Shin locks

snowman22

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Who uses shin locks when they roll? (Catch or bjj).

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I do.

When i have my back taken.

They usually dont tap, but they change position and afterward they get scared of me touching their legs.

Grappling is a tool box... the more tools, the better.

I would have called that an unorthodox toehold/heel hook instead of a "shin lock", depending on how it's applied. It clearly attacks the knee.

Having suffered a few bad knee injuries, that's also pretty much guaranteed to make me give up on whatever I was doing at the time. Internal rotation of the knee joint is not a thing.

I would have called that an unorthodox toehold/heel hook instead of a "shin lock", depending on how it's applied. It clearly attacks the knee.

Having suffered a few bad knee injuries, that's also pretty much guaranteed to make me give up on whatever I was doing at the time. Internal rotation of the knee joint is not a thing.
No. Pressure point and toe hold

Hulk Hogan legit had is leg broken with a shin lock by Hiro Matsuda. He it explained it happened extremely fast. Granted there is no remote level of grappling kill involved with Hulk Hogan , but it does hurt more than you might think, even for just a pain move.That video also isn't a good example of how to do it. It doesn't address pinning the leg and how to prevent your self from being chocked by proper positioning.I only had it done to me from being demoed, and never had anybody ever try it in comp or practice.

Last edited:
Hulk Hogan legit had is leg broken with a shin lock by Hiro Matsuda. He it explained it happened extremely fast. Granted there is no remote level of grappling kill involved with Hulk Hogan , but it does hurt more than you might think, even for just a pain move.That video also isn't a good example of how to do it. It doesn't address pinning the leg and how to prevent your self from being chocked by proper positioning.I only had it done to me from being demoed, and never had anybody ever try it in comp or practice.
The video was just to give some kind of visual.

After years of bjj, you indeed have to do a bit differently or you’ll get choked out.

I am never in danger the way i apply it.

A needed thread it seems!

I do.

When i have my back taken.

They usually dont tap, but they change position and afterward they get scared of me touching their legs.

Grappling is a tool box... the more tools, the better.

Do you do it the same way as cecchine does in the demo video above?

The video was just to give some kind of visual.

After years of bjj, you indeed have to do a bit differently or you’ll get choked out.

I am never in danger the way i apply it.

A needed thread it seems!

How do you do it without getting choked?

The pressure point being the elbow on the shin? I guess I see that. I'm still not sure I'd call that a "lock" but whatever, that's semantics.
Between the shin bone and calf muscle

In a rush right now; i will come back and explain.

But ive been using it for almost 10 years and never been choked...

Back