Shin guards hurt toes

There must be some confusing... Football shinguard are usually made of hard plastic:

42122901-zoom.jpg

Muay Thai shin guards are made of leather with some type of padding inside:

ftx-sp1-blk_a.jpg

The football ones, are not acceptable gear for Muay thai. If you have some "soft" kind, then you may want to ask your trainer if he thinks it's ok... But you should try to have proper gear for the specific sport, for your own safety, but also for your partners...
Oh no, my football ones aren't like those pictured at all. They have flexible plastic boning in tubes (like a corset) and gel ankle padding. They are quite nice. :)

Ok. I got some sizing for the insteps from a few places. Small at Boon is 15 cm, Small in RDX is 17cm. I need like 11-12 cm. Both of those mentioned are enough to cover my foot, my toes, and hang significantly over the end. I think maybe enough to trip me! lol. My shins are about 12" (30cm) from the bottom of kneecap to the ankle bend in the front and my feet are 15-16cm from the bend on the front of my ankle to the very end of my big toe.

I haven't found any children's ones that aren't the foam grappling style. I am not sparring, only training, but I do think that with the other people in the gym wearing the regular hard kind, I'm at a disadvantage with the foam ones. I did also confirm by feeling some of the ones at the gym that they are NOT plastic inside like I thought, but just as you guys said, they are some kind of firm foam or something.

Even for a woman, apparently my feet are small, though they used to be considered average. Most kids have larger feet than me!

I just want to say that you all have been so helpful and kind. I know it's a little unusual situation, but honestly, I'm one of the largest women in the gym - the Asian and Mexican girls are even smaller than me. They are wearing shin guards that completely cover their toes - which I have tried but they just hurt like the devil. Enough to make me quit the sport. The 2-part solution offered above so far looks the best. There is one grungy old pair of Combat Sports guards in the gym that fit and I like them, but the size is rubbed off the tag and the velcro is shot. I have looked for Combat, but can't find any like that style. They look like this if you can imagine these without the black elastic around the back and foot:
upload_2018-4-1_13-57-42.png
They are so old and grungy it's actually funny. Anybody seen this type but with the velcro back? Maybe I'll just buy these if I can find them in kids. Even the kids have the problem with proportions - foot small enough for me, then the shin is not tall enough. But that would be ok if I can just find small ones. Sigh. I feel like such a whiner. Seems like nothing will make me happy.

Thank you for the link.

Just wanted to report back that I found a solution. I was stuck in Anaheim for a few days, so I called Pro Boxing Equipment on Valley Drive (Los Angeles). After calling a couple other places that clearly didn't have what I wanted and weren't going to check sizes on the shelf, and visiting a really helpful guy at a local gym that had nothing in my size, I decided on this place. On the phone, he mentioned that maybe he could cut the end off for me.

The owner, (Mo I think), was super helpful. He pulled out a pair of size Small leather shin guards, and we discussed cutting them. In the end, my suggestion to cut the ankle side of the instep he agreed was going to look better than cutting the end off. Even though it took way longer, he did it because it was better. And he did it for free, all while I waited and while he dealt with a complicated business emergency. This guy was really cool, helpful and humored me and all my questions and pickiness and inexperience. I definitely recommend proboxingequipment.com.

In the end, we cut 2.5 inches off the instep of a pair of size Small shinguards (these: http://www.proboxingequipment.com/PRO-Leather-ELITE-SHINGUARDS_p_204.html). They fit fine now and I can train without pain!

Thanks so much to all of you who posted suggestions. I tried the fight style guards as a couple of you suggested (looks like the soft cloth grappling type), and those actually worked too.

You can try taping the side of the shin guard that's contacting your foot. I've had this problem with cheapass shin guards, but those are good ones that you're looking at. It's the stitch points that's scraping your toes, and it hurts at the cuticle area.

Shinguards can be a very tricky thing to decide on. This guide really helped me out when I chose mine. https://www.attacktheback.com/best-mma-shin-guards/
Your nickname is Attack the back and the link is the same. You also only have 1 message and post that link like you r a kickboxer that saw this information and liked it very much due to its perfect information...wow....I would never do something like that. disgusting. admin here? we need to stop these self sponsor posts. no shame at all..

Just wanted to report back that I found a solution. I was stuck in Anaheim for a few days, so I called Pro Boxing Equipment on Valley Drive (Los Angeles). After calling a couple other places that clearly didn't have what I wanted and weren't going to check sizes on the shelf, and visiting a really helpful guy at a local gym that had nothing in my size, I decided on this place. On the phone, he mentioned that maybe he could cut the end off for me.

and thanks for the link

Anybody ever have trouble with the instep/foot guards on their shin guards scraping or rubbing the skin on the top of their toes?

I have small feet (ladies size 6.5 which is about a men's size 4.5), so all the shin guards have basically too long of feet. I've been looking for shin guards that would be suitable for my little feet, but all sizing advice seems to be related to calf width. I haven't seen any threads about this particular problem anywhere, and most listings for the guards don't include measurements. (Though a few do, and they are all too large.) I live in a place where there are no places I could try them on within at least a 2 hour drive, maybe farther. The Fairtex size Small look like they might possibly work - I wish I could try them. I have tried on all the loaner ones at our gym, and they are all too long - I keep losing the skin on the top of my toes. Ouch! There is one pair that I like, an old Combat Sports, but they are super old, completely shot, and I can't read the tags, and I haven't been able to find anything like them online. Before I throw in the towel and just use my soccer guards and forego protecting my feet altogether (and looking like a dork), does anyone have any advice? Anyone ever tried children's ones?
Manlet detected...

Who needs shinguards anyway...

Im sorry i hijacked your thread, just messing around, i will leave now lol.

Back