the feet - but instead of using the balls of your feet you're using the toes (they might have something like that in old school tkd). It takes years to be able to apply it for obvious reasons but because it's less surface area than the balls of your feet - it hurts a fuck tonne getting kicked in the stomach. I've had it done to me - it's probably the most painful front kick I've ever been hit with - and it wasn't even done on purpose.

Nukite is basically using your fingertips to strike. Sounds like a movie or stupid - but it has less surface area than knuckles and it does work. It also requires a bit of time to apply. Shoken is using only one finger knuckle to strike - when I use to do kyokushin sparring - one of the guys would punch me to the body using one knuckle instead of two. It hurt like a mf - even though he was older/smaller than me.

It's kind of crazy that since then no-one has tried any other type of hand strike except the spinning back fist. I think strikes like uraken uchi & kote uchi would be something you could use right of the bat. Uraken uchi is not that much different to a spinning back fist and it's perfect to use after any roundhouse type strike like a hook (that's also conveniently how we see it used in kata).

Something also I think would be great to use is shoken or nukite - not at the face but with strikes to the body like the solar plexus (I wouldn't suggest the liver/floating rib because you'd probably smash your hands). Strikes like that to the solar plexus are incredibly painful.

I mean I don't think people outside of Karate know how destructive sokusen geri is - especially someone that's dedicated the time needed to apply that technique. It's a fight finishing kick that you don't really see applied because you need to put years into the technique to be able to use it without smashing your toes to bits.
Disclaimer: I am going to put translated Western names of Karate techniques into brackets for @ARIZE since his Google is broken. ;)

I agree with You but actually among MMA guys with at least some Karate background I have seen the mawashi (roundhouse) to uraken (backfist) sequence - especially when the mawashi misses. If it's a full 360' mawashi it turns into a spinning backfist, if it's a short (also front) kick without the full turn you can still stick an uraken in there to stop the opponent from rushing in to capitalize on the missed kick.

I am a great fan of shoken or ippon-ken (fist with the middle phalange protruded, look it up) for self-defense but rather aimed at tender targets like eyes, groin and temples - which would be disallowed in MMA. Hitting the solar plexus accurately with nukite (spear hand) against a well-trained and prepared opponent would be very hard and and high risk / low reward technique IMHO.

Sokusen geri (toe kick) was done my Machida a few times but without devastating effect. Here is Machida landing a Maha Geri ("Brazilian kick") with his toe:

lyotofakekick01.gif

(BTW we need more maha geri in MMA!)

But his mae tobi geri (jumping front kick / crane kick) vs Randy was epic. Other fighters have used it well, like Paige Van Zant (though hers is more of a mawashi tobi geri / jumping roundhouse):

And of course, how could you forget Lord Artem's famous tetsui uchi (hammerfist)! :D

2PCiyQO.gif

Back