Shin locks

My coach put me in a shin lock and yes, it definitely hurts, you have to be aware of chokes of course but it's a pretty brutal move to be on the receiving end of.

What's the secret to making this work? Seems like there's mixed opinions as to whether this is effective.

It works against hooks... you may get choked out in competition though, it depends a lot on the foot and also the adrenaline running...it hurts, but people have are really stubborn in competition, don’t know if a high level athlete is going to tap from a shin pain....

Rogardong the video, as most of Tony’s sucks balls, if the choke is that deep, yeah your getting choked out.

I used to train freestyle sparring with this guy who was unbelievably strong, and the only submissions he ever did were pain compliance techniques like that (despite his years of Judo). People hated that guy. On occasion, someone who hated him (there were many) would tap him out while he was doing something like this.

Looking forward to your reply.
Yeah sorry, life was busy.

Of course, i could teach you that, live, in a minute, but lets try with words.

1-tuck your chin in and turn your head towards the leg you will attack.
2-grab the foot by the toes, and quickly lean forward and on your side(pinning the leg between your side and the mat)
3- apply the pressure with the elbow right between the shin bone and calf muscle.

4- push hard with elbow and pull the foot towards you. Its very important the leg is on the mat and well pinned. That will make you harder to choke (you r more balled up) puts more pressure(more painful), and restrain your partners movement to escape.

And

5-be ready to bail out. It might not work , so you’ll have to spin fast to face them. But you will go from having a guy attacking your back, to you being in their closed guard. They are usually happy to make that trade.

Even if it fails, it still hurts. You now have an opponent worrying everytime you touch their legs.
They suddenly retract their legs more and the guard becomes magically easier to pass.

Anyhow, if you ever pass by Montreal, drop me a line, the private class will be free.

PS thats just one shin lock. You can find other painful versions online from various positions.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry, life was busy.

Of course, i could teach you that, live, in a minute, but lets try with words.

1-tuck your chin in and turn your head towards the leg you will attack.
2-grab the foot by the toes, and quickly lean forward and on your side(pinning the leg between your side and the mat)
3- apply the pressure with the elbow right between the shin bone and calf muscle.

4- push hard with elbow and pull the foot towards you. Its very important the leg is on the mat and well pinned. That will make you harder to choke (you r more balled up) puts more pressure(more painful), and restrain your partners movement to escape.

And

5-be ready to bail out. It might not work , so you’ll have to spin fast to face them. But you will go from having a guy attacking your back, to you being in their closed guard. They are usually happy to make that trade.

Even if it fails, it still hurts. You now have an opponent worrying everytime you touch their legs.
They suddenly retract their legs more and the guard becomes magically easier to pass.

Anyhow, if you ever pass by Montreal, drop me a line, the private class will be free.

PS thats just one shin lock. You can find other painful versions online from various positions.

Thanks!

Back